Flying Pig Marathon (Read 573 times)

Has anyone run this race? I'm running it this year for the first time, and was just looking for some feedback. I've heard it's a great course and well organized. Also, any suggestions on where to stay and the best vantage points for spectators would be great. My wife is accompanying me on this one, and I would like her to see me more than just at the end of the marathon.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Loads of info on Flying Pig. Do a search for "Flying Pig" in the search box (top right of screen). Also, check this: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/6ca0a74e96db4ac8b9f48829a8f44682
        I may do the half marathon this year as a glorified long run. Never done it before though but I've heard good things.
          Done it twice, and all being well will be over again this year to run the Marathon. Excellent run marathon, organization is superb, the courses are interesting, challenging but not hard, and the people are great. thoroughly recommend it. Liam
            Everything surrounding the marathon had exceptional organization. I would say it is one of my all time favorites. Even though it was raining for most of the race the course was still packed with spectators supporting the race. The worst of the hills, if I remember correctly are in miles 7-11 (??). Also around mile 21 or so you run along part of a high way before coming back in to crowds but it's no big deal.
            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
            Wingz

Professional Noob

There's also a Flying Pig marathon group here. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks to everyone for your feedback I've joined the Flying Pig forum and look forward to talking with many of you there.
                  It's a great race - the hills are overrated in my opinion, train on hills and you'll be fine. The second half is much faster - if you race smart and take it easy between 5 and 8, you can really kill it the second half.
                  pokey52

Go Grammy and I are headed out there this year. It will be our first time at this race were looking forward to it. Our training is going ok so far but New England weather makes it tough to get out on the roads in the morning. 14 degrees when we hit the pavement at 5:00 this morning. Can't wait for spring.
                    pokey52

opps! posted twice.
                        Everything surrounding the marathon had exceptional organization. I would say it is one of my all time favorites.
                        This all sounds great, and it's got the best name ever. Might have to think about this one next year...

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

3:30AM - Leadville, CO

Ran it in 2005 and 2006. PacerChris is right. If you take it "easier" in the first half you can really go in the 2nd. I did both years and ran negative splits both times. Even ran with Chris and his 3:10/pace group for a spell. By the way, if you are looking for a 3:10 I would highly recommend PacerChris. Wink