Feeling sick after long runs.. (Read 1465 times)

Double IPA Please!

I seem to be noticing a trend with me after I do my long runs AND after a race. I feel good right after and then I slowly start to go downhill where I feel nauseaus and begin to have some GI issues along with a nice headache. This is not a "Oh, your pushing your body too hard, too many miles etc.." I feel fine during my runs, my legs, aerobically etc..I monitor my pace, slow down when needed try to go out slow etc.. Yesterday I did a little over 12 miles all I brought with me was my Camelback with an Accelerade water mixture in it and the Mr. dropped off a banana along my route probably at mile 8 somewhere. I did not start drinking until mile 4 as I did not feel thirsty (mistake #1?) and then I had only half a banana it was all I could handle choking back. I had to stop at mile 9 thought I was gonna heave the banana (thank God this was not a race) l got home with having drunk the contents of my Camelback between miles 4 and 11, drank some more water, waited to cool down took a shower AND then ate something. This is when nauseau kicked in along with GI Distress. I stood at the sink dry heaving a bit. The Mr.asked what he could do and I replied- nothing, it will pass this is what I do when I run long..which got me thinking...why? An hour later I felt better but still had a headache which lingered the rest of the day/night into this morning even. I am one of those people that come home coated with salt on my face and legs. Electrolytes too low? Sugar bottoming out? Help- I always feel so good on my runs most times but when I do long runs I know that I am gonna be doomed to feel sick later on.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Scout7

What do you do right after you finish? Could be taking in too much too quickly.

Double IPA Please!

When Im done, I usually walk a bit to cool down and then I wash my face and drink some water.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Some people ( at least Me) have real sugar sensitivity... IE: Most sport endurance drinks tend to make me sick on my stomach. I know lots of others who say bananas make them nauseus too. I have found that If I sort of mini carb Load the night before the long run, ( over 10 miles) with good protein/Carb meal that my stomach does better in general. I use a drink called Cytomax that is relatively high in electrolytes and not so jammed with sugar... hope you find what works for you!

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

A Saucy Wench

I would skip the banana while running - they make me heave too. But maybe try eating sooner after. I usually try to get in a few hundred calories right away. I like chocolate milk for that. ANd then I usually eat before I shower - usually something with salt in it. Also, its possible that accelerade isnt right for you. Try just water or another drink. I've had it happen from time to time, but not often.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Double IPA Please!

I'd be willing to experiment at this point. It takes away from feeling good after finishing the run when all I have to look forward to is feeling sick.

Non ducor, duco.

When I dont eat before or during long runs; no problems, when I eat during or before..big problems. I have found that the only way I can do long runs is to not eat anything. I dont really care what the experts say, it sucks having GI issues and feeling like crap afterwards.

Double IPA Please!

I would skip the banana while running - they make me heave too. But maybe try eating sooner after. I usually try to get in a few hundred calories right away. I like chocolate milk for that. ANd then I usually eat before I shower - usually something with salt in it. Also, its possible that accelerade isnt right for you. Try just water or another drink. I've had it happen from time to time, but not often.
                  The banana was a first for me- my Dh was trying to help out- he was so sweet- he aplogized afterwards, it was not his fault..I am just not hungry in the least after a long run like that. I know I should, perhaps I might try the choco milk as I have read it not only here but elsewhere having the perfect combo of nutrients. Accelrade was watered down as if it was strait up that would have killed me. I guess I just need to experiment more with different options.

C-R

Noticed your run was around lunch and it was 75. How was the humidity? Did you have a well balanced breakfast? I've been hit pretty hard on runs like that when I didn't have a good breakfast and it was hot/humid. I agree with the others about the banana during the run. Try a Gu or something like that instead but try it on short runs to let your stomach get used to them. I've never had issues with them (upset stomach)but I've seen it mentioned in other posts.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Double IPA Please!

When I dont eat before or during long runs; no problems, when I eat during or before..big problems. I have found that the only way I can do long runs is to not eat anything. I dont really care what the experts say, it sucks having GI issues and feeling like crap afterwards.
                      I hear ya' sister- it certainly does suck.

Sometimes it just takes playing around a bit to find what works for you. Long runs are tough enough, then to add feeling sick to the end of them makes it even worse. I still from time to time when it's africa hot outside and humid get that woosey feeling after the long run. It is usually short lived, we have a coffee shop right up the street from where we long run at, and she makes me a Orange Creamsicle flavored protein shake that is cold and delightful to both the stomach, and helping to cool off after. at 20 grams protein, I get the important boost to start the recovery process.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

When I dont eat before or during long runs; no problems, when I eat during or before..big problems. I have found that the only way I can do long runs is to not eat anything.
                          Ditto this for me. That and humidity. Running in heat is one thing, once humidity is added I struggle and it's like a domino effect of negative things.
                          Also, its possible that accelerade isnt right for you. Try just water or another drink.
                          Oh, and I cannot handle any of the sports drinks. My body and Gatorade especially do NOT get along.

Michelle

Double IPA Please!

Noticed your run was around lunch and it was 75. How was the humidity? Did you have a well balanced breakfast? I've been hit pretty hard on runs like that when I didn't have a good breakfast and it was hot/humid. I agree with the others about the banana during the run. Try a Gu or something like that instead but try it on short runs to let your stomach get used to them. I've never had issues with them (upset stomach)but I've seen it mentioned in other posts.
                            I went out around 11ish and it was a beautiful day here in PA, low humidity ( first in days and days) and a nice breeze. I mean it was warm, but the humidity was not all that bad. Gu and me=gag reflex central Big grin Blush. I have tried Sport Beans as well as Jellies. Im gonna try and bring some gummy bears or something other that I can easily digest.

next time try having the banana before your run. I'll do that if I'm running between 11 and 15 miles. Also what you do AFTER your run is major. I've learned that having a protein drink (mixed with water) and a bagel works great for after my run. I usually wait an hour or so after that then eat a light meal. As for the accelorade, that kind of stuff makes me sick so that may be part of your problem. Drinking until mile 4 probably didn't cause the problem or add anything to it. How much water was in your Camelbak? You could have drank too much.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Double IPA Please!

Sometimes it just takes playing around a bit to find what works for you. Long runs are tough enough, then to add feeling sick to the end of them makes it even worse. I still from time to time when it's africa hot outside and humid get that woosey feeling after the long run. It is usually short lived, we have a coffee shop right up the street from where we long run at, and she makes me a Orange Creamsicle flavored protein shake that is cold and delightful to both the stomach, and helping to cool off after. at 20 grams protein, I get the important boost to start the recovery process.
                                That protein drink sounds yummy!! Well, I have to come up with something and Im willing to try anything/everything to avoid this hellish feeling. I felt badly, my daughter had a softball game and we were all trying to shuffle out the door and there I stood dry heaving over the kitchen sink- NOT attractive. I was like "Heave- go wait in the car-Heave- Ill be right there- Heave" lolol..We got to the field and I told Greg to sit us away from the people in case I needed to heave again and wanted to save him the embarrassment! However, it passed and I started to feel better.