Spring Classic HM RR (Read 371 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Spring Classic HM Race Report This was my second time running this race, both times the drive there was poor visibility (last year snow - this year fog). Weather was decent, mid to upper 30s at start time. I went with shorts, light shirt and a $.50 pair of gloves. It was the perfect choice. Start time was 9:00 and by then the fog had burned off but it was still a bit chilly. And we're off - Mile 1: 9:08, a little faster than I wanted but a decent first mile. Mile 2: 9:01 feeling relaxed (as relaxed as I can be in a race) and trying to hold back. Mile 3: 8:48, faster than I wanted but feeling strong. Decide to reign it in but try to keep it sub 9:00 Mile 4: 8:54, nearly perfect Mile 5: 9:03 perhaps a slight loss of mental focus but not an unsatisfactory mile Mile 6: 8:57, another perfect mile Mile 7: 9:00 starting to have to dig. I've never raced a HM really well. I start to wonder at what point it's supposed to get tough because it's starting to get a little tough right here. Running past the finish line was a double edged sword - people cheering always helps but running past the finish line blows. I toss my gloves as I pass the finishing chute. Mile 8: 8:55, I give myself permission to ease up just a tiny bit (9:00 would be just fine) until mile 10 and then try to pick it up on the last 3. Mile 9: 8:52 and starting to dig. Picking up the pace at mile 10 is highly unlikely at this point. I decide to finish the race with nice even splits. Mile 10: 8:58, trying like the dickens to just hold on and not let my miles bleed out. Mile 11: 9:18 - allowed myself to walk through a water stop and am having doubts about sub 2:00 Mile 12: 10:11 - Things are starting to unravel. I walk for one minute, plus a walk through a water stop. Hurting and frustrated, I feel the race slipping away from me Mile 13+: SCREW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think of Bugs and how it would be nice if she could run this race. My mom's at the finish line. Her health is poor. She has a hard time walking, let alone running. It's a gorgeous day by now, low 50s and sunny. I have no right to feel bad for myself. I HTHU and run this mile in 9:08. It wasn't until I was about 200 yards from the finish line that I was sure I was going to make it. I still had a half mile to go and the devil on my shoulder said "You know, you're ahead of the game. You could walk for 20-30 seconds and still break 2:00. It hurt pretty bad. I was about 200 yards from the finish line when someone said "2 hours! You're under 2 hours!". It felt great. As a bonus, my training partner got a second and third opinion on her leg and both of them said the first opinion was mach ado about nothing. She finished in 1:50:12. I even got my gloves back.
      Way to go Mr Inertia, It's VERY tough to do what you did that last mile after things has started to come unraveled. Doesn't a 1:59:42 sound so much better than a 2:00:01? This experience will serve you well in the races to come too. Congratulations on your sub 2 hr and a new PR
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Way to dig and find a second wind, nice race and report.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.