Too Much Mileage (Read 2475 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Speedwork is an extremely vague term.

I prefer "fastwork"

Feeling the growl again

I prefer "fastwork"

The definition of fast seems equally as vague.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I look my best blurry!

All true. I have no regrets though. The accomplishment definitely got more attention from my friends and family than all my other races combined but I got the moat satisfaction from my 5K PR. I am afraid to race some of the local races I would love to participate in over the next few months. I run too hard in races. Recover stinks. And undoubtedly the Diamond will shine!

The marathon is the glory event of today's rec runner.  Few know nor care what a 17:00 5K is, but "finishing" a marathon is a major accomplishment so it's natural for everyone to try and jump to that quickly (usually far too quickly).

Running marathons sucks.  You have to give up a lot of racing at shorter distances to do it right even if the training you're doing may help your shorter races.  Truthfully my favorite race distance is in the neighborhood of 10 miles to a half marathon.

In the end though, it's an individual decision.  For some people, like Diamond J, the training is certainly there to support it.  He'll have far, far more miles in his legs than the average marathoner today.  

Cool Jump Suit

The definition of fast seems equally as vague.

Perhaps "Personal Speedwork or Personal Fastwork"??

So bittersweet,
          This tragedy
          Won't ask for absolution;
          This melody,
          Inside of me,
          Still searches for solution.
          A twist of faith,
          A change of heart
          Cures my infatuation.
          A broken heart, 
          Provides the spark
          For my determination.

The shirtless wonder

I do half-fast speedwork.

I look my best blurry!

Nice!
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I try to alternate that with half-speed fastwork, for the benefits of variety (aka muscle confusion).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MrH

In the end though, it's an individual decision.  For some people, like Diamond J, the training is certainly there to support it.  He'll have far, far more miles in his legs than the average marathoner today.  

Absolutely it's down to what the individual wants.

It's not directly related to the original questions about too much mileage, but one argument against going up to the marathon so soon is that the toughness and confidence to "go to the wall" in something as demanding as the marathon may be best developed in shorter distances.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

servingthealiens

I just wanna know how you afford to replace your shoes every couple months (that's with the assumption that you rotate at least 2 pairs).

Confused

I just wanna know how you afford to replace your shoes every couple months (that's with the assumption that you rotate at least 2 pairs).

Confused

I plan on going through 10 pairs of shoes a year at about $60 each on average.  I bet a lot of RA'ers spend more than that a year on booze alone...

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Prince of Fatness

I bet a lot of RA'ers spend more than that a year on booze alone...

I throw away my receipts so I can't be sure.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I plan on going through 10 pairs of shoes a year at about $60 each on average.  I bet a lot of RA'ers spend more than that a year on booze alone...

+1 on that (the booze part).

I put 700 miles on per pair...I worked that out as the max practical while pushing them to as much as 1000+ as a poor grad student.  I've got a pair at around 760 and going strong, on the treadmill only.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

Ha! A lot of booze talk her for us fitness freaks! Love it! Well, I run 25 miles a week and buy shoes every 3 months. I convince myself my body feels more sore after 250 miles on a shoe so I end up rotating between 4 pairs.  I have 2 speed shoes for races. I also have 2 pair that I have not opened yet. I am looking to buy the new Brooks Ghost 3 soon to add to my rotation. Unfortunately, I can afford it but it doesn't make it right.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

It all depends on what you can handle. It took me about two years to go from my first 70 mile week to my first 100 mile week, then another year until I was able to do 100 mpw consistently, that being said in the last 15 months of the most high mileage I have ever done I have only done about 20 100+ weeks. 

What I have figured out, or at least what works for me, is that I can run a whole bunch up to the 120s and maintain all the other stuff in my life, but it takes working up to it over months and years. It also depends on how I feel. Despite averaging double digit mileage when I am in shape, I have days off and low mileage days which inevitably destroy my weekly mileage. On the other hand, running that much is a sacrifice and something else has to give, your tv time or time with non-runners, or your sleep. I feel that doing as much as I can, while maintaining a life balance that doesn't alienate everyone else is where I want to be. I mean 15 hours of actual running gets like 120 miles in a week and really thats only about two hours a day. It's really not out of reach.

I have also learned that getting 1XX in my log is a huge mental boost. I feel like I am training well. Compared to running 80 miles a week with more quality and an hour of core work per week I am probably not training as well, but I feel good about my training where as a measly 80 miles per week is kind of like a recovery week or a waste of good training, at least that is part of how I see it in my head. 

In the end remember the goal is to race really fast. The means to get there, while they make the experience more valuable, are not as specific as the goal itself. I mean that if you get injured for six months because of incorrect training, such as more mileage than you can handle, you would have been better off chugging through 70s and 80s for six months. For an extreme example, read some of Anton Krupicka's blog posts at running times or his blogspot blog. 

That is funny as I was just thinking about that yesterday during my run.  I need to buy a couple pairs of new shoes.  When I told my wife her response was "Didn't you just get a pair for Christmas!".  She is right of course but when you run 3000 plus miles you need 10+ shoes a year.  I need to alternate my shoes.  Sadly she is a runner as well and understands my plight but is a little surprised at the number of shoes I am going through. 

I went to Dicks Sporting Goods to get some new Nike Air Pegasus but they had them for 79.98 and even with a $10 coupon it makes them 69.98 and I just couldn't bring myself to buy them for that much.  Dang it.  I need some more shoes. 

As far as this topic concerns I've been increasing the mileage but have not gotten in the speedwork I would like.  I'm not sure my legs ever feel good anymore.  The last time they felt fresh was my last Marathon.  I don't see me getting much speed work in but lots of miles and lots of hills.  Should be interesting to see where that gets me for my spring marathon. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                                • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                                • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon