'We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.' (Read 569 times)

JimR

So do rocks, bows and javelins.

I'd rather my chances facing any one of those over a gun.

No Talent Drips

Since assault weapons are fully-automatic by definition

Or:

Assault weapon is a political and legal term that refers to different types of firearms and weapons, and is a term that has differing meanings, usages and purposes.

In discussions about gun laws and gun politics in the United States, an assault weapon is most commonly defined as a semi-automatic firearm possessing certain cosmetic, ergonomic, or construction features similar to those of military firearms.

I'm happy to agree with your definition, but let's call it that.

Anyways, let's ban assault beavers too.

I said, Good morning. FFS.

Dei Gratia

So do rocks

how would smoking crack help?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Shanti.... peace, brother!

Good morning

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

JimR

how would smoking crack help?

Here in Toronto, the mayor shows up!

No Talent Drips

Shanti.... peace, brother!

And to you.

Dei Gratia

Feeling the growl again

Or:

Assault weapon is a political and legal term that refers to different types of firearms and weapons, and is a term that has differing meanings, usages and purposes.

In discussions about gun laws and gun politics in the United States, an assault weapon is most commonly defined as a semi-automatic firearm possessing certain cosmetic, ergonomic, or construction features similar to those of military firearms.

I'm happy to agree with your definition, but let's call it that.

Well, it's not my definition, and Wikipedia is hardly a definitive source.  My point was that as used in real firearms circles, the term denotes a real meaningful, functional difference between an assault rifle and a non-assault rifle.  Your definition only refers to characteristics that affect the appearance of the weapon.  The term is used to pry on people's fears and emotions "it looks military" vs the actual functional capacity of the firearm.

And good morning to you too.  I'm sure you have much nice weather to enjoy on your run today than I do.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DaBurger

Say you ban guns, they don't exist anymore in the civilian world.  Assume best case scenario, and all the criminals return their guns

Now, the most dangerous threat to your safety is someone using a bow or throwing a javelin (both of which used to be high tech military weapons if you go back far enough).

The next target of your safety by removal process is to ban these items.

continue along this train, and we get to a point like this...

Now, say you're hobby is carpentry, you like making bird houses in your spare time, and someone wants to ban hammers, because you can throw them at people, and that's now the greatest threat.  But you say they can't ban hammers because they're instrumental to to my hobby, which doesn't harm other people.  Now carpenters are on the same level as recreational hunters are now.

Now, if you don't believe that this progression can and will happen, it already has started.  This move to ban semiautomatic rifles is already one move to get rid of the greatest perceived threat, now that fully automatic weapons, (and tactical nukes) are illegal to own.

Know thyself.

JimR

The next target of your safety by removal process is to ban these items.

Congrats on building a strawman.

No Talent Drips

My point was that as used in real firearms circles, the term denotes a real meaningful, functional difference between an assault rifle and a non-assault rifle.  Your definition only refers to characteristics that affect the appearance of the weapon. 

The real firearm circle definition. Got it.

FWIW. the wiki definition does go on to articulate the function of a semi-automatic "assault weapon" (quotes added out of deference).

I'll tell you what, no matter your (the collective "you") stance on gun regulation, it does not get much better than late August weather in Downeast Maine.

As KerCan reminded me, peace people.

Dei Gratia

DaBurger

Congrats on building a strawman.

learn to read, you missed the last paragraph

Know thyself.

Agreed.   It's utterly fallacious to argue that the possibility of other projectiles being used somehow obviates the need or purpose for gun control laws.     That's like saying we shouldn't regulate nuclear weapons because someone could be killed by a bomb that isn't nuclear.

JimR

learn to read, you missed the last paragraph

I read just fine.   Even slippery slopes are strawmen.

As KerCan reminded me, peace people.

For those who may or may not know.... "Shanti" means "peace", and that was the intent of my post.

Hidden behind that message, though, is that the OP real life situation is wacko / crazy / and insane.  Over the course of the last 4 days, we've shifted the threads focus.  Collectively, we can lose focus by throwing stones (or hammers) and get in feuds with our running friends while we all should agree that this crime is a tragedy.

I'd wish to hope that we could prevent this thread topic to be the next RunningAhead nuclear thread.

Peace, brothers.
                              Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Prince of Fatness

It's utterly fallacious to argue that the possibility of other projectiles being used somehow obviates the need or purpose for gun control laws.

I'm not sure that anyone said that.  I think rather, that the argument was that banning guns will solve the problem of these thugs going out and killing someone on a whim.  For one thing, banning guns will not eliminate them from the streets.  Furthermore, I do not believe that people that devalue another's life such as these are all that worried about getting caught with an illegal hand gun.

Not at it at all.