Another shin splint post... (Read 1296 times)

I'm sure all of you experienced runners are probably completely and utterly sick of reading about another person with shin splint difficulties, but I'm looking for a little advice from the RA pros. I've diagnosed myself with medial tibial stress syndrome (because I know how much doctors love when people self-diagnose), and I need a bit of guidance. Here's the story (I'll start from the top, so I apologize in advance if this gets a bit long-winded): After several stints of running around the block, losing a lung, and giving up for a few months, I finally got down to serious business with this running thing last summer. Clearly knowing nothing about moderation, etc., the first thing I did was lace up my brand new discount-sport-store running shoes and run for 30 minutes (which seemed completely miraculous to me). That evening began a pain along my inner shins that made it quite difficult to walk for a few days, and I knew I must be taking the wrong approach. So after about a week of healing up, I happened upon a 10-week beginners run-walk program on the Runner's World website, and thought that might be a safer way of doing things. The problem is that the pain continued. Not a sharp pain, and not painful enough to cut runs short, but a nagging soreness that lasted for a day or two (or sometimes three) after a run. I figured it may be time to stop being such a tight-wad, and I paid a visit to a running specialty store to get fitted with decent shoes. They told me that I overpronate, and sold me a more stabilizing shoe (Asics gel 1120). I think it may have helped a bit (or perhaps it was just wishful thinking), but eventually the soreness came back. So a few months ago I visited yet another running specialty store, and they told me that my overpronation is not that bad, and that the stabilizing shoe may be contributing to the problem. I was somewhat skeptical; I didn't see how a stabilizing shoe could possibly stress the posterior tibialis, etc., but I was willing to try something new. So they fitted me with a more neutral shoe (Mizuno Wave Creation 9), and off I went. Still with the shin splints. At this point, I finally broke down and decided to consult a PT, get a proper gait analysis done, and look into orthotics. It turns out I do overpronate a bit, but not severely, and he fitted me for custom, full-foot running orthotics, which I've been using for the past 3 weeks or so. I *think* it's an improvement, but the shin splints persist. The PT warned that it may take a couple of weeks for my legs to adjust to the orthotics, but that I could keep wearing the Mizunos, and that the pain should begin to subside shortly. I've also been doing some lower leg strengthening exercises (e.g., toe taps while standing on heels, calf raises). Now, before anyone looks way back in my log, let me say that I am fully aware that I've made some training errors that surely didn't help my situation (e.g., long runs constituting more than 50% of my weekly mileage). But I've been taking it VERY easy lately, and I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm toying with the idea of taking a couple of weeks off completely to heal as much as possible and then starting from scratch with a C25K-esque run/walk program. That would be frustrating, since I know that I'm cardiovascularly (new word?) able to fairly comfortably run for over an hour, but hey, if that's what it takes... To conclude, thank you if you've managed to read this far, and thank you even MORE if you're willing to post a reply offering wisdom and sage advice. I will now stop typing. MTA: By "PT" I mean Physical Therapist, not Personal Trainer... M again TA: I am not much of a heel-striker, I am a fairly consistent midfoot-lander...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I've just accepted I have a cronic shin issue. I stretch and do resistance work with my toes. I get up at 5 AM and eat something small, take 2 Ibuprofen, and then run at 6 AM. I run on grass whenever possible and I use the treadmill or trails for 25-50% of my workouts. Then I have a great ice pack that has velcro wraps. I can just wrap it on my shin while I drive to work and I keep it in the freezer at work. If you don't know about resistance (strengthening excercises) for shins make sure you look into them. Good luck. You should nver try and run through significant pain but you can try to decrease the flare ups and make running much better.

I feel your pain. When I first started running again I had to stop and restart the C25K 3 yes 3 times. I learned that I was trying to hard and running too fast for being a beginner. Between the second and third times I took a month off and have not really had any issues with the shin splints since. Just remember to start slowly and if you start to feel the pain again slow down and make sure that you do the toe taps. They helped me immensely. Hope that helps a little. Jeremy
        2009 Goals...:
        -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
          I just posted about this same thing in the "General Running" forum (see the 17 days and shin splints post)...it's so hard to know what to do, other than just plain rest. My OS said that Aleve is wonderful for inflamation and to help with the pain, so I've been taking one or two before my workout. Right now I'm trying to rest before Chicago - kinda hard with that race breathing down my neck, so I'm trying to convince myself that I'm doing a major two-week taper. Tongue Maybe you can try to stay active without running for awhile - swim, bike, use the elliptical to keep your strength and allow your shins to repair themselves. I'm taking some serious time off after Chicago just to let myself heal. Good luck!!!
          "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
            Not much to add but I have suffered with shin splints before and I've found that what works best for me is ice (after running and throughout the day for about 10 minutes each seesion), massage, and toe taps, and obviously moderation in mileage and speed. Good luck
              Thanks everyone for the quick responses and encouragement. I'm a little bit apprehensive about taking anything for the pain because 1) the pain is not so bad that I feel the need to medicate it and 2) taking the pain away may permit me to go farther/faster than I should. In fact, the pain doesn't even bother me that much; it's just that, from what I've read, persisting through this type of thing could eventually lead to a stress fracture (which, from my understanding, is bad news).

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I take Ibuprofen to prevent inflamation. But you do have to pay attention to pain. If I take Ibuprofen and start to feel pain I better be ready to walk it home because something bad may be happening.

So RunCheffyRun had this to say to another shinsplint patient in a related thread:
                  Obie~ I think you are making more out of this than it might really be. I have been through a pretty tough case of the splints early on in my running, and am currently going through a milder case right now, as I am increasing mileage, and did a run of 6 miles, and my shins are letting me know it. Don't panic. You have been given great advice, but what I think everyone will agree on is that the splints will go away with stonger muscles. your muscles will get stonger the more you run. Just make sure that you take Figbash's advice, and run short strides, really easy pace, and ease your way back into it. Ice after the run, take motrin, and do your toe taps. Your shins will not toughen up if you are not running, and the longer you delay getting back out there, you will begin to lose all the fitness you have worked so hard for. Fear is a pretty strong emotion, don't let it keep you from progress. Run easy, and try to enjoy it. If you are in miserable pain during the run, then go and get that X-Ray and get some peace of mind~ Good Luck and Happy Running! Smile
                  I may try a variant on this tactic, with my current plan being as follows: 1) Start the C25K program from scratch. (ugh) 2) Stretch and ice after every run. 3) Continue shin strengthening exercises several times per week. 4) Keep my fingers crossed and hope my body sorts itself out. Thanks again, people.

Jack Kerouac

Quick question about the toe taps that NavyJeremy mentioned... do you think there are any added benefits to the seated, high rep kind as opposed to the standing, weight bearing kind (a la exercise 1 here: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161-shin-splints-treatment.htm)? I've been doing the latter, and it seems like it would be a more functional exercise, but at this point I'm certainly open to persuasion.

Jack Kerouac

Jehu I found great success with the seated toe taps as I was able to do that while I was at work sitting at my desk and within 2 days my shin splints were virtually gone. Hope that helps
                      2009 Goals...:
                      -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
                        That does help... thanks, Jeremy. I'll give it a go and see how things progress.

Jack Kerouac

I'm prone to shin splints as well. I notice them more when I run in the evening and less when I run in the morning. I'm guessing if I run in the morning, I have all day to walk around and keep things stretched out a bit. Evening runs end up with me in bed for 6-8 hours not too long after I run. I'm guessing that makes a difference. Anybody else experience this?
                            I actually experience the opposite (although they seem to happen regardless these days)... I've chalked it up to the fact that I've had all day to walk around and get my legs loose, whereas in the morning, despite a warmup walk, my legs are still relatively cold and stiff.

Jack Kerouac

So a few months ago I visited yet another running specialty store, and they told me that my overpronation is not that bad, and that the stabilizing shoe may be contributing to the problem. I was somewhat skeptical; I didn't see how a stabilizing shoe could possibly stress the posterior tibialis, etc., but I was willing to try something new. So they fitted me with a more neutral shoe (Mizuno Wave Creation 9), and off I went. Still with the shin splints.
                              This happened to me. Too much stability will increase the shock to your shins and WILL cause shin spints. Not enough stability will also cause shin splints. It took me a year to find my goldilocks shoe, which happens to be the Mizuno Wave Inspire. No shin pain, nada. 1 year ago I could barely walk after a 10 mile week. Now I have ZERO shin pain on 30+ mpw and increasing. It can be the shoes. Definitely. Don't give up and keep at it with the strengthening exercises. I've been there and at one point thought I'd have to give running up. But it can get better and will get better if you persist.

This happened to me. Too much stability will increase the shock to your shins and WILL cause shin spints.
                                That's exactly what the running store people told me, and then a physiotherapist turned around and told me the opposite, that you really can't get *too much* support, but that for some people it's just overkill. So I suppose the lesson learned is "trust no one" and experiment to find out what works for you. I'm just tired of laying down $150-$200cdn on shoes each time (In my neck of the woods they will only let you try out shoes and bring them back if they haven't been worn outdoors, so what fun is that...). Thanks for the encouragement, EGH3; thankfully I'm the obsessive type who will keep at it despite my body's protests.

Jack Kerouac