2013 Misc Goal Thread (Read 524 times)

I love the goal threads here. Last year I was able to participate in the sub20 5k, sub90 half, and sub3 marathon. This year I would like a place for some goals that don't fit those common thresholds. Hopefully this can be that place and you will join me.

What do you want to do in 2013 that is a little different? Do you want to qualify for the trials? Run a 5k faster than your belt size?

Goals:

AthleteGoalDate Accomplished
    Crazy Justin sub-19 5k  
      sub-5:15 mile  
    jaxn half-marathon to qualify for NYC (sub 1:19)  
      10k faster than age (35)

npaden 10k faster than age (45)  
    rgilbert Beat the guys and gals from running club  
    spinach Qualify for elite status at Twin Cities Marathon  
      Run a marathon in 2:[age] (2:55/2:56)  
    youngoffender Mile in under 5:30  

Attempts:

DateRaceAthleteResult
    March 9th Tom King Classic Half-Marathon jaxn  
    April 28th Mohican Forget the PR 50k rgilbert  
    July 4th Peachtree Road Race 10k jaxn  

--

Nashville, TN

npaden

One of my goals for 2013 is to run my age in a 10K.  I'll turn 45 this year and I would like to go sub 45 minutes.  That's 4 minutes off my PR from this fall so it's going to be a challenge for me.

I have 3 10Ks that I will probably run this year, one in June, one in September and one in October.  That should give me some time to fine tune my pacing and hopefully have some good weather on at least one of them.  The September race is the Shallowater Stampede 10K and probably has the best chance for me to go sub 45.  That's where I set my PR this year.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

How's this for a goal that doesn't fit with the time threads?

Goal: Beat the guys and gals from my running club.

Locale: Mohican Forget the PR 50K.  April 28th.

I have no idea what time it will take, but racing is more fun than shooting for time, anyway.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Crazy Justin

I'll be focusing mostly on speed in 2013.  I managed to hit sub-40 for 10K and sub-90 in the half.

Primary goals for 2013:

-sub-19 5K

-sub-5:15 Mile.

Mile: 5:18,   5K: 19:09,  10K: 39:44,  Half: 1:28:12,  Full: 3:21:56

Post-35 PRs:

Mile: 6:02,  5K: 21:14, 10K: 45:40, Half: 1:42:24

http://jzehnder208.googlepages.com

www.crazyj208.blogspot.com

I'd like to run a mile under 5:30. I don't know of any mile races around here so I'll have to look into that; otherwise I'll have to do it solo (seems less likely to produce a good result).

spinach

I already made my main goal for next year, qualify for the elite status at the Twin Cities marathon, thanks to the fact that my age is a pretty big number.  I saw another goal that someone mentioned that probably isn't reachable but our reach should exceed our grasp and all that.  Let's go for 2 plus our age in a marathon this year.  That will be 2:55 in Fargo next year or 2:56 in the Twin Cities.

Similar goals here too.

Marathon:  2 hours + Age = 2:42 (but actually I'll be gunning for 2:39:59)

Mile:  Break 5 minutes (which I've never, ever done)

Statistically, I've read the 2hr + age marathon is easiest at 39 years? 

3 running goals for me - sub 21 minute 5k, sub 45 minute Spartan Sprint (PacNW, August 3rd), and then a training consistency goal - at least 1 mile every day of 2013.

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

I've got a few, but the most miscellaneous one is to run 26 miles some time around my 26th birthday in early June.  It may be in an official marathon if there is one nearby or hopefully just a fat-ass trail event with some crazy friends.

npaden

Been thinking about my 2013 Miscellanous goal and it's looking a lot more daunting than my May marathon!

Ran a couple 2 mile races and did the first in 14:55 and the second in 14:32.  The scary thing is that I'm supposed to be able to hold that pace for 4 more miles to make my goal!!  I didn't taper or specifically train for either of those races though, so I think I could do a little better if I did, but not sure how much better.  Using McMillan's calculators I should be running 13:15 on the 2 mile (6:37 pace) to be able to run a 45:00 10K.

I had been hoping that somehow miraculously I would just get way faster after logging all these miles training for the marathon, but it hasn't happened so far.  I know I still have a couple more months of high volume ahead of me and the body takes time to adapt, but I think it is still going to take a lot of work after the marathon is over to be able to make my 45 minute 10K goal.

