Subject cannot be empty (Read 1991 times)

jeffdonahue

LOL

Many of us probably look that strong and unattainable to other runners, particularly beginners, who struggle to maintain a 12:00-14:00 pace.

I wonder about this sometimes myself - how I look (and my stride looks) to other runners.  Do I look like I am gliding along effortlessly (even when I'm struggling in a run).

Back to original point of the post - I too had a similar experience a few years back right around Boston Marathon time.  I was cruising along (at my 8:00 pace) a nice trail in Lexington.  When suddenly I hear "On your left." as 4 guys flew past me like I was standing still.  And I still remember watching them take off down the path, chatting it up like it was nothing, keeping a pace that I knew would have me sucking wind in a hundred yards or so.  nice to watch for the short time I got to see it up close.

Chris T

My absolute favorite part of our big local 5k every year is seeing the 13 minute crew glide by on the out-and-back as I go out and they go back.

You have a local 'crew' that runs in the 13's? What is that location, the western hemisphere?

Purdey

Self anointed title

You have a local 'crew' that runs in the 13's? What is that location, the western hemisphere?

Nairobi.

Sounds like my runs around here... thankfully I'm so fat and slow I lost any semblance of an ego decades ago...

Local race. The 13 minute crew is clearly not from round here.

http://www.roadntracksports.com/RaceResults/15th_Annual_New_Balance_Moonlight_Run_5K.htm

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

The 13 minute crew is clearly not from round here.

yeah...they live in my town.  It's insane.

A Saucy Wench

The first year I ran Hood to Coast I had a similar experience.  The elite teams start later than the rest of us so that they do not finish before 9 am. Middle of the night pretty much alone on my road I just felt a sensation more than a sound.  And then the lightest little pit-pat-pit -pat on the gravel and whoosh a ghost glided by me.  It was like he was ice skating by me, feet gliding not striking.   Had he not been wearing the mandated reflective gear and headlamp I would have been sure it was a hallucination

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Chris T

Local race. The 13 minute crew is clearly not from round here.

http://www.roadntracksports.com/RaceResults/15th_Annual_New_Balance_Moonlight_Run_5K.htm

One Kenyan ran a 15:41. How embarrassing. Smile

Oops...he was 45! Nevermind.

One Kenyan ran a 15:41. How embarrassing. Smile

Give him a break, he just finished the C25k program.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

keeponrunning

I've had this too, not so much while out running around here, but at some races with an out-and-back course.  I'm not what most people would consider a turtle (21min 5k), and these people can easily wup my butt.  I often wonder how I appear to other runners.  My 5k PR race, I won overall female, and felt so light and free I thought I could fly.  Wonder what everyone else was thinking about my generally horrible form during that race?  (I tend to do an upper-body twist thing)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

keeponrunning

Give him a break, he just finished the C25k program.

Ha.  Probably Joking

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

If Haile Gebrselassie had lived closer to his school he might not be where he is today — and he might also have a slightly better running technique. Growing up in Arsi, Ethiopia, he would run 10km to — and from — school every day, with his books under one arm. This gave him an outstanding grounding for endurance running — but also left him with a distinctive posture: a slightly crooked left arm. http://www.spikesmag.com/athletes/Heroes/hailegebrselassie.aspx

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

xor

uphill both ways.

Think he should have carried books in both arms, or at least trade off. What's more impressive, people chatting or carrying a days worth of school books as they float pass you while you are doing your speed work

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

The King of Beasts

L Train

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”