Trochanteric bursitis recovery (Read 33 times)

lulucullen

Hello!

We recently went back into lockdown in NZ so out of need to get out of the house I increased my mileage quite a bit (from 6km 6 days a week to 8km 7 days a week) and it was probably too much too soon because I have injured my hip. I think it may be trochanteric bursitis as my symptoms (pain in one hip, difficulty walking, sharp pain during leg abduction) and possible causes (overuse, uneven ground, hill training, one leg longer than the other) fit the description.

I rely on exercise a lot for mental health, so I was wondering what the expected recovery time is before I can get back to running? Does anyone have any recommendations of how I can speed up the recovery process and cross-train in the meantime?

(I am 17 and weigh 46kg if that helps with your recommendations Smile)

LitchfieldHills

I have had to deal with this.  First things first - reduce your mileage back to where you were before the issue.

When I had this I went to a physical therapist.  Here are some of the exercises and stretches that I started doing, and continue to do so to avoid any flareups:

• Clamshells
      • If you have a therapy band, wrap it around both your ankles and sidestep several times to either side.
      • Side leg raises
      • Pigeon pose
      • Sit in a chair.  Place your right ankle on top of your left knee.  Lean forward to stretch.  Repeat with the opposite side.
      • Sit in a chair.  Place your right thigh on top of your left thigh.  Lean forward to stretch.  Repeat with the opposite side.

Good luck