This is why Track is so great (Read 661 times)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o6Alt2DssYc

Be careful, you may need a tissue or two when its over

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Needs more cowbell!

I...uh...I got something in my eye. *sniff*

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

BT,

Great youtube video.

I'm not sure that I concluded that  "track is so great" with that story.

Rather, I concluded that "people can be so good" when young and innocent.

It's too bad that we get to the point of finding this "special" or "unique" or "awesome" and can't just watch it saying "yep, that's the way it is."

With that being said, individual sports like track, cross country, and local races are truly great for special needs individuals (however special the need).  I could expand on that and tell a story that's close to home that's less emotional, and yet powerful, but I won't.

Dang it, I've decided to tell the story.

My oldest son finished his last day of highschool yesterday and graduates this weekend.  He's 18 and a great kid.  I'm very proud of him.  He was born weighing less than 2 pounds and had a lot of challenges (heart surgery, respiratory distress, etc.).  We're blessed to have him be able to finish highschool without any neurological challenges.  He left the hospital with a paralyzed vocal cord that has required surgeries over the past few years so that we can kind of hear him talk at the dinner table.  He has a genetic disorder that causes his bones to grow into his joints (periostosis?), limiting his range of motion within his knees to about 165 degrees (rather than the standard 180).  His achilles tendon is restricted due to the limited mobility in his knees and ankles. 

He loves sports more than most other kids.

Because of his 'minor' disability, he's unable to excel at team sports.  He hit his baseball and basketball ceiling in middle school.

However, he's able to do individual sports.

He's participated in triathlons.  He's run 5k races.

This spring, he "kind of" trained for a 15k race (Hot Chocolate in Dallas), and finished with a 9:30 average pace.   

For his age group, he was near the back, but "racing" or participating in events like these provide opportunities for him that are difficult to find within the competitive high school sports arena.

He's fortunate to have friends that understand who he is and the challenges he faces.

What's simple for some can be a mountain for others.

What's a mountain for some can be so simple for others.

The more we understand that, the better we are.

Cheers,
        Brian

2014 Goals:

#1: Do what I can do. <DOING>

#2: 365 Hours training

Needs more cowbell!

It's too bad that we get to the point of finding this "special" or "unique" or "awesome" and can't just watch it saying "yep, that's the way it is."

What's simple for some can be a mountain for others.

What's a mountain for some can be so simple for others.

The more we understand that, the better we are.

You PODd twice in one post, I think.

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

My son joined 6th grade swimming this year at his school.

It was rather low key.  They had only 3 meets and the whole season was about 6 weeks long.  I only could make it to 1 meet (they are at 3-5 PM).

Nobody even mentioned it while I was there but one of the girls who swam in about 3 events had no arm past the elbow (on one of her arms).  She wasn't first but she wasn't last. 

I was damn impressed that this girl would be taking on a challenge like that. 

In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white&fb_source=message

Thanks zoom-zoom (now that I know what POD means). Smile

http://www.teamcody.com/

My youngest son did a kid's triathlon with this boy (Cody) a couple years ago.  Pretty inspirational watching Cody swim through the water and go from the pool to the bike!

2014 Goals:

#1: Do what I can do. <DOING>

#2: 365 Hours training