Good Books & Magazines (Read 270 times)

I Run To Eat :)

I've discovered that taking time out to read helps me relax and recuperate from running sessions.

What are some good magazines and books (or websites) that people read in their time away from running ?

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Hello - I have a good-old-fashioned paper subscription to "The Wall Street Journal" and really enjoy reading it. There's a good news-synopsis sidebar on Page 1, the writing/analysis seems pretty intelligent to me, and about once-twice/week there are some really funny articles about, say, Canada's Raging Moose Problem (no disrespect to my neighbors to the north) or The World's Largest Nail (https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-tire-turns-50-but-big-nail-isnt-invited-to-party-1431989059).

You may have to take the political section with a grain or salt, depending on your views.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I am currently reading the Aubrey-Maturin  series by Patrick O'Brian. The movie "Master and Commander at the Edge of the World" was based on these books. They are a series of 20 historical novels concerning English Captain Jack Aubrey and his ship's surgeon and friend Stephen Maturin. It takes place in the early 1800's when England warred with France and America on the open seas. It is similar to the Horatio Hornblower series, which I have also read, but more authentic and better written in my opinion. I am up to the sixth book already and I can read each whole book in a few days time. I also purchased "A Sea of Words", a lexicon and companion to the series. Aubrey and Maturin will entertain themselves playing classical pieces on their violin and cello and I have ordered 3 CDs of music that is based on what is mentioned in the books. There was a unfinished 21st novel that I also purchased. I got the 20 novel series  used on E bay for about $65 including shipping. Usually I read Science Fiction, but note the "Star Trek" was said to be partly based on the Hornblower series and fans of "Star Trek the Next Generation" might remember an episode where Captain Picard and crew were on a man-of-war sailing ship created in the holodeck.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr is a fantastic book. I read every night and couldn't put this book down.

Joann Y

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr is a fantastic book. I read every night and couldn't put this book down.

Those Sunday mornings with the lady-friend a thing of the past?

Sometimes things just kind of fizzle out. It's okay though, I still have my climbing partner, spend more time with him anyway.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How do people find time to read?

I spend about 2 hours a day commuting by train and bus and an hour at lunch.  I finish a book a week.

How do people find time to read?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I spend about 2 hours a day commuting by train and bus and an hour at lunch.  I finish a book a week.

Almost jealous, but...nah.

Same, but by car. Audible.

These days:

Hercule Poirot

Sherlock Holmes

Books by and about Stoic philosophers (Jeff!)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Thanks. Been meaning to pick this one up.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The Oregon trail By Rinker Buck is another great read.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

I just read "My Year of Running Dangerously" by Tom Foreman. Very good, and a quick read. Also good:

"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami

"Incendiary" by Michael Cannell

I just read "My Year of Running Dangerously" by Tom Foreman. Very good, and a quick read. Also good:

"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami

I was in a bookstore a few weeks ago (yes an actual brick-and-mortar store, with actual dead-tree books), and gravitated to the section on running books. I picked up a few and started leafing through them, but quickly realized I have zero interest in reading about running. Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I decided I have a large enough percentage of my waking hours dedicated to running (including this place), and would rather read about almost anything else in my remaining spare time.

Dave

onemile

I was in a bookstore a few weeks ago (yes an actual brick-and-mortar store, with actual dead-tree books), and gravitated to the section on running books. I picked up a few and started leafing through them, but quickly realized I have zero interest in reading about running. Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I decided I have a large enough percentage of my waking hours dedicated to running (including this place), and would rather read about almost anything else in my remaining spare time.

Totally agree