Whey Protein (Read 1520 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyhow, I made some fresh mozzarella the other day.  For real.

I just told my hubby this and he said "what an asshole."

*cracking up*

So...how difficult is it to make cheese?  Where do you buy rennet?  I don't think it ever occurred to me that I could make my own cheese.  I've made my own yogurt, but it's easy to use existing yogurt for starter.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

And this as well: the yogurt I make at home from whole unhomogenized milk, it is not necessarily low fat (which can only really be produced through processing, making milk into "milk", a processed foodstuff).  No, the milk I use is just milk.

Mmmm....love it when I can get my hands on it, slurping the cream on top into coffee....  But, really, what's your thinking on this? Straining fat into doesn't seem like heavy enough processing to make milk into "milk", it certainly won't change the nutritional makeup like pasteurizing does (I sometimes splurge on unpasteurized milk, even though I think it's slightly risky, it tastes mo betta).

Ex runner

rsbones

I love yogurt as much as the next guy, and eat it every morning. But I don't really think of it as a protein source because the amount I eat only has between 5 and 8 grams of protein. I'd have to eat 3 to 5 times as much to get as much protein as a whey protein "shake".

Zortrium

I love yogurt as much as the next guy, and eat it every morning. But I don't really think of it as a protein source because the amount I eat only has between 5 and 8 grams of protein. I'd have to eat 3 to 5 times as much to get as much protein as a whey protein "shake".

As mentioned previously, greek yogurt is the way to go.  A single cup (6 oz) of plain Chobani yogurt (comparable to most brands of greek yogurt) has no fat, 100 calories and 18 grams of protein.  That's 5.6 calories per gram of protein.  For comparison, the whey protein mentioned by maddog is 3.8 calories per gram of protein (and unless you just take it with water, that ratio will go up when made into any kind of shake).  That's not too bad considering the yogurt is just, well, yogurt (and quite tasty to boot)

rsbones

That sounds perfect. Thanks for the tip. I'll look for Greek yogurt from now on!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

how difficult is it to make cheese?  Where do you buy rennet?  I don't think it ever occurred to me that I could make my own cheese.  I've made my own yogurt, but it's easy to use existing yogurt for starter.

Where to buy rennet.  And yeah, they make vegetarian rennet these days too.

Making cheese is as easy as straining your yogurt overnight.  Making mozzarella is a tiny bit more involved.  Google is your good friend.  Basically, instead of using yogurt, you use lemon juice and rennet in warm milk, then cut n knead the warmed curds.  Making aged, fermented and/or hard cheeses is much more involved, but can be worth it.  Again, google baby.

And yeah, letting your unpasteurized whole milk sit in the fridge a few days will allow the cream to rise.  The milk beneath it is lower fat, and you can still eat the cream (which evens the whole thing out, then, doesn't it Wink ).

A Saucy Wench

Nice diet, Ennay!  Why, with all that, did you decide that you needed to supplement it with whey protein?

Because I was starving at 5 but we werent going out to eat until 7.  If I didnt eat something I would have eaten the bread basket and ordered fish and chips.  Instead I had a a plain shake and ordered "grilled" salmon.  I've learned from experience that veggies or other snacks just dont cut it as well.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

And this: Ennay did not actually exercise yesterday, so her whey protein was not really post-exercise, was it?

Ennay did exercise, ennay just didnt log it. and no, it was not for any so called exercise benefits.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ennay did exercise, ennay just didnt log it. and no, it was not for any so called exercise benefits.

If you did not log it, you did not do it.

Biscuits, this morning
                    - 2 cups flour
                    - 2 ½ tsp baking powder
                    - ½ tsp baking soda
                    - 1 tsp salt
                    - 6 tbs butter, cold and diced
                    - 3/4 cup leftover whey

Mix dry ingredients, then mix in butter until crumbly.  Add yogurt until you get a somewhat sticky mass.  Gently roll out on a floured surface to ~1/2 inch thick.  Cut with a mason jar and place into a cast-iron pan or other baking dish.  Brush with melted butter if desired.  Bake @ 450 degrees until golden brown.

I just chopped up a bunch of regional freestone peaches and am making them into a compote to serve alongside.  And another 2 1/2 cups of whey are going into the sourdough starter jar just now...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

whey biscuits with regional peach compote, both home made

OMG, this is so good I think I'm gonna cry.  OMG OMG.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Where to buy rennet.  And yeah, they make vegetarian rennet these days too.

Seriously, is there anything Amazon.com doesn't carry...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

If you did not log it, you did not do it.

Biscuits, this morning
                          -

There, now I exercised thursday

Bah, how do you have a meal in august without squash in it.  24 squash a week in my CSA basket.  I froze 4 containers of roasted squash last week to use in spag sauce when the tomatoes ripen (usually around the end of september)

Off to have my breakfast of squash and other veggies with some sort of leftover meat in it.  I really need to make steak again because leftover chicken for breakfast doesnt really wow me.  God I miss eggs.

Feeling the growl again

Bah, how do you have a meal in august without squash in it.  

Mine failed to come up.  I guess they knew they were doomed to be eaten by bugs before I could find time to spray them like the last 2 years.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

flatland mountaineer

Big grin

Thanks.  I thought this might bring Trent out.  I should've known right off the bat what he would say. Wink Smile

(I'm bored with being benched.)

I am bored with "Pollan speake" and people that have become agricultural experts from watching a movie..........

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

A Saucy Wench

Mine failed to come up.  I guess they knew they were doomed to be eaten by bugs before I could find time to spray them like the last 2 years.

the bugs stuck to the cauliflower and cabbage.