PLEASE! : Post Your Top 10 Songs On Your Running Playlist! All Genres Welcome! (Read 3573 times)

eazy erik

1. Dragonforce-Through the Fire and Flames

2. Black Label Society-Stillborn

3. Iron Maiden-The Trooper

4. Slipknot-Before I Forget

5. Avenged Sevenfold-Beast and the Harlot

6. Corrosion of Conformity-Clean My Wounds

7. Da Rude-Sandstorm

8. Disturbed-Stricken

9. Dream Theater-Pull Me Under

10. Motorhead-Ace of Spades

11. Modest Mouse-Float On

12. Muse-Unatural Selection

13. Queens of the Stone Age-No One Knows

14. Slayer-Raining Blood

15. System of a Down-Chop Suey!

16. Poison-Talk Dirty to Me

17. Silversun Pickups-Lazy Eye

Sorry, more than top 10 but these are the ones that jump out at me.  Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, and System of a Down are my favorites for running, so there are other songs but I put my best for each band. 

The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials
    wannaberunner

I look my best blurry!

1. Dragonforce-Through the Fire and Flames

2. Black Label Society-Stillborn

3. Iron Maiden-The Trooper

4. Slipknot-Before I Forget

5. Avenged Sevenfold-Beast and the Harlot

6. Corrosion of Conformity-Clean My Wounds

7. Da Rude-Sandstorm

8. Disturbed-Stricken

9. Dream Theater-Pull Me Under

10. Motorhead-Ace of Spades

11. Modest Mouse-Float On

12. Muse-Unatural Selection

13. Queens of the Stone Age-No One Knows

14. Slayer-Raining Blood

15. System of a Down-Chop Suey!

16. Poison-Talk Dirty to Me

17. Silversun Pickups-Lazy Eye

Sorry, more than top 10 but these are the ones that jump out at me.  Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, and System of a Down are my favorites for running, so there are other songs but I put my best for each band. 

You must be about 20? My 20 yo nephew loves most of your choices. I like Well Thought Out Twinkles by Silver Sun Pick Ups and Chop Suey!
      eazy erik

Uh no, I'm 31.  I just like heavy music and most of these bands are from the 90s or older when I was 20...I guess your nephew has good taste in music.

The question was about running music, you would think I was older if you asked about my general tastes as you would find classic rock dominates that list, topped out by the Beatles, Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, Journey, etc, etc...I just like higher tempo and harder rock while I run.

The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials

Country Bone:

1. Ramblin Fever ~ Merle Haggard

2. Folsum Prison Blues ~ Johnny Cash

3. I’ve got a Tiger by the Tail ~ Buck Owens

4. White Lightning ~ George Jones

5. Rough and Rowdy Days ~ Waylon Jennings

6. Heartaches by the Numbers ~ Ray Price

7. My Heart Skips a Beat ~ Dwight Yoakum (originally Buck Owens)

8. Miles and Miles of Texas ~ Asleep at the Wheel

9. Pissin’ in the Wind ~ Jerry Jeff Walker

10. Rural Route ~ Chris Knight Bonus Track

11. Beautiful Day ~ Charlie Robison

These are songs that both make me want to grab a girl and scoot around a dance floor as well as drink some good beer at a bar and when those are not the best options I throw on some shoes and get up the road. I very rarely listen to music while running but these type of songs force me to get out and get some up tempo running under my belt. They are the songs that cause me to just enjoy the day and weather and mood. That is why I threw in the bonus track from Charlie Robison. All of these songs have a good meaning for me and remind me of my youth and sitting on the porch with my pops and his friends listening to life experiences. That is the root of me amidst the complex diverse person I have grown to be.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

1. Rock This Joint- Alanna Myles

2. Paradise City - Guns n  Roses

3. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns n Roses

4. I'm Every Woman - Chaka Khan

5. Midnight Train to Memphis - Kidd Rock

6. Believe It or Not - Joey Scarbury

7. Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall

8. Reelin in the Years - Steely Dan

9. Take the Money and Run - Steve Miller Band

10. Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

These are just a few of the 121 songs I have on my running list.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I generally like heavier music when I'm running.  Only use the mp3 player on the treadmill.  Here's a sampling.  Helmet is great to listen to if you're into heavier stuff because the beat is always good to match...

