Good Books & Magazines (Read 270 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Also he's shorter than you might think. 

Met him after the NYC Marathon, in Penn Station.  I'd watched his movie, and read his first book.  Had trouble fitting the legend into that small frame.  He clearly goes out of his way to be a nice guy.  Which is more than most of us can say.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

mikejonson7501

wow, good post, I need good books too, thanks for it Big grin

Do your best to reach your goals )))

Hoban-Jay

How do people find time to read?

If you want to do something...you will find away to fit it in to your life...whether it be reading, or running...or gardening or anything else.

I look out for them.  Thanks!

Psychovertical...Great book, manfromnantucket.  Reading it was a vicarious experience.  I ordered a used copy online for pennies and ended up with one that looks like it was signed by the author.  Pretty cool.  I learned more about big wall climbing than I ever thought I would.   20 years ago this would have prompted me to start climbing mountains.  Don't let your adventure junkie teenagers get their hands on it.  LOL.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

You have a copy of Psycho Vertical signed by Andy Kirkpatrick?!!!! THATS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!  I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

I just finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz and it's just great. It's written from multiple points of view, and from multiple time periods, and the prose has this beautiful and authentic poetic feel to it. I might read it again.

Loved it.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I love reading about running.  I have about 30 or so running books on the shelf at home.  I just finished the Boston Marathon book.  I didn't read it straight through because it is basically 120 years of race reports.  I liked seeing the older runners from our area with their names in the results from when they were young and fast.

Odds are that you've read Duel in the Sun. If you haven't, I think you'd enjoy it.

Edward Myers

No reason provided

I also recommend Haldor Laxness's Independent P

My favorite book when I was running a lot in my 20s was Sometimes a Great Notion. Not really a runner's book, but it is a book about crazy, full-blooded, hard-working American people. I think that Hank Stamper would have voted for Trump.

I think Hank Stamper would have loaded up his rifle and headed for the Whitehouse.

[accidental post]

yomonk1

I've been listening to audible while I run. Very relaxing and helps keep you focused. I've been listening to The Operator- by Robert J O'Neil. He's the guy that put 3 bullets in Osama Bin Laden's head. Great inspirational about Seal team development and focus. Helps to keep you motivated and your eyes on the prize.

Kalsarikännit

I know this is a book thread, but I'm really looking forward to the Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary airing this fall.

Threadjack.

Late notice (sorry), the second episode just aired tonight.  This has been as excellent as you would expect from Ken Burns.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Old Coyote

Poe. All of his poems and stories, and a selection of critical essays.

*shrug*

Threadjack.

Late notice (sorry), the second episode just aired tonight.  This has been as excellent as you would expect from Ken Burns.

Whaddya mean late notice? They were told about it 3 months ago! I forgot I posted that. But as you know I did not forget about the series. Gripping stuff.

Dave

AlexThaimor

I am currently reading the Aubrey-Maturin  series by Patrick O'Brian. The movie "Master and Commander at the Edge of the World" was based on these books. They are a series of 20 historical novels concerning English Captain Jack Aubrey and his ship's surgeon and friend Stephen Maturin. It takes place in the early 1800's when England warred with France and America on the open seas. It is similar to the Horatio Hornblower series, which I have also read, but more authentic and better written in my opinion. I am up to the sixth book already and I can read each whole book in a few days time. I also purchased "A Sea of Words", a lexicon and companion to the series. Aubrey and Maturin will entertain themselves playing classical pieces on their violin and cello and I have ordered 3 CDs of music that is based on what is mentioned in the books. There was a unfinished 21st novel that I also purchased. I got the 20 novel series  used on E bay for about $65 including shipping. Usually I read Science Fiction, but note the "Star Trek" was said to be partly based on the Hornblower series and fans of "Star Trek the Next Generation" might remember an episode where Captain Picard and crew were on a man-of-war sailing ship created in the holodeck.

Thank you for the information.I am very much interested in Reading