Do you take a yearly sabbatical from running? (Read 968 times)

Bugs

Do you force yourself to take 2-3 week period of no running each year to give your legs a break from the pounding? Why I ask: I am considering aqua jogging for 2+ weeks after my marathon because I want to stay in shape but don't want to break down this winter from overuse. The smarter voice in my head says this is a wise thing to do, the rest of me wants to keep running.

Bugs

vengeancewins

I take two weeks off a year: one in June after track season ends and one in November when Cross Country season ends. To answer your question: I would say that aqua jogging would be a good idea. It will keep you in really good shape and at the same time give your legs a good rest.
        I generally take a couple weeks recovery after the last summer race (like right now) to catch up with rest of life, get house / yard ready for winter, enjoy some hiking and/ or mtn biking (without caring how long, how high, how far) before we get too much snow (ok , 2 of the hikes were in snow), donate blood, etc. Some years I may do some really easy running during that time period, but this year I had a long buildup for my summer races, and we had a lot of rain, so I'm chillin' out for a couple weeks. I hike or bike when the sun's out.Smile This is both a physical and mental break. Just about every periodization program I've seen either starts or ends with recovery of some sort. The one I'm looking at now has 1-4 wks for "recover, rest, rejuvenate." I'll also do a significant cutback in mid to late March (or during an icy period or whatever works) for 1 wk to shift from winter to more summer like running (shift from base to race prep), but I usually maintain some running in there. Go for it! Do some aqua jogging, hiking, whatever.
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          I've been running for about 15-16 months now. Last year I stopped running in January/most of February when I got sick of going to the YMCA to use the treadmill (too much snow/ice here). I still regret it to this day. Smile I blame it for my poor 5k time in March after starting again,and I blame every ache I have had during the year on it! Never again!

Old, Slow, Happy

I started running about 5 years ago. I have been increasing my distance consistently since then. I have never taken more than a day or two off since I started. This year I had two injuries. This February I tore my calf muscle. I did eliptical training until I felt I could get back on it. Now I'm just recovering from runners knee. You can see the dip in mileage if you look at my log. I also ride my bicycle a bunch when the weather is good. I am wondering if taking a week or two off might be a good idea. I have a 10 mile race coming up in Nov. that I may not be ready for. I can tell by your picture that you're much younger than I am. If you're considering a break, maybe I should too. Don't you hate listening to the "smarter voice" in your head?
            mikeymike

After a marathon I take aweek almost completely off--I may do a really easy run or two at the end of the week if I'm feeling good, or not. And I take the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas "off" but I don't stop running altogether. I do maybe half my normal mileage and don't do any hard workouts, take days off once in a while. I don't think there's any downside of taking 2 weeks of aqua jogging after a marathon.

Runners run

xor

Real Life tends to dictate my sabbaticals for me. But theoretically, I think I probably would take 1-2 weeks off twice a year. I wouldn't sit on the couch for that time... I'd find something else cool to do. Like sea kayaking and surfing.... two things I'd like to do but rarely have time. I'd also like to do more snow skiing. But I have huge dread that I'm going to hurt myself doing this and screw up my running. Doing it on a running sabbatical probably wouldn't remove this dread so oh well.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yeah, a couple of years ago I was doing my normal snail-like traversing across a ski hill, and a middle-aged lady came screaming down and skied right into me! My MCL was badly torn, and I couldn't do anything for months. It's finally back to normal, but it sure felt wobbly for a long time. This past winter, I took exactly one ski run at Sugarloaf (VT), and decided to punt. I was so nervous it was no fun.
                  mikeymike

Sugarloaf (VT),
                    Foul. And you're a Mainer, no excuse. The Loaf is in Maine. The Bush is in Vermont.

Runners run

JimR

I'll cut back during December, that's about it. Once the snow hits, I end up running slow enough it doesn't really matter.

Do you force yourself to take 2-3 week period of no running each year to give your legs a break from the pounding? Why I ask: I am considering aqua jogging for 2+ weeks after my marathon because I want to stay in shape but don't want to break down this winter from overuse. The smarter voice in my head says this is a wise thing to do, the rest of me wants to keep running.
                        A recovery phase is necessary, whether you keep things light or you take time completely off. I spent a few years trying to take a full month off of running and concentrate on swimming and lifting, but I go too stir crazy and don't last that long anymore. There's something to be said to maintaining your fitness year-round, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take a month or two of easy workouts/cross training/gradually building back up before you begin your next base building phase.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Foul. And you're a Mainer, no excuse. The Loaf is in Maine. The Bush is in Vermont.
                          Heh..I'm originally from Maine and I was looking at that thinking "Is there another Sugarloaf over in Vermont too??" Smile Man...I had my first ski lessons there as a kid back in the late '70s... *daydreams*
                          Run like you stole something.
                            I don't purposely do it but last Nov. when my mom was sick I took 4+ weeks off then when she died in July I took about 5 weeks off. Something always seems to happen that knocks me on my ass once a year. Here's to hoping 2009 doesn't have any of that crap.
                            ~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.
                              I don't purposely do it but last Nov. when my mom was sick I took 4+ weeks off then when she died in July I took about 5 weeks off. Something always seems to happen that knocks me on my ass once a year. Here's to hoping 2009 doesn't have any of that crap.
                              Sorry to hear that, hoping 2009 is a better year for you.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

I thought of taking December completely off, but I don't think I can do it. Instead, I'm planning on dropping down to 3 runs/ week - 1 will be outdoors on groomed trails, the other 2 will be on either an indoor track or treadmill. I'm looking forward to changing my focus to strength training for awhile, and also try to catch up to the bike bunny.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group