'We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.' (Read 569 times)

I really concern how her children grow up like. Having the history, if she didn't recover, her children could be in danger, not physically but mentally.

What we really need is perhaps a license to give birth (This may raise another round of anger from the religious people). Many parents have no clue how to raise a child. At the end, many children are physically abused, mentally abused, intellectually abused or even worse sexual abused. Consequently some of these children become criminals to target others to release what they hate.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

The legal system has mechanisms to determine the proper punishment for various crimes.  Whether I think someone is morally bankrupt or not is a personal opinion.  For a legal bar, one could look at the line drawn between life in prison and the death penalty for some insight into how a jury might draw the line as it applies to real punishment.  I recall from years ago an example of someone who got the death penalty; one of the jurors reported that the fact that he had calmly finished his victim's McDonalds as he left the crime scene demonstrated his gross indifference to having ended a human life.

The legal system's mechanisms for determining punishments are not mechanisms for determining whether someone convicted of a crime is capable of rehabilitation.    The issue of rehabilitation is, rather, left for the post-conviction stage; in other words, to the prison system.  So, I just don't see what relevance your reference to jury determinations regarding capital punishment has to the questions I posed.

While you are absolutely entitled to your personal opinion, the prison system in the US, in theory at least, is not based on anyone's personal opinion.  Nor is it based on "an eye for an eye" or unbridled retributive emotion (or, at least, it is not intended to be).  Rather, it is based on rational legal principles, including but not limited to the concept of rehabilitation.  This, indeed, is why prisons are generally called "correctional facilities."  The word "correctional" in this context clearly implies that there is an intent to correct (i.e., rehabilitate) each prisoner placed there.

Obviously, rehabilitation will not work in practice with everyone, but I disagree that we can apply any kind of meaningful standard to distinguish, in advance, those prisoners who are entitled to be the beneficiary of rehabilitative efforts and those who, given the supposed nature of their crime, are not.  There is no rational standard by which someone could decide that, and it would be arbitrary and capricious for such a decision to be based on non-rational (i.e. emotional) factors.

The Mc

As a former prosecutor and current defense attorney, Judges, at least where I am, are to consider various factors in sentencing, including the potential for rehabilitation.  Maybe it is different in other places.  Here, you look at punishment, rehabilitation, deterrence (specific and general) and public safety.

Papa don't take no mess.

This, indeed, is why prisons are generally called "correctional facilities."  The word "correctional" in this context clearly implies that there is an intent to correct (i.e., rehabilitate) each prisoner placed there. 

The US prisons and any other prisons in the world don't fulfill the correction purpose. 67% prisoners commit crimes again and back to prison after they are released. The prison certainly fails the correction purpose. In the documentary I mentioned early shows the inmate culture in prisons, which is no sympathy allowed and weakness should be eliminated,  actually enforce their criminal behaviors.  They become no better but worse.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Feeling the growl again

I really concern how her children grow up like. Having the history, if she didn't recover, her children could be in danger, not physically but mentally.

What we really need is perhaps a license to give birth (This may raise another round of anger from the religious people). Many parents have no clue how to raise a child. At the end, many children are physically abused, mentally abused, intellectually abused or even worse sexual abused. Consequently some of these children become criminals to target others to release what they hate.

While I don't like the trend of stable, well-educated couples having 1-2 children and poor or single mothers having many more....

With comments like this, perhaps you should just go back to communist China.  You'll be happier.  Religion doesn't even need to be in the equation.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

As a former prosecutor and current defense attorney, Judges, at least where I am, are to consider various factors in sentencing, including the potential for rehabilitation.  Maybe it is different in other places.  Here, you look at punishment, rehabilitation, deterrence (specific and general) and public safety.

Slothful, respectfully I disagree.  And at least one former prosecutor and current defense attorney agrees.  Perhaps your locality differs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

And +1 to spaniel's response to Mr. Liu, who I believe lives in Canada.

JimR

If you had any reading comprehension, you would know this has been answered directly.  Look, I don't write people off easily but you have reached my limit, don't lose any sleep waiting for another response.

Responses, not answers.  You generally bring the issue in so I want to hear your answer, or response, or whatever.

What specifically do cars have to do with guns?

mikeymike

What do paintball guns have to do with unicycles? Use your imagination, man.

And if s mouse pisses on cotton who hears it? ... Who. Hears it?

mta: I witnessed a drive by shooting once. That takes a gun AND a car.

Runners run

What do paintball guns have to do with unicycles? Use your imagination, man.

And if s mouse pisses on cotton who hears it? ... Who. Hears it?

Oh, shit!  I've got the next idea for a fad 5k!  Former SEALS that are now clowns will ride unicycles firing paintballs at you.  It will be called the Clown Warrior 5k.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

mta: I witnessed a drive by shooting once. That takes a gun AND a car.

I laughed.

i also can't believe it took 'us' 14 hours the find the answer.

And with that, good night.  I can now rest.

thanks, Mikey!!!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

No Talent Drips

I think we need a eugenics program based on 5k times. You know, forced sterilization if you can't break "X:XX" time.

Also, there is the problem of runners' propensity to mate according to VO2 Max--combined with the trend that higher VO2 Max couples are having fewer children.

We are getting slower as a nation. Thank God for our guns.

Dei Gratia

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, shit!  I've got the next idea for a fad 5k!  Former SEALS that are now clowns will ride unicycles firing paintballs at you.  It will be called the Clown Warrior 5k.

Guaranteed PR for me -- I flippin' hate clowns!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

Responses, not answers.  You generally bring the issue in so I want to hear your answer, or response, or whatever.

I somtimes drive my car with one of my hand guns in the glove compartment and other times my rifles in the trunk. Is that the correlation which you seek young padawan?

Oh and yes I am licensed to carry in my state. And frequently do.

This thread is about as useless as a $3 bill so I am happy to contribute to the stupidiy as my first post in several weeks here.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/