Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

Gig

Even though I love it when republicans are caught saying big lies, I am willing give Ryan the benefit of the doubt and I assume he just misspoke.  1990 was before chips and I am willing to assume that it took him a couple minutes to cross the starting line at Grandmas and so his "net time" would have been just a little under four hours.  I am willing to assume that he misspoke when he said "Under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something" he meant  "Under four, high threes. I had a three hour and fifty-something." After all, it was a long time ago and he probably doesn't talk about it a lot.  The last line on the the subject in the interview "I was fast when I was younger, yeah" does make him sound like an arrogant jerk however.

I assume he will state a number of other baldfaced lies in the campaign and I will let this one go.

He does say a number of things that he must know are not true, but I'll give him a pass on this one, too. 

When I read that he ran sub-3, I had to check my PR to see if I ran faster than him. My PR is 3:46:34 (faster--yes!), not close to sub-3 (but I'm still proud of my accomplishment). Put on the spot, I could see getting that wrong. Still, he does come off as arrogant. 

xhristopher

I hadn't heard about this until I saw this thread. It reminded me of this: Hillary "under fire" in Bosnia.

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-03-25/politics/campaign.wrap_1_sniper-fire-foreign-policy-clinton?_s=PM:POLITICS Now

I think this whopper was significant enough to help Obama's campaign for the nomination in 2008.

I don't think the two exaggerations / lies are comparable. Hillary's was significant and had to do with her foreign policy experience.

I tried to explain this Ryan thing to my wife who has been unwillingly subject to more than her fair share of "sub 3" talk and she was instantly bored by it before I could finish explaining it. I bet the general public will have even less interest.

MrH

With the nomination confirmed, the Ryan-Romney ticket has been trying to reach out to demographics beyond the base.

For the past week, Ryan has been particularly focused on the Pathological Liar Demographic.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Feeling the growl again

The last line on the the subject in the interview "I was fast when I was younger, yeah" does make him sound like an arrogant jerk however.

If someone acknowledges that they were fast after someone just expressed "wow" at their time, that makes them an arrogant jerk?  Confused

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

If someone acknowledges that they were fast after someone just expressed "wow" at their time, that makes them an arrogant jerk?  Confused

Well, no, not necessarily. If the finish time that caused the interviewer to say "holy smokes" was imaginary, then it just makes him either delusional or a liar.

Runners run

L Train

Yeah I think if I get interviewed in 20 years and someone remarks about any of my times, I don't think my first response is going to be all "yeah, I used to be awesome".  That would be true even if I were a 2:5xTight lippedx guy.  It does sound jerkish. 

Yeah I think if I get interviewed in 20 years and someone remarks about any of my times, I don't think my first response is going to be all "yeah, I used to be awesome".  That would be true even if I were a 2:5xTight lippedx guy.  It does sound jerkish. 

Also in 20 years you'll be in your 60's so people will assume you're just being nostalgic or losing your memory. Ryan is our age.

Runners run

L Train

Speaking of losing his memory, I'm pretty sure Brokaw said Ryan was 1 when Reagan was elected or something like that.  So that makes that 1990 marathon look pretty good.

Well, at least now, Obama can tell Ryan, "You didn't run that.  Somebody else made that happen."

Ha!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

spinach

If you accept my guess that Ryan was just misspeaking when he said he ran a sub three meaning that he ran a sub four..  I don't think any "wow" response would normally draw a I used to be fast comment.

It amazes me that Biden can say something which could be considered crazy and racially dividing and Obama can say something arguably quite upsetting to many who started a company yet neither of those 2 recent comments are brought up within RA (offense or defense).  FWIW, I'm glad it wasn't.

Then, when Ryan says something that can clearly be non-political and a very small issue, and quite likely a slip of the tongue, he becomes a "liar".

(There's a lot of political bias here on RA.  Stephanopolis is also wrong).

BTW, I hate all politics.  Don't like either of our 2 options, but I dislike the bias of the people more than any of those 4 guys.

Cheers,
                        Brian 

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It amazes me that Biden can say something which could be considered crazy and racially dividing and Obama can say something arguably quite upsetting to many who started a company yet neither of those 2 recent comments are brought up within RA (offense or defense).  FWIW, I'm glad it wasn't.

Then, when Ryan says something that can clearly be non-political and a very small issue, and quite likely a slip of the tongue, he becomes a "liar".

(There's a lot of political bias here on RA.  Stephanopolis is also wrong).

BTW, I hate all politics.  Don't like either of our 2 options, but I dislike the bias of the people more than any of those 4 guys.

Cheers,
                          Brian 

We are runners. You can mislead us on a many things but not your PR!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

We are runners. You can mislead us on a many things but not your PR!

+1.

The name of this here website is RunningAhead dot com afterall.

Runners run

I'd like to be diplomatic and say that I don't remember some of my PRs from 25 years ago, but I'm pretty sure that I could remember them within an hour's range. As a side note, I'd like to add that Ryan seems like a fucking ass.

Thanks.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

fucking ass.

And he's against that sort of thing too.