Addictive web site (Read 684 times)

cmb4314

Great game!   Are the people who are posting the higher scores using google etc. to look up clues they get from signs, etc.?  I am not googling anything, and I can't seem to score above 13,000.

That's what I was wondering.  Because I've been able to narrow down quite a few countries, and even areas of some countries, by just moving around.  I knew one was rural England, figured another was in Florida, saw a warm looking place with some Italian words and got southern Italy, but I'd have to google to get much closer than 500 miles most of the time.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Hip Redux

That's what I was wondering.  Because I've been able to narrow down quite a few countries, and even areas of some countries, by just moving around.  I knew one was rural England, figured another was in Florida, saw a warm looking place with some Italian words and got southern Italy, but I'd have to google to get much closer than 500 miles most of the time.

Not Googling here.

My husband just emailed me from work "Thanks for showing me this. I am getting no work done!"  HA!

Mmmmm...beer

How the hell did you guess that little island off of Norway correctly!  Damn.

I was googling. Smile  Playing again now without googling.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Googling is cheating, people!! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mmmmm...beer

Googling is cheating, people!! Tongue

If you're not cheating, you're not trying! Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

RunJasonRun

This is pretty awesome.  I guessed within 500 miles of the location during my first try.  (British Columbia)

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

running metalhead

Cool game!! THX for sharing!!
                It's pretty cool and not stupid.

http://url.geoguessr.com/3ljE

I tried to find clues in the signs and was quite fortunate... well, except one that looked Asian to me, I guessed "Myanmar" and it was some place in Ukraine, ROFL XD

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

I've now managed to completely derail productivity of all my colleagues here at work for a full day, plus several people's evenings last night. Eeexcellent! </Mr. Burns hands>

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

Mmmmm...beer

Russia sucks, I can always tell it's Russia, but have yet to be able to figure out where the hell I am and I've been dropped there four times so far.  lol  Middle of nowhere in South Africa is tough too, went forever down a dirt road with no clues.  15,114 is my highest so far without googling. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

AnneCA

25045 - and, hell yes I Googled.  http://url.geoguessr.com/3lus  The poor-focus ones are a challenge.  I give you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbered_highways_in_the_United_States A visual directory of US state highway signs.

I agree Russia is the pits.  Can't read the signs, and I have no idea of the geography of Russia, so I can't even say "this looks like a northern city" or "a southern city."  Lucky that the Google van hasn't been much around China yet.

cmb4314

I just remembered this xkcd comic Smile

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Hip Redux

HA!  I got dropped into some sort of Snoopy Pavilion... in Japan. lol   Wha?

I just remembered this xkcd comic Smile

MrH

http://url.geoguessr.com/3lE0

The next time I played I was dropped in a field somewhere with no ability to navigate. I guessed Finland, but it was near Moscow. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Mmmmm...beer

The link didn't work, so I took a screenshot, 21,363 with no googling. Smile  I would have scored higher, but Canada screwed me, I figured out the town and knew it was on highway 37, but 37 runs the entire length of British Columbia and I couldn't find the damn town.  So I had to guess and of course I guessed wrong. Japan was a complete lucky guess, I was in a park that had a sign for a waterfall, couldn't really go anywhere else, guessed it was Japan and guessed southern Japan just from the foliage and was about 270km off, not bad.  I don't usually get sucked into games/apps, but this one has me hooked.

-Dave

My running blog

Hip Redux

I am becoming very familiar with the terrain and backroads of Australia.  Roll eyes