Tips for shorts (Read 135 times)

OK, I need to get some new running gear for summer and I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. So I am looking for tips. I know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but I am wondering if compression shorts are the right thing or not.

I run with a type of compression short under my running shorts. They flex where I need it and are wicking, so that's just what I've always done. But... almost every brand I have ever tried do not fit me well. I am not svelte, but the real issue is I have big thighs. So the XL pairs are almost always too snug on the thigh and loose on the waistband. The L pairs fit in the waist but rip out on the thighs because they just are not a fit at all there.

Is there a brand made for the thick thigh issue? I haven't seen one in a few Google searches.

I can get chaffing on anything more than 70 or 80 minutes. So a good brand that avoids seams in the wrong areas sure help.

Is there another way to do this? I mean, I guess I've never run just free and easy down there, but I can't imagine that's comfortable.

zebano

Obligatory comment: Keep the tip in the shorts.

2 slightly more thoughts:

1. I don't know that anyone runs "free and easy down there". Most running shorts have a built in liner that provides a little bit of support. If you have big thighs you may have rubbing that requires tights or something like Body Glide to prevent chaffing.

2. Compression tights are naturally really tight, have you tried more of a half tight like some guys wear at track meets? without the compression aspect, there's a lot more give in the size of the thighs. I have one pair by 2xu and another by Asics and I love them both (you really don't need shorts over them but do whatever makes you comfortable). Half tights are also made to be run in so I haven't had any issues with seams.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not a dude, but I run into the same problem with a lot of women's compression bottoms. Frequently tri shorts fit the best, since they're designed for beefy quads, relative to waist. The only issue is the thin chamois, which is kinda overkill for running, but the chamois tends to protect against otherwise ill-placed seams. Though they tend to be a lot pricier. Not sure if Old Navy makes men's compression shorts, but their women's stuff really works well for oversized quads. And they're cheap, which is always a treat.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zebano

Not a dude, but I run into the same problem with a lot of women's compression bottoms. Frequently tri shorts fit the best, since they're designed for beefy quads, relative to waist. The only issue is the thin chamois, which is kinda overkill for running, but the chamois tends to protect against otherwise ill-placed seams. Though they tend to be a lot pricier. Not sure if Old Navy makes men's compression shorts, but their women's stuff really works well for oversized quads. And they're cheap, which is always a treat.

Agreed on the chamois, it's not ideal but it's way better than normal bike shorts. I will add that IME tri shorts are often much shorter than other types of spandex shorts so pay attention to inseam length.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have found that the seams in runners' shorts' liners chafe badly. Sad  I just wear tagless boxer briefs that are moderately snug and made of soft knit fabric. Something I wish I had discovered a lot sooner: Put the Body Glide liberally on the seams of the shorts, rather than on your skin. It makes a world of difference.

Different shorts for different needs.

On me, the compression type shorts cause skin on skin chafing in the places we don't mention in public; just on running forums. I tried going a size larger so the fabric could wedgie itself between places where the skin on skin rubbing happens, with mixed results.

I typically wear 3-5" loose shorts with the built-in brief for runs up to 60-90 minutes. Longer than 90 minutes or when it's hot, I use bodyglide or similar (the Arm and Hammer stuff is pretty good, and a lot cheaper). On one Grand Canyon run, I got rubbed raw by the briefs despite the bodyglide. With my handy mini Leatherman, I cut the brief so there were no seams to rub me, and all was well again (except when I took a shower afterwards, youch!). So, my multi-hour desert protocol now is to wear shorts with no liner/brief built in, and a pair of running underwear (I like the Asics ASX brief, not the boxer length style). That way if/when the seams start to chafe I can just free-ball it and stick the briefs in my pack.

My choice of shorts has boiled down over the years to baggy 5" shorts. I find them cooler in hot weather because there is airflow, and less restrictive cuz baggy. 2-3" split shorts for races or real hot weather. Brooks Sherpa 5" are my standard fare, but I have an off-brand pair of 3" split shorts that are great, Cabrillo I think. Running Warehouse for $10 on sale a few years ago.  I also have a couple different pairs of shorts from Decathlon, one with built in compression liner and the other similar to the Sherpa. The Rabbit shorts look good, especially the FKT, but a little out of my price range.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Larger thighs here.

Mostly wear 3" inseam with liner and Body-glide.

On 20milers I'd wear so-called 2-in-1 shorts 5".  The inside liner isn't really "compression".  They're just mid-thigh spandex.  Not loose.  Not tight.  Brooks used to make a great seamless pair.  Nike made a pair where the seam ran right down the center of either buttock -- which disqualified them from any serious running.  Bought them 8 years ago.

In a quick look, i could only find a women's version that was similar: https://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/38245/womens-brooks-chaser-5-2in1-shorts/

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Larger thighs here.

On 20milers I'd wear so-called 2-in-1 shorts 5".  The inside liner isn't really "compression".  They're just mid-thigh spandex.  Not loose.  Not tight. 

Ditto here on the thighs and the benefits of longer liners that aren't really compression.  They do help keep down the thigh chafing, though I find those liners can chafe the perineum.  In warmer weather I'll go with 3" split sides and rely on Body Glide to deal with the thigh chafing.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

I ordered a couple pair of what are called "2 in 1" running shorts. Basically shorts with a liner that looks like a compression short but we'll see, maybe not so tight in the thighs.

Thanks.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Simple: I just run in boxer briefs. I buy the nice, slick ones from Pair of Thieves (from Target) and then I can wear any cheap running shorts I want. They do not feel like compression shorts at all. I usually wear the Under Armour running shorts with the "Speed Pocket" to securely hold my cell phone. I also wear the boxer briefs under my swim trunks at the pool/beach for better comfort.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Luciplay

Thank you for sharing your thoughts in here. I have been looking for one as well.

airtravelmart

Spam

Hey, how can I report these spam ads? Didn't there used to be a link to report them?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Hey, how can I report these spam ads? Didn't there used to be a link to report them?

I thought so too.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Censored and banned...booyah!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay