Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

AnneCA

No, but Jerry says he has the results booklet from 1991, which is the, according to SRL, the year Ryan set his PR.  Jerry, this could be your 15 minutes; the internet demands answers.

xor

SRL according to an RWOL poster according to letsrun according to "sources at the New Yorker".

Also somebody saw somebody who knew somebody at 31 Flavors who saw Ferris pass out.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, anyhow, I think we should trust Ryan. If he says it is true, it is certainly true. He is a man of deep integrity who has never been known to make misleading or false statements.

bhearn

In all honesty, I would expect that it is true. I can't really see him making something like that up. Still, I want to see the result.

AnneCA

I wonder how hot it was at Grandma's that year.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In all honesty, I would expect that it is true. I can't really see him making something like that up.

Ya, that's what I said.

If he were to have made it up, anybody with access to the info would be able to prove him wrong. That would be a risky thing for somebody that heavily in the public eye to do. He'd be a fool to make up something trivial like a marathon finish time.

Heck, he'd be an even bigger fool were he to make up or imply something even more important and easily fact-checked.

#artbydmcbride

It would depend on how gullible he thought his target audience was, I guess.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah. Though if that were true, I'd guess he does not respect members of that audience very much.

Feeling the growl again

I wonder how hot it was at Grandma's that year.

Whether Trent ran it or not will really narrow the range...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

In all honesty, I would expect that it is true. I can't really see him making something like that up. Still, I want to see the result.

John Kerry said he ran Boston (some forgotten year with some forgotten time).  Either he made it up, ran under an assumed name, or he bandited.   My money's on banditing, because that's the only one that passes the "why would you make something like that up?" test.

Nonrunners don't care much about running and he might be in the group of people that simply didn't/doesn't know that this stuff is easily checkable.  I doubt this highly, though, because he knows enough to use an oddly specific unspecific time (2:50-something) for a nonrunner to pull out of thin air.  I mean, if you are going to make one up, you either don't state a time, or you say "4 something"... you don't say something that's juuuuuust good enough to make a few people notice. (edit: unless you are a sociopath and/or narcissistic.  Nah. Nevermind.)

I was also going to say "I doubt this because he's not dumb".... and he's not dumb.  But politicians do like to say goofy shit and play with truth.  Worst case, if the results can't be found, he will either play the "banditing with buddies" card or the "well, I was running that pace and DNFed" card.

Let's not forget ye olden days when Joe Biden seemed to be heisting speeches from others.  That's another "why would you do that?" thing.

"Ye olden" never gets olden.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

John Kerry said he ran Boston (some forgotten year with some forgotten time).  Either he made it up, ran under an assumed name, or he bandited.   My money's on banditing, because that's the only one that passes the "why would you make something like that up?" test.

Nonrunners don't care much about running and he might be in the group of people that simply didn't/doesn't know that this stuff is easily checkable.  I doubt this highly, though, because he knows enough to use an oddly specific unspecific time (2:50-something) for a nonrunner to pull out of thin air.  I mean, if you are going to make one up, you either don't state a time, or you say "4 something"... you don't say something that's juuuuuust good enough to make a few people notice. (edit: unless you are a sociopath and/or narcissistic.  Nah. Nevermind.)

I was also going to say "I doubt this because he's not dumb".... and he's not dumb.  But politicians do like to say goofy shit and play with truth.  Worst case, if the results can't be found, he will either play the "banditing with buddies" card or the "well, I was running that pace and DNFed" card.

Let's not forget ye olden days when Joe Biden seemed to be heisting speeches from others.  That's another "why would you do that?" thing.

I might fall into the "dumb runner" category. so take this with a grain of salt, but I could barely remember my half time from a race that was a year ago, and I can't remember my 10k PR at all.

And as a side note, when people ask about my times, a rarely give specifics, because most people don't really care, or they wouldn't understand anyway.

Of course, I totally believe him because I believe all politicians.  Team Red and Team Blue want nothing more than to make our lives better.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

MoBramExam

Hearing Eric Cantor say "muscle confusion" was pretty funny.

Hearing Barney Frank say it would be funnier...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I can't remember my 10k PR at all.

34:48.

On 6/9/2007.

kcam

My first thought, as a runner who has pursued PRs, was "BS, Two fittysomethin my ass!.   If you ran sub-3  you know exactly what your PR was."

But then, right now I could not tell you what my half pr is other than 1:22something and that was only two years ago.  I ran two half marathons back in the mid to late 90's (when I rarely if ever raced other than the marathon) that I cannot tell you what my times were (and one of them had to be my PR for years) other than they were somewhere in the 1:30-1:40 range.  So who knows?  We'll probably never know for sure.  Just adds to the lore of Paul Bunyan, I mean Ryan.