Difference Between Running and Jogging (your opinion) (Read 1480 times)

runnin from hell

I once read that many "Runners" only classify running when you are traveling at an 8 min mile pace or faster...anything slower than that is considered "Jogging". What is your opinion on this?

Hawt and sexy

Chia running rules.

I'm touching your pants.

I guess I've never "ran" in my life Wink In my crazy head running versus jogging is a distance thing. I "run" 8 miles or more, and I "jog" a couple laps.
        Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I once read that many "Runners" only classify running when you are traveling at an 8 min mile pace or faster...anything slower than that is considered "Jogging". What is your opinion on this?
          Yeah...and some of those "runners" have logged half the miles I have this year. Only time I hit sub-8 is going down hill. I think whether one is a runner or a jogger is up to the individual. I kind of like the race entry thing, myself.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Someone much smarter than me said something along these lines: Joggers have to tell themselves to go for a run. Runners can't wait for their next run. The basic being that no matter the pace, if you're doing it for the joy of the sport, you're a runner.

Hawt and sexy

Runners run. Once you go out the door or hit the treadmill, you are running. Jogging is a word nonrunners made up to make slow-paced runners feel bad. If you are are moving by your own two feet, and at some point during your stride both feet are off the ground, you are running. It's really that simple.

I'm touching your pants.

runnin from hell

Runners run. Once you go out the door or hit the treadmill, you are running. Jogging is a word nonrunners made up to make slow-paced runners feel bad. If you are are moving by your own two feet, and at some point during your stride both feet are off the ground, you are running. It's really that simple.
                ill take that....
                  Joggers are people I pass when I'm out running. Wink Seriously, jogging is simply a term for running that appeared in the 70's. Unfortunately it didn't pass with the 70's. Tom
                  CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Someone much smarter than me said something along these lines: Joggers have to tell themselves to go for a run. Runners can't wait for their next run. The basic being that no matter the pace, if you're doing it for the joy of the sport, you're a runner.
                    I like that. Big grin I would add running has a positive connotation and jogging has a negative one. Does the phrase jogging conjure up images of velour track suits and headbands for anyone else? Clowning around

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does the phrase jogging conjure up images of velour track suits and headbands for anyone else? Clowning around
                      Yes...and Ron Burgundy. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Jogging is a word nonrunners made up to make slow-paced runners feel bad.
                        That sounds nice and it is fun to say. It's also not even kinda, sorta true. In the US, we have our buddy Coach Bowerman to thank for originally popularizing the word "jogging". I would never consider him to be a nonrunner. It traces back further and outside the US (a couple relevant links found here). Anyway. I don't know anyone that actually changes terms between "jogging" and "running" based on the same exact pace for everyone. A great many people *do* mean "slow running" when they say "jogging". But not everybody. An 8:01 pace is quite speedy for some folks... and obviously slow for others. My opinion is that it gets used as a pejorative, which is what willamona's joke (?) was getting at, and so I don't use it. You are walking or you are running (or hopping or skipping or whathaveyou).

Hawt and sexy

Dammit, srlopez! Can't you let me have fun here? Seriously. I have one thing to say to you.....

I'm touching your pants.

mikeymike

I jog all the time.

Runners run

Jayr

In my opinion it's all based on ability and persective. For someone who runs at Marathon 2:59 to 3:10... That's really running right.... Wrong!!!! Just a jog for the guy who runs 2:04..... So the question almost becomes time and space?

Half Fanatic #846

I can run AND jog at the same time! Big grin

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!