It's offical: We've broken the snow record! (Read 714 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or at least Grand Rapids has...and we generally get at least a foot or two more in a season than they do out here on the Lake MI lakeshore. • Dec '07 - today: the snowiest period ever in MI history • #2 snowiest Feb. (and the month isn't over)...last year was #3 snowiest Feb. We are currently at nearly 3x the average snowfall for Feb. Sure...I start running and we start having record snowy Winters...figures. Tongue Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

All this snow's causing the pace bunny to kick my butt! I've had to stay at low mileage with all the uneven running surfaces. Sad But on the plus side I've been getting in a lot of shoveling cross-training. Yes
        But on the plus side I've been getting in a lot of shoveling cross-training. Yes
        You're logging this, right? Wink
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If he's not he should be! Smile Actually, the snow didn't mess up my miles as much as the flu and subsequent sinus infection did. And the raw spot on my left heel right before that. I once had a 10 mile lead on the 1500 mile rodent and now I think he's about 20 miles ahead of me. Now the snow is making it harder to catch up.

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Gonna have to invest in snowshoes Zoomie.

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

You're logging this, right? Wink
              You better believe I'm logging the shoveling! Of course, I make sure to maintain a good shoveling pace in order to keep my heart rate up so that it actually is indeed a workout. So, February has quite a plethora of shoveling entries in my log.* And the main problem I've had with my runs is that I run all on sidewalks, most of which aren't shoveled regularly and which consequently develop packed down trails on them that are very uneven and treacherous. And given that a knee injury ended my previous running life, I'm very cautious so I don't end it a second time. *Sorry my log is private so you can't see the shoveling entries...I'm hoping Eric's next version of the training log includes some more flexible privacy settings so that I can have some of my log public and some of it private.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Rick, every year I say I want new boots and bindings for my XC skis (ski package I've had since I was 13...the skis are great, but my feet grew when I had Dane and they have the old 3-peg bindings that are all rusty), but every year I decide it's not worth it. Snowshoes would probably be more useful, since I could use them just about anywhere and even do a snowshoe trail race (the one that Mike did last weekend).
                And the main problem I've had with my runs is that I run all on sidewalks, most of which aren't shoveled regularly and which consequently develop packed down trails on them that are very uneven and treacherous. And given that a knee injury ended my previous running life, I'm very cautious so I don't end it a second time.
                How are the roads...they might be better than the sidewalks. I won't go near the sidewalks or rail trail--they're either an uneven mess or overrun with snowmobiles.

~ Sarah Kay

And the main problem I've had with my runs is that I run all on sidewalks, most of which aren't shoveled regularly and which consequently develop packed down trails on them that are very uneven and treacherous. And given that a knee injury ended my previous running life, I'm very cautious so I don't end it a second time.
                  I'm always on the roads (sidewalks aren't cleared) and lately they've been completely snow covered and uneven, so I know what you mean. If I see a "clear" spot on the pavement, I dodge over to it just so I can enjoy a few steps of unobstructed running. Isn't funny how a few steps on clear pavement can give one joy? Big grin
                    • Dec '07 - today: the snowiest period ever in MI history • #2 snowiest Feb. (and the month isn't over)...last year was #3 snowiest Feb. We are currently at nearly 3x the average snowfall for Feb.
                    all of this is a result of the disturbance of weather patterns caused by global warming...or an evil intent on driving zoomie and sockoni nuts....
                      I'm always on the roads (sidewalks aren't cleared) and lately they've been completely snow covered and uneven, so I know what you mean. If I see a "clear" spot on the pavement, I dodge over to it just so I can enjoy a few steps of unobstructed running. Isn't funny how a few steps on clear pavement can give one joy? Big grin
                      My neighborhood consists of either really busy streets where running on the road isn't safe or really narrow side streets where the snow/ice has built up to quite an impressive thickness. And the meltdown we had a while back only made the ruts and unevenness worse. I've actually found my best running conditions are just after a snowfall where I can run through the undisturbed snow before it gets packed down and uneven.

My legs are killing me

After all this talk of record snowfall, I'm ready for a nice sandy beach with an umbrella drink! Who's game?
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

After all this talk of record snowfall, I'm ready for a nice sandy beach with an umbrella drink! Who's game?
                          YES! Just name the warm, sunny beach and I am THERE! Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Our winter has been mild but I'm still ready for the beach. Last night I was on the phone with several different hotels in OC MD trying to find one that we want to stay at. I'm already excited about getting to run on the beach early in the morning. Smile

Michelle

My legs are killing me

Ok Zoom, I'll see you tomorrow in South Beach! I'll have a nice cold drink waiting Big grin
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sah-weet! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay