Millennium Meadows or BQ2 Grand Rapids (MI) Marathons (Read 39 times)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Does anyone have experience with either of these races? Or races on the same course in Millennium Meadows Park in Grand Rapids (MI)?

The marathon involves 6 laps of the course and I'm wondering if that will drive me crazy or if it will be the best thing ever?!?

No, but I can recommend the regular Grand Rapids Marathon, in October. A good mid-size (~1500) race, nice flat course with a bit of scenery, well-organized, reasonably well-supported.

If you are set on this one, I don't think a 6-loop marathon would be too bad. How good or bad the race is will depend on what kind of day you're having. Of course people do 24-hour runs on a 1-mile loop, so I'm pretty sure it'll be better than that.

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Dave - thanks for the feedback. I will keep the GR marathon in mind although I usually do the Detroit Free Press half or full around that time. That's a nice race with the bridge and tunnel crossings.

I also came across the Holland Haven marathon in early September. Starts south of Grand Haven and runs along Lakeshore into Holland. Looks like a nice course with only mild hills. My parents used to live around there. Does anyone have an experience with that race?

Dave - thanks for the feedback. I will keep the GR marathon in mind although I usually do the Detroit Free Press half or full around that time. That's a nice race with the bridge and tunnel crossings.

I also came across the Holland Haven marathon in early September. Starts south of Grand Haven and runs along Lakeshore into Holland. Looks like a nice course with only mild hills. My parents used to live around there. Does anyone have an experience with that race?

I have done Detroit as well and I agree - one of the great marathon experiences, I often recommend to people. I think GR is usually on the exact same day; you should take a year off from the Freep and try it sometime. I have done a couple others in MI as well, but not the one you referenced. Sounds like you are looking for something to get in ahead of the Boston registration deadline?

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I ran the Holland Haven Marathon last weekend. Didn't set a PR but beat my Boston qualifying standard by 6 minutes so I'm hoping...

The race was extremely well run, course was scenic for the most part and after the race I polished off blueberry pancakes (and two poached eggs, toast and fruit), at one of the best breakfast spots in the state: Morning Star Cafe in Grand Haven! A great Sunday!

I would encourage anyone with interest to check out the race next year. They also run a half marathon and 8K. Party after the race was also well done although I left a bit early to get started to Grand Haven for my pancakes!

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

and, although I plan to run the Detroit race this year, I will definitely keep GR in mind for next year. Sounds like a good race and GR is a great town,