Whey Protein (Read 1520 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

full fat plain yogurt mix w/ most any sweet fruit.  i don't recommend cantaloupe thoughTight lips

turn into smoothie or just eat chunky.

steph  

You can also put yogurt and juice together, shake vigorously, drink.  I had completely forgotten about this until now.  Roll eyes

I eat a lot of yogurt anyway.  I make my own granola and on an almost daily basis I eat a chunked up apple, granola, and yogurt with a little bit of cinnamon sprinkled over the top.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I eat a lot of yogurt anyway.  I make my own granola and on an almost daily basis I eat a chunked up apple, granola, and yogurt with a little bit of cinnamon sprinkled over the top.

i forgot.  i also add nutmeg.  sometimes w/ cinnamon.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

When I was lifting weights and needed extra protein, I was dirt poor so I used powdered milk instead of whey protein.  Seemed to work fine.

Sometimes when you are trying to get a heavy dose of protein in, if you do it with just regular food you end up with an unbalanced diet or have to take in too many calories overall to get it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Best Present Ever

Unsweetened strained (Greek) yogurt with cut up fruit or berries or frozen fruit (awesome after a hot run) and some cereal on top is my standard breakfast. I'm confused by the statements that it's hard to get enough protein from food. Plain Greek nonfat yogurt is almost 100% protein. Chicken breast, as well. Salmon pouches have some fat, but good health fats, and are otherwise almost all protein. How is whey powder preferable? How is it easier/faster than a container of yogurt?
              Unsweetened strained (Greek) yogurt with cut up fruit or berries or frozen fruit (awesome after a hot run) and some cereal on top is my standard breakfast. I'm confused by the statements that it's hard to get enough protein from food. Plain Greek nonfat yogurt is almost 100% protein. Chicken breast, as well. Salmon pouches have some fat, but good health fats, and are otherwise almost all protein. How is whey powder preferable? How is it easier/faster than a container of yogurt?

Spaniel mentioned the extra calories needed to get all your protein intake with real food.  For instance, a scoop of the protein I've been using has 32 grams of protein and 120 calories.  Pretty low calorie to protein ratio there.

Feeling the growl again

How is whey powder preferable? How is it easier/faster than a container of yogurt?

There are many ways to use protein powder.  I do eat a lot of yogurt.  Chicken etc gets boring after awhile and, frankly, in the situations I was using the powder I either did not have the time or facilities to cook something like that.  For example, squeezing in an AM run then taking a SlimFast/powder with me to drink on the way to work....slamming one after a run before jumping in the car to head to the gym instead of using that time to cook.

C'mon people.  There's no definitive science showing that using some occasional whey protein is going to shorten your life.  While I'll agree that consuming too much of anything loaded with preservatives etc is probably bad, the definitive "anything not in its natural form is bad" mantra is not supportable.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

"run" "2" "eat"

i do enjoy a spot of whey while spending time on the ol' tuffet.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There are many ways to use protein powder.  I do eat a lot of yogurt.  Chicken etc gets boring after awhile and, frankly, in the situations I was using the powder I either did not have the time or facilities to cook something like that.  For example, squeezing in an AM run then taking a SlimFast/powder with me to drink on the way to work....slamming one after a run before jumping in the car to head to the gym instead of using that time to cook.

C'mon people.  There's no definitive science showing that using some occasional whey protein is going to shorten your life.  While I'll agree that consuming too much of anything loaded with preservatives etc is probably bad, the definitive "anything not in its natural form is bad" mantra is not supportable.

True, but food is so much more palatable than "food."  And it seems to me that 90% of the supplements you find advertised in Runners' World or when you walk into GNC are just snake oil.

Feeling the growl again

True, but food is so much more palatable than "food."  And it seems to me that 90% of the supplements you find advertised in Runners' World or when you walk into GNC are just snake oil.

Palitability is not what was being discussed.  I would agree most expensive supplements are just snake oil.  However, for extra protein, whey powder is not extremely expensive.  I simply mixed powdered milk with either SlimFast, or milk+chocolate pudding mix.  It was quite palatable and quite portable, and the protein content was about as good as whey powder for a fraction of the cost.

I use whey protein that comes in a form called "milk."  It's great with coffee, also with cereal.  Sometimes I eat it in the form called "cottage cheese."

Unfortunately there are people like me who can't eat cottage cheese  or drink milk even with lactaid (well I can but those around me won't be happy and neither will my stomach)

Anyway I've been supplementing with Whey protein for about 5 years now. With dairy allergies and being lactose intolerant it's not always easy to get enough protein that my body needs for as much running and weight lifting that I do.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Not everyone LIKES or can even eat yogurt, myself included in that mix

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

HappyFeat

I'm a vegetarian who no longer chooses to put any time into planning and preparing meals. So I put a scoop of whey protein powder into the cup of yogurt I have every day and two scoops into the bowl of oatmeal I have every day. This way, combined with the rest of what I eat, I get about 60 grams of protein a day which seems to suit me. Someday when I'm move out of my "lazy phase" and quit running an hour every evening after work, I'll take up cooking dinner again. Until then, using the protein powder is very convenient. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Am I doing this right?

I put a scoop on my cereal every morning after my run.  Sometimes it's chocolate milk in a shaker with a scoop.  Low calorie, keeps me full.  It works for me.  YMMV.

No excuses....

A Saucy Wench

Truth?  I think real food is alway better than fake food. 

Reality?  I cant always stomach meat,  yogurt often makes me quite sick and eggs have nearly landed me in the ER enough times that I no longer eat them in anything larger than "1 egg in a recipe that serves 12"   I try not to plan to use whey protein, but there are times where I find it is the only option for me.    I use plain unflavored unsweetened unfortified and mix with unsweetened almond milk and cinnamon.  Nothing chills out blood sugar swings faster for me.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7