Columbus Marathon Dedication (Read 614 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I usually like to dedicate my marathon to someone or something and have decided to dedicate my Columbus Marathon to all of you who ran Chicago. Amazing what you had to go through. I think on behalf of the rest of RA that I can say we are very proud that you are one of us. Most people would have dropped out of this race knowing what the temperature was before it even started. If any of you have a mile you would like me to think of you for please let me know. I plan to have a sheet of paper that I will carry while running. If I can find the time I might even write all of your names on my shirt that I wear during the race somehow. I am open to suggestions on how best to do this without messing up the shirt. When I start to think about how hard the race is I plan to look at that piece of paper and imagine what you were going through while trying to run Chicago. Nothing at Columbus will compare to Chicago. The only numbers taken are 26 for a friend of mine who ran Chicago and the final .2 for my faimily.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      I think on behalf of the rest of RA that I can say we are very proud that you are one of us.
      I can't imagine anyone on RA feeling any differently, just trying it shows a great deal of personal strength. Great idea Bearcat.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

As long as no one has staked a claim yet, write me in for mile 16. That's when I realized that the wheels were going to come off and I had two choices: quit or HTFU. And I'm no quitter. Cool What a great way to show support for the RA running community and your fellow runners. Have an awesome race -- especially in mile 16!

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Durchal

Thanks for the idea and the support after a disappointing day. I'd like to be your Mile 20 buddy, as that was the point where the first confusing announcements about the cancellation were made. It was a really strange experience - and it took about a mile for everyone around me to understand the real meaning and impact. Most of us would have continued - but weaving through a crowd of walkers would have been ridiculous. It was truly a PW (Personal Worst) for almost everyone - by about 80 minutes for me. Still, I have no regrets - it was something to remember and talk about for years to come. Not surprisingly, the current temperature is 49!
          Mishka-old log

Ooooh! Can I have mile 23? That's were I was alternating between walking and trying to force myself to puke by jabbing at my gut. Never did puke, but right there was one of the biggest running battles of my life. Good luck in Columbus!
            derek

I'll take mile 13. That was probably the first point where I seriously considered calling it day as I would have had the shortest walk back to my hotel, but I then decided I wasn't going to quit just because things got a little tough.

Derek

btb1490

Chad Schieber - died during Chicago marathon Unknown Runner - died during Army 10 miler Perhaps you could dedicate a mile for each one of these people and their families. Great idea btw!

You'll ruin your knees!

I'd like to suggest you dedicate mile 22 (if it's not taken, if it is, pick one) to Bernie. You may remember him as The Running Man or FatManRunning. He overcame some major challenges with weight and cancer, but last we heard, the cancer battle was still raging...that was early in May. I try and dedicate a part of every race I do to Bernie, perhaps we could all spend a mile thinking about/praying for him. Lynn MTA: I picked 22, cause it's where the wall hangs out...let's hope Bernie is still battling...lots of walls to get through, around, over...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Lazy idiot

Bearcat, I think this is an awesome idea. Can't wait to see how you're going to do this!

Tick tock

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Should I use real names (the first name) or RA user names? I am leaning towards usernames. Currently I have: Mile 13 - derek Mile 16 - Berner Mile 20 - durchal Mile 22 - Bernie Mile 23 - Mishka Mile 26 - Dan Mile 26.2 My faimily Now as fill in miles I have Schieber Fairfax County Guy Samantha (daughter) Ethan (heir to the throne) Sarah (daughter) Phyllis (wife) Switzer Phidippides Now if I give individual miles to my children and wife then I might give the final .2 to my boy NateDog since he is driving me up and back plus will be waiting an hour and a half for me to finish after running his half. Then will be putting up with me being all smelly in his car and finding a Chipoltle when I finally feel like eating Big grin Anyone else want a mile that ran in Chicago. You didn't have to finish. Your effort to even start and give it a try is worth a spot on this list. As for fill in miles anyone have any other suggestions of famous people or not so famous people but who should be remembered?
                        2011 Goals:
                      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Bearcat, I think this is an awesome idea. Can't wait to see how you're going to do this!
                        Drew: I have no idea yet. I'm tempted to just buy a tech running shirt and have the names put on. Anyone have any ideas? I hate to run in something I haven't done a 20 miler in yet. I plan to have the names on a wrist band I have (might be cool to have one of those QB arm bands on that have the plays Cool) However, I would really like it to be on my shirt or a hat so that everyone can see the names. The wrist band part would be for me so that I have an easy way to see who I should be thinking about during each mile.
                          2011 Goals:
                          The FAQ on http://www.runningbanana.com/index.html says it takes about 3 weeks to ship, and I'm pretty sure you are running in about 10 days? The FAQ says you can call to request rush service, they might move you to the front of the line when they hear what you are putting on it.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

va

One Option Good luck!
                            RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Yes I am running on Oct 21st so that may be a problem. I am going to contact them tomorrow and see what they say. If they can do it I will order tomorrow. Currently this is what I have: Front: Go Mikey Go The people I run for: Mile 01 - Schieber Mile 03 - Ethan Mile 05 - Sarah Mile 09 - Samantha Mile 10 - Fairfax County Guy Mile 12 - Phyllis Mile 13 - derek Mile 16 - Berner Mile 20 - durchal Mile 22 - Bernie Mile 23 - Mishka Mile 24 - Phidippides Mile 26 - Dan Mile 26.2 Nate Dog *miles not dedicated I run for myself On the back: Advanced Running: "If you start to feel good during a marathon don't worry, that will pass."
                                2011 Goals:
                              RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

VA123: Have you ever tried those before? Not sure if it will work with mine since it is a HP photosmart 2610xi all in one printer? Any clue if it will or how hard this is?
                                  2011 Goals: