Update on my appointment (Read 574 times)

Now that was a bath...

The clinic was great. I had an ultrasound and extensive examination and they came to the conclusion that I have injured the meniscus cartilage and possibly the articular cartilage at the end of my leg bones. There isn't a tear but the area shows minor swelling and they isolated the pain to that region. They used massage to stimulate blood supply to the area, then ultrasound, then a weird machine that stimulated the muscles in that area and felt really freaky! I am not allowed to run at the moment but I go back every two days for more of the same treatments and I can cross train in their gym for free too. She said to start with just ten minutes on a cycle and they will see how I go - maybe some pool running soon. The funny thing was that I took my logs, summary page and maps with elevation profiles from here and they were all amazed! The sports therapists kept popping into my room and asking me about Running Ahead. She said that she hoped to have me running again on the flat within two weeks. They thought that the problem was caused a while ago on the day that I rolled my ankle during a run. They think I caused the knee injury at that time but that it only presented as a weakness until the constant pounding of the hill running aggrevated it. This is great news as it means it's not all down to doing too much, but more of a stupid accident. Hopefully that means I can go back to being my usual eager self shortly. I asked about my 12K in January and she said she was optimistic that I would be able to run it - but that I had to understand that this injury may affect my training quite considerably so it will affect my performance. I just want to run the darn thing, I never expected to do it brilliantly. I just want my shot at those hills! All in all I am sad I can't run, but happy that it's on the way to being sorted. I can't believe that this entire service is free. We don't even have to have medical insurance here! In England it would have taken me months to get a free referral (not three hours) and then it would have been in a rubbish clinic with no follow up. They even gave my husband a free deep tissue back massage whilst he was there as he has a sore back and they said it was in spasm. And they said he can come back with me on thursday for a follow up one. He was mildly terrified when the girl said that they might work on his glut's next time! On that note - my lady said that I had incredibly strong glut's - so woohoo to my butt for being superb. She also assessed my running and walking gait and said I was completely neutral with nicely placed kneecaps and very good bone distribution. It seems that I am pretty fantastic. Tongue Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

You're darn right that you're pretty fantastic! Glad to hear that everything is sorted out. I wouldn't worry about your training in regards to the 12k. So long as you keep up with cross training, you would be in good shape for it. Good luck and be well.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*giggles* She said rubbish, again! Wink Wow, I think I want to move to NZ for your medical care--that is outstanding! Sounds like your caregiver isn't telling you to forget running, too, which is awesome! I agree with Eric, you're going to be just fine for your race if you stay active in other ways over the coming weeks. Take care of that knee! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

*giggles* She said rubbish, again! Wink Wow, I think I want to move to NZ for your medical care--that is outstanding! Sounds like your caregiver isn't telling you to forget running, too, which is awesome! I agree with Eric, you're going to be just fine for your race if you stay active in other ways over the coming weeks. Take care of that knee! Big grin k
          i think that when you're in a coma that's when the NZ doctors will prescribe rest. I've seen those rugby matches where folks are missing ears,various broken body parts and they still play. Smile my favorite NZ thing was the 'boot sales', where they have garage sales in the boot (trunk) of their car

Finished!

glad to see you're sorted Smile And i have to say I'm jealous of the health care too! I'm in serious need of some bodywork!
            Walk + Jog = wog.
            I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
            I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Yay for it being fixable! Yay for crosstraining! Yay for running! Yay for Claire! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Claire, that is fantastic news. I am very happy for you. I am sure you are going to have a great race! Ewa
                I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                vicentefrijole

And i have to say I'm jealous of the health care too!
                  Me too! Not to turn this into a different topic, but why can't the US take a few lessons from these other countries? Our medical insurance/payment system is a such mess... Tongue Glad you got it all sorted out so well! YAY! Big grin