1) Helmet - Biscuits for Smut

2) Helmet - Renovation

3) Helmet - Harmless (this one makes me speed up the treadmill)

4) Pennywise - Faith & Hope

5) Pennywise - We'll Never Know

6) Megadeth - A Tout Le Monde

7) Pearl Jam - Severed Hand

8) Foo Fighters - Everlong

9) Audioslave - Cochise

10) The Crystal Method - Broken Glass

11) The Crystal Method - Weapons of Mass Distortion

12) The Headstones - Tweeter And The Monkey Man

13) I Mother Earth - Production

14) Queens Of The Stone Age - Regular John

wolfie615

Lately I've been listening to Girltalk's All Day.  72 minutes of pure upbeat music sampling!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I like songs about oobleck.

Nice to see Cocteau Twins...

Hear, hear!

While I never listen to music during a race or a workout, I've listened to a lot of pre-race music, and I changed my ways when I was still a young buck.  I used to listen to the "pump-up" music;  the hard rock, the grungy stuff, and the rap stuff (not the crappy hip-hop on the radio today--I'm talking about the stuff that I wouldn't have wanted the coaches to hear). 

After my freshmen year of XC, I realized that I didn't want to go into a race all jacked up and ready to explode when the gun went off.  So, I turned to something to relax me:  the Cocteau Twins.  Back then, I was a poor college student and all I had was a tape player with Milk and Kisses and Four Calendar Cafe on a two-sided tape.  I would listen to that over and over and over again.  (My tape player was so advanced at that time that it had a continuous play function, so I never had to turn it over. Roll eyes)  In those few years at college, cd players had become all the rage, but I never gave up my little tape player until I was done running there. 

I would spend hours on the bus listening to that music while on the way to our meets.  And after we arrived, I would listen to it for a while, go on a warmup.  After the warmup, I would listen to their soothing sounds again while I was stretching and waiting for "go" time.

I don't think anyone had any idea what I was listening to at the time.  It's probably not typical pre-race music.  But I won't forget the time I was running the steeplechase at our National meet.  I was so nervous that, during the warmup, my legs felt like jelly.  I could barely get my legs to move and hold me up.  I don't know how I made through those few miles--and I'll bet I was running 8 minute pace.  When I got back to our corral area and slipped on those headphones and pressed play, I was transported to another place:  a happy place, a calm place, a place of routine.  It was a place where nervousness was just part of the equation--expected and welcomed.

I've made the leap in technology to mp.3s now (that's still "in", right?), but those songs I listen to will never change. 

When I go out for a run in the fall and white clouds dot the sunny, blue sky, the leaves are all different colors, and  there's a little crisp quality to the air, I know it's a cross country day.  I hear those songs in my mind, and I feel that little knot in my stomach until I tell myself, "It's just an easy run today; enjoy it".

When I go out for a run in the spring and white clouds dot the sunny, blue sky, the  sweet smell of blooming crabapple trees travels up to my nose, and the sun warms my face, I know it's a track day.  I hear those songs in my mind, and I feel that little knot in my stomach until I tell myself, "It's just an easy run today; enjoy it."

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Julia1971

Bumping to share some of the new purchases that got me through this training cycle:

Relatively New:

Blow - Ke$ha

Dynamite - Taio Cruz

Good Life - OneRepublic

Rolling in the Deep - Adele

Stereo Hearts - Gym Class Heroes

Tik Tok - Ke$ha

We Are Young - Fun

Rediscovered:

Everything Counts - Depeche Mode

The Heart of the Matter - India.Arie

Hips Don't Lie - Shakira

One Moment in Time - Whitney Houston

Tiefsa

I can't play these songs on an easy run, because once this list plays, I get after it every time.

