Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

xor

you know... call me crazy but I think on a running site it's ok to comment on news when it includes references to running.

or sometimes not even close to running but makes you think about running.  Like this...

http://news.yahoo.com/35-years-later-voyager-1-heading-stars-085821926.html

I realized upon reading this that Voyager costs NASA $0.05 per mile in 1977 dollars, or $0.19 per mile in today's dollars.  Or about what I get on Brooks Adrenalines.  But Voyager is still going so they could end up more efficient than even my 40% off pair I managed to get to $0.15 per mile. 

You say that now, but wait until it returns as V'ger and eats everything and everyone.  And Kirk and Spock won't be there to save us because they aren't real.

Whoa.

Why is it sideways?

I realize now why I got so upset yesterday AND why I also felt bad about getting upset.

I totally think we are within our rights to mock Ryan in a good humored way for this little gaffe/lie as runners. This was a pretty human mistake that, sure, is sorta petty and dumb and therefore deserves some mockery. What bothered me was that as soon as we engaged in this mockery, everyone started getting upset about "fair play" and equal lies on the left and on the right and pretty soon we started down this slope that led towards "everyone's a liar." Or Republicans are liars. Or Democrats are liars. Or Ryan is a liar. Or Obama is a liar. 

As soon as we started down that slope (was I going down it, too? perhaps.), we failed to make the distinction that is crucial in civilized society between gently mocking a human mistake and deeply criticizing a bold-faced manipulative lie. This distinction is what allows for good humor in politics and reasonable discussion.

That's what upset me about TonyP's comments -- I felt like I could mock Ryan as a runner in a non-partisan way. He confused that mockery for criticism, blurring the line between good humor and outrage.

Then, of course, I lost my good humor and got outraged. (Dumb.)

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled Friedman and Keynes and Rand and Paul.

MTA: Oh, and this.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

MTA: Oh, and this.

I wonder how many Paul Ryan-certified World Record holders we have on these boards. 

Looks like it would take a 5:07 mile, a 17:00 5k, a 1:20 HM, or a 2:50 Mary.

Maybe we should start a goal thread just for that. I know I now have a goal of being a Paul Ryan-certified World Record Holder by the end of 2012!

--

Nashville, TN

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

What a hoot.

With a good training cycle and good execution, the world record is mine.

dennrunner

Paul Ryan Time calculator

Kenenisa Bekele still has me in the 5K, but I trashed him in the 10K. Yea. My first  world record!

L Train

To think that I actually won Baystate in 2010 with a 2:25.  I didn't even remember this part.

mikeymike

To think that I actually won Baystate in 2010 with a 2:25.  I didn't even remember this part.

Unless I get to use the calculator too, in which case I won in with a new World Record of 2:03:12.

But then I guess Jeff could trump us both by plugging his time in...then Scovill could trump his...and evenually Pat Moulton would get around to plugging his time into the Ryan calculator and we're all back where we started.  Damn.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I totally think we are within our rights to mock Ryan in a good humored way for this little gaffe/lie as runners.

Yup.  I'd be damned embarassed to show my face around runners for awhile after an oops like that.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Paul Ryan Time calculator

While I enjoy using McMillan's calculator to figure race results without bothering to run the race, I like this one more. If Romney and Ryan get elected this mofo better get passed into law.

I have no business writing on this thread.........  sowwy

- Anya

Feeling the growl again

While I enjoy using McMillan's calculator to figure race results without bothering to run the race, I like this one more. If Romney and Ryan get elected this mofo better get passed into law.

1:47:36.  Score!  Eat your heart out, East Africa!!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

lol

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

1:47:36.  Score!  Eat your heart out, East Africa!!

Don't gloat just yet.  With the proper training, your next PR will be 1:18:00.