Reading for Inspiration: Your favorite books about running (Read 935 times)

I have yet to sit and read an entire book about running but I hope to do so at some point. I do however, pick up running magazines from time to time. I totally enjoyed reading the Jesse Owens story.

Michelle

Shuggaar, the book you mentioned; The Non-Runner's Guide to Running a Marathon was the book I read before training for my first marathon. I thought it was very good. The other two books I have read and really enjoyed are: 1. To the Edge; A man, Death Valley and the Mystery of Endurance. 2. Running Within; A guide to mastering the body-mind-spirit connection for ultimate training and racing
      "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
        Probably the best would be: Trails in the Sand by Peter Dragon
        Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
          I read Marathon by Hal Higdon. Great info and a few stories, but mostly advice. Good enough advice I suppose as I am now on week 16 of 18 training for my first Marathon. I also read UltraMarathonMan by Dean Karnazes. Pretty easy and fun read about some amazing events that Ultra types do and the limits that the human body can endure. But it was really more about his "addiction to pain" and "how great he is", which kind of turned me off to him. Still a fun book and provided me some early inspiration to running. Not running, but reading Lance Armstrongs 2 books was very inspirational.
            As mentioned on the running and evolution thread, the best nonfiction on running I've read is Bernd Heinrich's account of training for (and breaking) the 100k world record. The title of the book is simple: Why We Run. It's a mix of accounts of insane training and evolutionary biology (Bernd's a trained biologist) that will turn you into an ultrarunner if you're not careful.
            That book is just awesome... great read.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.