Rage Against the Machine - Renegades of Funk

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Nine Inch Nails - Only

Public Enemy - Fight The Power

Foster The People - Color on the Walls (Don't Stop)

Cold War Kids - Hang Me Out To Dry

Beastie Boys - Shake Your Rump

Audioslave - Show Me How To Live

Soul Coughing - Super Bon Bon

Wu Tang Clan - C. R. E. A. M.

1) Motley Crue - Kickstart my heart

2) Whitesnake - Here I go again

3) Guns 'N Roses - Sweet Child O Mine

4) Sweet - Fox on the Run

5) Angels and Airwaves - too many to list

6) All American Rejects - Move Along

7) Coldplay - Clocks

8) Counting Crows - Mrs. Potters Lullaby

9) Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly

10) My Chemical Romance - The Sharpest Lives

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Soul Coughing - Super Bon Bon

Hey! That's my own personal "theme" song...(my last name is pronounced "bawn"). Pretty obscure there, didn't think anyone else even owned a soul coughing album.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            HermosaBoy

Hear, hear!

While I never listen to music during a race or a workout, I've listened to a lot of pre-race music, and I changed my ways when I was still a young buck.  I used to listen to the "pump-up" music;  the hard rock, the grungy stuff, and the rap stuff (not the crappy hip-hop on the radio today--I'm talking about the stuff that I wouldn't have wanted the coaches to hear). 

After my freshmen year of XC, I realized that I didn't want to go into a race all jacked up and ready to explode when the gun went off.  So, I turned to something to relax me:  the Cocteau Twins.  Back then, I was a poor college student and all I had was a tape player with Milk and Kisses and Four Calendar Cafe on a two-sided tape.  I would listen to that over and over and over again.  (My tape player was so advanced at that time that it had a continuous play function, so I never had to turn it over. Roll eyes)  In those few years at college, cd players had become all the rage, but I never gave up my little tape player until I was done running there. 

I would spend hours on the bus listening to that music while on the way to our meets.  And after we arrived, I would listen to it for a while, go on a warmup.  After the warmup, I would listen to their soothing sounds again while I was stretching and waiting for "go" time.

I don't think anyone had any idea what I was listening to at the time.  It's probably not typical pre-race music.  But I won't forget the time I was running the steeplechase at our National meet.  I was so nervous that, during the warmup, my legs felt like jelly.  I could barely get my legs to move and hold me up.  I don't know how I made through those few miles--and I'll bet I was running 8 minute pace.  When I got back to our corral area and slipped on those headphones and pressed play, I was transported to another place:  a happy place, a calm place, a place of routine.  It was a place where nervousness was just part of the equation--expected and welcomed.

I've made the leap in technology to mp.3s now (that's still "in", right?), but those songs I listen to will never change. 

When I go out for a run in the fall and white clouds dot the sunny, blue sky, the leaves are all different colors, and  there's a little crisp quality to the air, I know it's a cross country day.  I hear those songs in my mind, and I feel that little knot in my stomach until I tell myself, "It's just an easy run today; enjoy it".

When I go out for a run in the spring and white clouds dot the sunny, blue sky, the  sweet smell of blooming crabapple trees travels up to my nose, and the sun warms my face, I know it's a track day.  I hear those songs in my mind, and I feel that little knot in my stomach until I tell myself, "It's just an easy run today; enjoy it."

I think this is a GREAT summary of why to listen to music as preparation!!!

Thanks for the reminder...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hey! That's my own personal "theme" song...(my last name is pronounced "bawn"). Pretty obscure there, didn't think anyone else even owned a soul coughing album.

Heh, I used to hang a bit with Mike's brother Kevin.  His mom is Mrs. Cleaver -- you should have heard her talk about SC's video on MTV.  She knew play-times and other stats only a groupie would know.  It was pretty hilarious.

Though, for my money: "True Dreams of Wichita" is the real deal.  Or just about anything on Ruby Vroom.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do