Gatorade? (Read 587 times)

I was reading in a book that Gatorade is very good for after a longer run to replenish the carbs but when I looked at the label I see it is mostly sugars so my question is this. Would there be a difference between the sugars in Gatorade and perhaps the sugars in 100% natural orange juice? Thanks, Terry
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For recovery, not loads. For in-run carbs, the difference is primarily related to digestability. Gatorade uses easier to digest sugars than does OJ.
        Any simple carbohydrate source is going to do about the same for replenishing your glycogen stores (a glucose polymer stored in your liver and muscle fibers). That said, many studies have shown that adding a little protein to your post-run carbohydrate intake really improves recovery. In one study, low fat chocolate milk did an excellent job. Even better than high priced recovery drinks. Read here: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370 As nasty as it may sound to some, I have found skim (non-fat) milk both before, during, and after my long runs to work really well.

SMART Approach

Terry With orange juice you are dealing mostly with fructose which is a low glycemic sugar or slower releasing. Glucose is a high glycemic sugar, faster releasing. Post work out, blood flow to muscles is strong. The 30-45 minute window post work out is crucial to get glucose and fructose or other slow to digest carbs like maltodextrin into the muscles and and liver to replenish muscle and liver glycogen. Replenishing right after the work out replenishes carb stores 3X faster than waiting a couple hours post work out. While glucose is preferentially rushed back into muscles in the post workout state, fructose has a tendency to work its way into replenishing liver glycogen stores. The liver, when called upon, acts as a "glucose pump," releasing glycogen for conversion into glucose to meet blood sugar needs. Fructose, therefore, should also be included in the post-workout drink but not exclusively. Gatorade gives you a combination of slow and faster release carbs.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I read somewhere that slimfast shakes are pretty good for recovery too as they tend to have that carb/protein balance folks are looking for... the thing that jogged my memory on that one is that the author of the article prefers non-fat chocholate milk but I think mentioned the slimfast shakes because they don't have to be refridgerated... or that is the reason I use them instead of chocholate milk? hmm...