Treadmill Douche-baggery? (Read 942 times)

Alternative versions include the guy who cranks it up to 9mph then hops on for 2 minutes, then hops into the straddle again.  Maybe that makes more sense -- since the belt doesn't stop as quickly as you might on the track if you're doing sprint intervals.

This guy is at my gym.  What makes it even more epic is that he has to hold onto the sides while running because it's too fast for him.

Julia1971

I hit the gym treadmill for the first time in over a year this morning.  (I've hardened up - I ran in a snow storm a couple days ago - but wind chill of 0 drove me inside).  Oddest behavior I saw was a guy on the elliptical who kept crouching.  What's the benefit of ellipicaling from a crouched position?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Whenever I am force to run in a gym/hotel and see such behavior I like to jump on next to them and crank it up to at least 10mph for a few miles.

Treadmill Roulette

- you find a "buddy"

- identify his speed and up the ante

- he must to match your ante

- you can't up the ante again until he ups it

- first person to quit or reduce their speed loses

Double points if you beat him at his ante.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Oddest behavior I saw was a guy on the elliptical who kept crouching.  What's the benefit of ellipicaling from a crouched position?

Duck-walks?  Hell on your quads.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

At my gym, we have a guy who straddles the sides, cranks the treadmill up to 10-12 mph, jumps on for 10 seconds, and then back to straddling. He repeats this routine for a couple of minutes and looks dangerously close to falling of the back by the end. The treadmill is about 15 feet away from an almost empty indoor track.

Walk-Jogger

I hit the gym treadmill for the first time in over a year this morning.  (I've hardened up - I ran in a snow storm a couple days ago - but wind chill of 0 drove me inside).  Oddest behavior I saw was a guy on the elliptical who kept crouching.  What's the benefit of ellipicaling from a crouched position?

Maybe he's training for this:

Retired &  Loving It

At my gym, we have a guy who straddles the sides, cranks the treadmill up to 10-12 mph, jumps on for 10 seconds, and then back to straddling. He repeats this routine for a couple of minutes and looks dangerously close to falling of the back by the end. The treadmill is about 15 feet away from an almost empty indoor track.

If he's using an incline, I don't think this is that odd. This is a way to do hill sprints indoors.

This is exactly how I tell my son to do short hill sprints on  the TM when there's no place to do it outside.

12 MPH at a 10% incline is about a 4 min mile effort, and near his max speed (he's 99% slow twitch).

But, yeah, if there's a track right next door, and he's just sprinting w/ no incline, he could just as easily do it on the track.  However, I presume he's trying to avoid making the sharp turns at or near full speed.

The treadmills themselves are douchebags at my gym. At 58 minutes, they abruptly slow to 2.5 mph, and "COOL DOWN" is displayed on the screen. The first time this happened to me....whoa.

Julia1971

Maybe he's training for this:

LOL!  That has to be why.

TripleBock

I think you call that a lat work out - Kindof like low weight rowing.  I do agree, everytime I see that, I think "Let go"

The guy I don't get is the one who puts the incline up to 10 but then leans back while holding onto the console with both hands and walks "uphill". Is this basically a forearm workout?

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

ultramarathon/triathlete

The treadmills themselves are douchebags at my gym. At 58 minutes, they abruptly slow to 2.5 mph, and "COOL DOWN" is displayed on the screen. The first time this happened to me....whoa.

My gym's treadmills do that at 60 minutes.  It's annoying to hit 60 min, slow down, wait for it to come to a full stop, then wait for it to "reset" the belt, then crank the speed back up and run again when doing long runs.   Usually I just hope no one is on the mill next to me and when I hit 60 I'll just hop to the open one and go.

I saw someone running backwards on the treadmill in my gym earlier this week.  I've done that in the past but just always felt dumb and really felt like I was risking a very embarrassing fall.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

Feeling the growl again

I wasted time trying to find Jester's crazy Trex running on a treadmill video to no avail.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My gym's treadmills do that at 60 minutes.  It's annoying to hit 60 min, slow down, wait for it to come to a full stop, then wait for it to "reset" the belt, then crank the speed back up and run again when doing long runs.   Usually I just hope no one is on the mill next to me and when I hit 60 I'll just hop to the open one and go.

I saw someone running backwards on the treadmill in my gym earlier this week.  I've done that in the past but just always felt dumb and really felt like I was risking a very embarrassing fall.

Ours will rebound pretty quickly, but it's still annoying. When it gets within a few seconds of the forced cool down, I put my feet on the sideboards (gasp!), then hit the stop button when it slows down. Then there's the option to restart. It keeps the distance, but the time starts over.

We have a backwards-running guy, too. A little awkward if he's directly in front....he looks at all of us on the next row.

Wing

Joggaholic

Is it wrong that I was hoping to see him slip up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfUgXcvq4g

Feeling the growl again

Is it wrong that I was hoping to see him slip up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfUgXcvq4g

Almost as impressive as THIS.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills