Where in the World? (Read 255 times)

Chantilly75

Visit Easter Island and run their marathon.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

New Zealand and go on some of these top NZ Treks.

I've been to far more places that I ever imagined I would get to including Alaska, Machu Picchu, Iceland, Norway, and Paris.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GC100k

More realistically, I would like to explore the Karakoram in northern Pakistan. 

I spent some time there in the 80s.  It is really cool and I would love to go back.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

More realistically, I would like to explore the Karakoram in northern Pakistan.  That is probably number one right now.

Unfortunately I think that is listed as one of the most dangerous places to travel and that's not because of the mountains.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Kalsarikännit

Unfortunately I think that is listed as one of the most dangerous places to travel and that's not because of the mountains.

I don't think they have had problems there just because they are isolated from the rest of Pakistan. Also, while it may not be a tourist hotspot, they certainly get their fair share of dollars from mountaineers thanks to their 8000m peaks and the Trango Towers. The people are dependent on tourist money. They also practice Ismaili Islam which is more moderate.

I do have one hesitation.  There is nowhere I won't go alone. I like traveling by myself. This would probably not be a great place for a solo trip.

GC100k, what did you do there?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

L Train

Aren't you supossed to be on a plane or something?

Kalsarikännit

Aren't you supossed to be on a plane or something?

Waiting on my connecting flight.

You haven't shared your dream trip with the class.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

GC100k

GC100k, what did you do there?

I was working in the Afghan refugee camps near Peshawar.  I forget what our excuse was to go up to Swat and then further somewhere.  It's all kinda vague at this point.  I remember at one point the locals pointing to a mountain in the distance and telling us it was K2, but I've since found out that you really can't see K2 from anywhere (which is why it never had even a local name), so it must have been something else (Nanga Parbat?).  The other American guys and I had to drive to India to renew our visas and the non-Americans went up to Gilgit and some places and later regaled us with tales of how wonderful it was.  Meanwhile we were sleeping on the ground outside the truck by rivers in India and I got Malaria.

I do have more clear memories of going to Chitral and then some valleys past there, but I think that's Hindu Kush not Karakoram.  That was really super cool too.  Rushing rivers, glaciers, exotic Kalash people.  It was summer and we were just young guys with no gear or tents or anything, we just laid down on the ground when it was night or found someone who would put us up.  I didn't speak any of the local languages but the guys with me did so I didn't know what was going on half the time.

Me in Chitral, 1983:

Chitral

I'm waiting for someone to mention another exotic bucket list place where I spent a couple years and do speak the language, but I'll wait for it to pop up.

ReadySetToke

The island of Ibiza! During the summer of course ; )

Rave all night and have a nice run on the spectacular beach the next day : )

zonykel

Australia is a nice place to visit.

Feeling the growl again

I would group this by the reason I would want to travel there:

Vacation:

Europe - countries TBD (Spain, France, UK?) - likely upcoming 10th anniversary trip

Family history:

Scotland, Germany - where the two branches of my family originate...though the part of Germany we came from has now ended up in western Poland.  I really want to go to Scotland.

Recreation:

Africa - big game hunting.  Not the posed, walk-along-and-shoot-stuff crap they show on TV.  Get in the brush and DIY, adrenaline-seeping-from-your-pores-up-and-close stuff.  A buddy served in Iraq with a guy from South Africa who could make this happen so it may come about one day.

People/culture:

Too numerous to choose from.  I love gaining perspective from new cultures.  Probably somewhere rural.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

NHLA

I would group this by the reason I would want to travel there:

Vacation:

Europe - countries TBD (Spain, France, UK?) - likely upcoming 10th anniversary trip

Family history:

Scotland, Germany - where the two branches of my family originate...though the part of Germany we came from has now ended up in western Poland.  I really want to go to Scotland.

Recreation:

Africa - big game hunting.  Not the posed, walk-along-and-shoot-stuff crap they show on TV.  Get in the brush and DIY, adrenaline-seeping-from-your-pores-up-and-close stuff.  A buddy served in Iraq with a guy from South Africa who could make this happen so it may come about one day.

People/culture:

Too numerous to choose from.  I love gaining perspective from new cultures.  Probably somewhere rural.

I went big game hunting in Africa. Something will happen that will scare you. Practice crawling on the ground for miles and carrying  all your gear.  I used a rifle stock with wts to feel like carrying a gun all day.

I would like to check out China.  Not all the tourist trips. Just some local living and hanging around.  I would try to run the Great wall marathon FOR SURE!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Kyoto in October and while there visit the graves of Issa and Ryokan.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Let's say you got to take your dream vacation. Anywhere in the world from one week to three months. Money is no object. Work isn't a concern. Your job will be waiting for you when you come back. Since RA'ers breed like rabbits, the kid thing isn't an issue. Take them with, the grandparents or aunts and uncles are happy to watch them, or you do this trip once you have schlepped them off to college.

Where have you always dreamt of going?  What would you like to do or explore?

Deep Wells. Dur.