1600m vs 1 mile (Read 848 times)

I have a couple of 1600m races and several 1 mile races, but they both show up under 1 mile personal records.  Yeah, I know they're only 9 meters different, but on our track they're run as different races.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hoban-Jay

1600 meters = 0.96 miles.  You can manually break it down that way and should be fine.

1600 meters = 0.96 miles.  You can manually break it down that way and should be fine.

He's not having trouble logging them--he correctly logged the 1600 as 1600m and the mile as 1 mile. The issue is that because they are so close in distance, the log treats them as the same for PR purposes.

One answer is to never race that bastardized distance known as the 1600. It just isn't that hard to paint a waterfall start line 9 meters behind the common finish line. If you want to go metric, run the 1500, and if you're gong traditional make it a real mile.

But on on a a more serious note--I'm not sure I would consider this lumping together of 1 mile and 1600 PR's a problem unless I had a 1600 PR that was 1 second less than my mile PR and the log displayed that--but then in that case you could just check the box to exclude the 1600 from PRs.

Runners run

joescott

Wrong.  1600m = 0.9944 miles.  The two distances are so darn close, the mile is just three or four extra steps when you are running a mile as you should.

I consider both 1600s and true miles (having raced both the last 3 years) "eligible" for my "mile" PR.  I know they are a couple seconds different but that's fine with me.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Walk-Jogger

So how much difference does there have to be before the log file decides it's a different race? My 60 meter and 100 meter races are also lumped together as the "same" race distance for my personal record, which means that the 60 meter race shows up as a PR in my log but there is no 100m race PR.

Retired &  Loving It

Or to put it another way a mile is 1609m.

erk - double post.

eric :)

Lou,

I can special case the 1600m race so it won't be lumped into the miler.  Also, I haven't forgotten about you.  I just haven't the time to write back.

eric Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the mile is just one or two crazy maddening extra seconds

Eric, is there a way to exclude all distances under, say, 2 miles from being grouped for PR purposes? That would take care of the same 3200 vs 2 mile confusion as well as the sprints such as Cecil57's example.

Runners run

Lou,

I can special case the 1600m race so it won't be lumped into the miler.  Also, I haven't forgotten about you.  I just haven't the time to write back.

eric Smile

Thanks.  I think mike is onto something.  Also, on a related note, I wonder if you see a "race" which isn't a "standard" distance, maybe highlight it or something so people can change the distance.  The PR feature really works best if you don't use what the garmin says, i.e., if the user changes 1.02 miles to 1 mile, or whatever the race distance was.

And I know you haven't forgotten about our discussions.  I'm giving you some space because I know how busy you are.

Hmm -- I have not been getting email on this topic, even tho I'm subscribed.  Am I misunderstanding the "subscribe" feature, or is there a new bug?

Hoban-Jay

He's not having trouble logging them--he correctly logged the 1600 as 1600m and the mile as 1 mile. The issue is that because they are so close in distance, the log treats them as the same for PR purposes.

One answer is to never race that bastardized distance known as the 1600. It just isn't that hard to paint a waterfall start line 9 meters behind the common finish line. If you want to go metric, run the 1500, and if you're gong traditional make it a real mile.

But on on a a more serious note--I'm not sure I would consider this lumping together of 1 mile and 1600 PR's a problem unless I had a 1600 PR that was 1 second less than my mile PR and the log displayed that--but then in that case you could just check the box to exclude the 1600 from PRs.

That's quite odd....I certainly have not encountered that problem.

Hmm -- I have not been getting email on this topic, even tho I'm subscribed.  Am I misunderstanding the "subscribe" feature, or is there a new bug?

Oh, they show up under "my topics".  Now I get it.

eric :)

Oh, they show up under "my topics".  Now I get it.

It depends on what you selected.  Follow goes into "My Topics" while subscribe will also result in an email.