Last year I was making progress by leaps and bounds, this year, it's by 5 seconds here and 10 seconds there.  I need to shave over 30 seconds off my pace to have a chance at a 45:00 10K by the end of the year.

I'm hoping that I didn't set the bar too high with this goal and that I still have a chance of making it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

2013 Miles in 2013 --- Not original, but a good goal.  And a massive one compared to my previous meager running mileage. :-)

Also, run 365 of 365 days in 2013.

Oh, I have one... I may be on pace to run a race a week in 2013.  (52 races in 52 weeks?)

52 in 52,  365 of 365,  and 2013 in 2013?!  That'll work!  Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

npaden

It's looking like miscellaneous goals aren't all that popular! Smile

Or maybe we just don't like to talk about them.

I made my sub 4 hour first marathon goal earlier this month and I'm just now starting to work on my sub 45:00 10K goal now.

Did 12 X 400m intervals last night, but it was crappy weather outside so I did them on the treadmill.  My only issue is that I think my treadmill isn't calibrated correctly and there really isn't a way to adjust it that I've figured out.  I think it is off about 15 or 20 seconds per mile at 6.0 mph so maybe a little more than that at higher speeds?  Anyway, to adjust for that I ran a little bit faster and set the incline to 2%.

Did the first 4 intervals at 7:30 pace, next 4 at 7:25 pace, next 3 at 7:20 pace and then blew it out on the last one at 7:00 pace.

My first 10K of the year is coming up on June 8th and this will let me know if my goal of sub 45:00 is actually achievable or not.  I'm trying to decide whether to go out conservatively at a 7:45 pace and plan on finishing strong or to go out at a 7:30 pace and just hope to hold on.

I'm hoping to finish at 47:XX for sure, a 7:40 avg pace would get me 47:30 and I think that is about what I'm capable of right now.  That would be an improvement of over 1:00 per mile from the same race last year when I ran a 54:15 for an 8:44 avg pace.

If I can do that, I'm thinking with a lot of miles this summer and 2 days a week of speed work that I hopefully can pull off a 7:15 pace in September when I plan to run my next 10K, but I think it is still a very lofty goal.  My 10K PR was set at that same race and was a breakthrough type race for me where I exceeded my expectations with a 49:18 (My "A" goal for that race was to break 50 minutes) for an avg pace of 7:57.

I'm thinking for my sub 45:00 goal to be more realistic I need to end up closer to a 7:30 pace on the race coming up in a couple weeks, but of course weather could be a big factor this time of year.

The race predictors are all giving me 48:XX projections for a 10K based on my marathon and half marathon times, so I guess I hope that my coefficient is higher than average!

Oh well, just thinking through my goal plans and thought I would bump this thread one more time.  If anyone has any specific input I'm all ears.  I used the Hansons plan for my marathon and I'm using a version of their 10K plan over the summer for my goal 10K that will be on September 14th.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Little, incremental PRs = more PRs.  Just sayin'.

Good luck with your challenging goals, Nathan!  Hope you beat the calculators! Smile

MTA:  My only noteworthy goal at the moment is a sub-6:30 mile.  That would be a 12-second PR.

npaden

Well, I had to do some searching to find this thread and bring it back up.

My goal 10K is coming up in just under 2 weeks.  I've been hitting my paces in my workouts and hopefully the weather will turn out good on race day and I think I have a shot at making my goal of sub 45:00, but it is going to be close and it is going to take some serious effort.

Ran a 46:59 back in June and have been working pretty hard on my training in July and August with 190 mile months.  Doing lots of interval training following a Hanson 10K plan.

Really hoping to make it.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

I had not thought about beating my age in a 10k until I read this today, however I happened to accomplish that yesterday by running 39:50 at age 40. I was more hung up on the fact that I skipped over the 40s. My PR had been 50:05 and I knocked 10:15 off in one attempt. To be fair I really just started to run less than a year ago and the ridiculous improvement in times will come to an end soon. I started the year hoping to run my first marathon this fall at Twin Cities and avoid injury, but the way things are progressing I am thinking about taking a shot at a Boston Q.