DUDES only RUN (Read 551 times)

CT JEFF

I dont get it. Women only Triathalon, Women's only races. Princess Run at Disney. How many Men only races are there? None? Why? I seem to remember my father being in a "men's only" club growing up. And every so often women would complain, loudly. But now, we have run after run planned and catering to women only. Why? I believe the argument for the Womens Only gym is so that women will feel more comfortable around women. But where is the men's only gym?

Id like to see one of two things, (1) stop excluding men from events or (2) make events catering to men.

What are your thoughts?

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

sugnim

There was a time, not too long ago, when all running events were men only.  The Olympics, the Boston Marathon, etc. were all "dudes only."  Women's running events are a celebration of the fact that women are now allowed to participate in these sort of events.  But, this is only in some countries.  There are places where running is still "dudes only."  In the middle east, all running events "cater to men."  So, my suggestions to you are: 1. Learn the history of your sport, 2. Run with your male friends if you don't like the co-ed competition, and 3. Go to an all-women's event, volunteer at an aid station, and enjoy the view.

This image is from 1967.  It is Katherine Switzer running the Boston Marathon.  As you can see, the race director was not very happy about having a woman at his "dudes only run."  Perhaps you, or someone you know, was alive in 1967.  It wasn't all that long ago.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I get what you are saying, but... men are rarely intimidated by large women plundering about at high speed. If you recognize that 100 lb and sometimes slower moving women might be somewhat intimidated by stronger-taller-larger, 200+ lb men moving past them at high speed, then it becomes more understandable that a women only event might get more women involved in the competing side of the sport.

Also, women have been excluded by men from things for thousands of years. A little payback shouldn't get your panties in a twist.

But I'd also like to hear what the women have to say.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

CT JEFF

There was a time, not too long ago, when all running events were men only.  The Olympics, the Boston Marathon, etc. were all "dudes only." So, my suggestions to you are: 1. Learn the history of your sport

This image is from 1967.  It is Katherine Switzer running the Boston Marathon.  As you can see, the race director was not very happy about having a woman at his "dudes only run."  Perhaps you, or someone you know, was alive in 1967.  It wasn't all that long ago.

Sugnm - I am aware of the past. I am aware of this image and what it represents. I felt a huge surge of pride when I first saw Katherine's boyfriend tackle the race director mid race when he attempted to remove Katherine's bib.

I guess you miss the point if you think that segregation was completely wrong when men did it is great now that women can do it.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Possibly it is a market issue -- maybe there is a market for women only races, and that market is drawing products catering to that market.

Maybe there does not appear to be a market for men only races.

Although I watched online a bunch of men only and women only races in Moscow, a month or so ago.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

delicate flower

I'm a dude and I don't give a shit.

<3

montag

Super Pro Lurker

I dont get it. Women only Triathalon, Women's only races. Princess Run at Disney. How many Men only races are there? None? Why? I seem to remember my father being in a "men's only" club growing up. And every so often women would complain, loudly. But now, we have run after run planned and catering to women only. Why? I believe the argument for the Womens Only gym is so that women will feel more comfortable around women. But where is the men's only gym?

Id like to see one of two things, (1) stop excluding men from events or (2) make events catering to men.

What are your thoughts?

I say go ahead. Make an event that is all men and see if it works. Perhaps it will.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

SubDood

I'm a dude, and I am not at all offended by "women-only" running events. The market theory posted earlier makes sense to me.  However, I am not yet sure whether to be offended by the "Skirtchaser" series of running events, where women get a 3 minute head start over the men (e.g., http://www.skirtsports.com/skirtchaser5k/stpaul/).  I was only slightly offended by a race called the "Geezer Chase," where old guys (and gals) like me get a 2 minute head start over a local HS cross-country team in a 2-mile race.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I get the view that a women-only event could be seen as just as exclusive as the (all) men-only events were a few decades ago. But having grown up in the 1960's (pre Title IX) I appreciate what it was like to view athletic events as a male thing. Things are different now, but not for all women. I participated in a women only triathlon and saw many women who would never have done a triathlon if they were competing with males. It is still the case that men in general run (and bike) faster than women so any woman who is self conscious about her ability is going to feel more comfortable in a women-only event. The idea is not to exclude men so much as to provide a supportive venue for women to compete.

I say go ahead. Make an event that is all men and see if it works. Perhaps it will.

Yes. And let us know how it works out. I have no interest in a dudes only run but I'm sure some dudes do.

Runners run

Julia1971

LOL!

OP, you may not like it but if you're truly looking to understand something that you don't get, Sugnim's answer was pretty much the explanation of why.  Participation in athletics has historically been very low for women and many of these races are an attempt just to get women out there.  I'll use an example from RA.  There was a post yesterday where someone compared there AGs in a certain race over time.  For the first 3 years of that race, my AG current didn't exist for women.  For the next decade, my PR would have consistently been top 3.  I found that so sad that I didn't reply to the thread...  I'll add that I ran my first women "only" race this year.  (FWIW, most of these races allow a limited number of men to participate so it's not the same type of banning that women faced in the past.  If you want to run a race with "Princess" in the title, go right on ahead.  Don't forget your tutu).  It was awesome for other reasons but also because I didn't have to play "I'm not gonna get chicked" psycho-head games with some dude.  No guy gasping for breath to pass me, getting in my line and then immediately slowing down.  No guy coming up to ask whether he managed to outkick me at the finish as if I'm his rabbit rather than congratulating me on a great race.  Seriously, the next guy that does this might get punched in the throat*.

*This is a joke.

Not dead. Yet.

I guess you miss the point if you think that segregation was completely wrong when men did it is great now that women can do it.

I think I agree with that statement.   I am a white male, though.  I don't think I have ever been part of any minority, so I might not understand the other side.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Phenix

The rationale behind women exclusive runs is entirely to make the participants feel more comfortable.  They also tend to be less about competition and more about participation.  What would the motivation behind a male-only race be, aside from just excluding women?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The rationale behind women exclusive runs is entirely to make the participants feel more comfortable. ...

I suspect that some of the time it is less "fuzzy, warm, altruistic" than this, and more about profit -- making $$ off of women (well, off of any customers, but by the nature of the setup, they limited their customer base largely to women up-front with these events).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.