Whey Protein (Read 1520 times)

I have only recently been reading about this.  Thoughts from anyone?

I'm currently sidelined with an injury, but when running, I do ultra trail running.  Since I've been benched, I've been giving my diet a hard look and am trying to do better.  Was wondering if whey protein is a plus or a lot of hype.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.

1. Eat food. Though in our current state of confusion, this is much easier said than done. So try this: Don’t eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food. (Sorry, but at this point Moms are as confused as the rest of us, which is why we have to go back a couple of generations, to a time before the advent of modern food products.) There are a great many foodlike items in the supermarket your ancestors wouldn’t recognize as food (Go-Gurt? Breakfast-cereal bars? Nondairy creamer?); stay away from these.

2. Avoid even those food products that come bearing health claims. They’re apt to be heavily processed, and the claims are often dubious at best. Don’t forget that margarine, one of the first industrial foods to claim that it was more healthful than the traditional food it replaced, turned out to give people heart attacks. When Kellogg’s can boast about its Healthy Heart Strawberry Vanilla cereal bars, health claims have become hopelessly compromised. (The American Heart Association charges food makers for their endorsement.) Don’t take the silence of the yams as a sign that they have nothing valuable to say about health.

It's a good supplement if you don't get enough protein in your diet from "real" food.  I've been taking protein almost daily for 10 years.  I use to try and bodybuild.  When I decided to go the lean route and then found running, I continued taking it after workouts.  It's important to fuel your body with protein after workouts and most of the time I'm on the go after working out.  Taking protein is the best alternative and it's easy.

Best Present Ever

I use whey protein that comes in a form called "milk."  It's great with coffee, also with cereal.  Sometimes I eat it in the form called "cottage cheese."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It's bad to supplement instead of eating "real" food.  ...  It's important to eat real foods, some with protein, after workouts. If I'm on the go after working out and cannot eat real food, perhaps I should question my priorities and my approach to healthfulness.  After all, whey proteins in the form of simple yogurt smoothies is the best alternative and it's easy.

FTFY

Wink

Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.

A few weeks ago I was walking along a street and I spotted another man sitting & reading that book. 

I chucked when I notice the guy was eating a Power Bar.  Perhaps he had just started the book. 

MrH

I've been taking protein almost daily for 10 years.

So it's become a whey of life?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

DoppleBock

When I am training a lot - It is damn hard to get enough protein.  I love to eat, but when I am sitting there after dinner knowing I need a lot more protein, its just easier to take whey protein.

The other benefit of good whey protein - It is absorbed really fast.

I have always used NytroWhey Extreme from Pro-Source.  Best Whey protein for the dollar spent.

Here is the Blah, Blah, Blah on it - Sadly they are discontinuing it and the replacement is a little lower quality.

NytroWhey Extreme incorporates the same peak-performing whey protein isolate derived from advanced CFMprocessing that is found in original NytroWhey.

WPI is a pure, easily digested, and utilized protein source with uniquely high levels of BCAAs and EAs (Essential Aminos) and is well recognized to yield the highest biological value of any protein in existence. It's also high in the disulfide form of the amino acid cysteine that helps contribute to the recovery process by decreasing oxidation levels, which can impede recuperation. In addition, because oxidative stress contributes to muscular fatigue, WPI may also be useful in attenuating these effects through increased synthesis of glutathione, a potent antioxidant.(1) The addition of Arginine AKG simply takes the original NytroWhey's radical anabolism to an entirely new level.

This potent nitric-oxide-based, rapid-action vasodilator acts as a high-powered delivery system that literally floods your muscles with nutrients, including the premium-quality BCAAs and all the protein fractions found in superior whey isolate. It also amplifies muscle-growth signals,(2) accelerates fast-twitch muscle strength, stimulates faster recovery, enhances endurance and even adds real structural proteins to the nuclei of your muscle cells,(3) for enhanced mass gains. And the pump you'll feel is truly phenomenal!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

A few weeks ago I was walking along a street and I spotted another man sitting & reading that book. 

I chucked when I notice the guy was eating a Power Bar.  Perhaps he had just started the book. 

Big grin

Thanks.  I thought this might bring Trent out.  I should've known right off the bat what he would say. Wink Smile

(I'm bored with being benched.)

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I use whey protein that comes in a form called "milk."  It's great with coffee, also with cereal.  Sometimes I eat it in the form called "cottage cheese."

Not many people will make this connection .  I get asked regularly which protein supplement is better, Whey or Soy, I always say Yogurt.

Scout7

I've been taking protein almost daily for 10 years.

I've been taking in protein daily for almost 35 years.

I loves me a good cheeseburger.....

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So it's become a whey of life?

Nice.

And I agree with you Trent.  I work at home so it's easy for me to come home and get my protein from food after I workout.  I usually do whey protein for an afternoon snack.  I do have those days when I need to go into the office and my day consists of meeting, another meeting, workout at lunch, and immediately back to another meeting.  This is when I have my shaker with a scoop of protein with me.  After the workout, add some water, shake, and drink as I drive back to work for the meeting. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

.  I get asked regularly which protein supplement is better, Whey or Soy, I always say Yogurt.

Which yogurt? How will will it mix with fruit for a smooth?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Plain unsweetened kind, which you can buy in bigger containers than those single use ones.  Don't really make smoothies, I'll add a touch of sugar to it, otherwise also mix with water and add a pinch salt for after run recovery drink.  Probably a bit of an acquired taste  to eat the unsweetened kind