Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

bhearn

Turns out none of us have really run sub-3s. At least, I don't recall ever running 7 miles a minute.

Ryan Admits Misstating Marathon Time (NY Times)

Mr. Ryan is known for his dedicated physical fitness regimen. But as serious runners know, a marathon run under three hours is quite a feat, and requires a pace of under 7 miles a minute for the whole race, as The Los Angeles Times pointed out.

MTA -- I am not supposed to be here; I am taking September off from all forms of social interwebbing. See y'all in a month.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Biden and Obama lied about their marathon times too?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Maybe Ryan was speaking of this race as a composite of several races, for the sake of compression.  You know, the way Obama did with Juliana, his New York girlfriend, who isn't an actual person, but a composite of several.  It's complicated, but explainable.

There's a certain dishonor to fabricating one's marathon time. A marathon is not some weekend 5K for the local elementary PTA, even on a schedule of 40miles /wk this is a large personal investment. An investment that a runner shares with every other marathoner on race day. What's more, who would answer a question about a race PR, when you've only completed the distance once, by not qualifying that fact? Most people would say, 'yeah this is my pr, but I've only run once. So, personal record but only by default'. Along the same lines, nobody that's run just one marathon, when they were 20, is going to say 'I don't run marathons anymore', and imply that they were once some kind of competitive marathoner. We may all know someone that has said this kind of stuff, we also know that they were full of it.

Somebody that isn't a runner isn't going to care less about any of this, but the idea as to whether it was an honest mistake or not and should depend on one's perspective is false. Someone may believe that it's un-important but you don't just get to choose whether something is dishonest or not when it's blatant.

Why is it sideways?

Maybe Ryan was speaking of this race as a composite of several races, for the sake of compression.  You know, the way Obama did with Juliana, his New York girlfriend, who isn't an actual person, but a composite of several.  It's complicated, but explainable.

Wait, this is the thread where we accuse others of lying, not where we spread lies about others. You must have been confused.

This article is defending Obama's use of composite characters... where's the lie in what I posted?  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/politico-defends-new-york-girlfriend-post/2012/05/02/gIQALbl8wT_blog.html

Wait, this is the thread where we accuse others of lying, not where we spread lies about others. You must have been confused.

Why is it sideways?

This is a article is defending Obama's use of composite characters... where's the lie in what I posted?  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/politico-defends-new-york-girlfriend-post/2012/05/02/gIQALbl8wT_blog.html

Oh, I guess I was confused because you were talking about some "Juliana" I googled around and didn't find any Obama girlfriend named Juliana, so I assumed that this was some weird thing that was just made up. My bad. Also, it's sorta strange because you wrote it as if these were Obama's current girlfriends when he is a married man.

Finally, Paul Ryan only ran one marathon.

Why is it sideways?

But hey, you win because now we are talking about Obama. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out none of us have really run sub-3s. At least, I don't recall ever running 7 miles a minute.

Ryan Admits Misstating Marathon Time (NY Times)

Mr. Ryan is known for his dedicated physical fitness regimen. But as serious runners know, a marathon run under three hours is quite a feat, and requires a pace of under 7 miles a minute for the whole race, as The Los Angeles Times pointed out.

MTA -- I am not supposed to be here; I am taking September off from all forms of social interwebbing. See y'all in a month.

"He gave me a good ribbing..." Yes, it was all har, har around the picturesque American dinner table. JUST SPIN IT, BABY!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

My bad... the name may not be correct, but I thought this was something most people had heard about.

I've never heard anything about Obama having a girlfriend while married.

It's easy for me to see how Democrats give Democrats an easy pass. Biden lied about his education (said he graduated top half but was near the bottom), and apparently plagiarized a speech, but I don't remember hearing a lot about that.

Our choices are Obama/Biden, and Romney/Ryan. I'm not saying that finding out Obama or Biden lied about something justifies Ryan lying. It's just clear that our political leanings play a big part in the focus of righteous indignation.

And yes, I read that Ryan only ran one marathon.  I was joking about the composite thing. Pretty hilarious I guess. <crickets>

Oh, I guess I was confused because you were talking about some "Juliana" I googled around and didn't find any Obama girlfriend named Juliana, so I assumed that this was some weird thing that was just made up. My bad. Also, it's sorta strange because you wrote it as if these were Obama's current girlfriends when he is a married man.

Finally, Paul Ryan only ran one marathon.

Why is it sideways?

My bad... the name may not be correct, but I thought this was something most people had heard about.

I've never heard anything about Obama having a girlfriend while married.

It's easy for me to see how Democrats give Democrats an easy pass. Biden lied about his education (said he graduated top half but was near the bottom), and apparently plagiarized a speech, but I don't remember hearing a lot about that.

Our choices are Obama/Biden, and Romney/Ryan. I'm not saying that finding out Obama or Biden lied about something justifies Ryan lying. It's just clear that our political leanings play a big part in the focus of righteous indignation.

And yes, I read that Ryan only ran one marathon.  I was joking about the composite thing. Pretty hilarious I guess. <crickets>

a) The name may not be correct?  Or is not correct?

b) Why are we talking about Democrats giving Democrats a pass on a silly thread about Ryan's insignificant gaffe?

c) I don't see too many righteously indignant posts about Ryan's marathon misspeak on this thread. Most of the righteously indignant are righteously indignant about how making fun of Ryan is somehow a sign of political ideology.

d) The joke wasn't funny because it was just classic bullshit politics. Let's take this opportunity to smear the other side!

Somebody tie my arms to my chair.

You idiots.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Its a shame that running turns into politics.  Can't we all just get along?

Jeff