Too Much Mileage (Read 2475 times)

Feeling the growl again

I know some of you dont buy into the whole "Periodization" thing but I think there is something to be said for building each system on top of the other for a synergistic effect. Right now I am in a phase where I don't do any anaerobic work, but I am definitely getting quality in. I am addressing the most glaring weakness I had in my training last year - not getting enough of those middle miles (running at a pace between tempo and marathon pace). My weakness is in the longer races and I think running a lot of bell curve runs, long tempo intervals, and long tempo runs will help fix this. I will add a month of hills in March, then VO2 max in April and faster pace Intervals in May.

I would say it accurate that I have not found much use in strict periodization, but I certainly shift the emphasis of training significantly through most of the classical periodization phases.

Most distance runner intervals, if they are not being run too fast, are not really anaerobic.  However I do limit intervals primarily to abour 4 months out of the year...a couple months in each of two buildups typically.

Those long "tempos" and fast-finish long runs can make you tough. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I would say it accurate that I have not found much use in strict periodization, but I certainly shift the emphasis of training significantly through most of the classical periodization phases.

Diamond J, this is exactly where Brad Hudson diverges from Lydiard.  I know you're Lydiard fan. You might want to check out Running Faster by Brad Hudson, since you seem to be open to new ideas.   

MTA

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

mikeymike

I know some of you dont buy into the whole "Periodization" thing but I think there is something to be said for building each system on top of the other for a synergistic effect. Right now I am in a phase where I don't do any anaerobic work, but I am definitely getting quality in. I am addressing the most glaring weakness I had in my training last year - not getting enough of those middle miles (running at a pace between tempo and marathon pace). My weakness is in the longer races and I think running a lot of bell curve runs, long tempo intervals, and long tempo runs will help fix this. I will add a month of hills in March, then VO2 max in April and faster pace Intervals in May.

I would say I'm more like spaniel (and most semi-serious road racers I know by the way) in that I don't practice strict periodization but I do shift the emphasis based on the calendar and my racing goals.

The most important thing to keep in mind about the various energy systems is that they don't exist--at least not as separate and distinct entities that can be isolated and trained one at a time.  The only system that really matters is your running system.

A lot of this comes down to semantics and how much you want to geek out about running.  There's nothing wrong with doing so just so long as your realize that's not what matters.  Your training is solid either way, and that's what matters.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Diamond J, this is exactly where Brad Hudson diverges from Lydiard.  I know you're Lydiard fan. You might want to check out Running Faster by Brad Hudson, since you seem to be open to new ideas.   

MTA

It's been on my list for a long time.  Sadly I've read 2.5 books in the past year.  I should check if it's on Kindle, I can at least have it handy then.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

The most important thing to keep in mind about the various energy systems is that they don't exist--at least not as separate and distinct entities that can be isolated and trained one at a time.  The only system that really matters is your running system.

Sigh.  It really is that simple and that complicated at the same time.  Now if only our "friend" Richard got this.

What I believe Lydiard hit on that has stood the test of time is not so much that training has to be strictly periodized, but that certain types of adaptations last longer than others, which creates a rational way to structure training.  He may not have been looking at it this way but since it seems he developed his method through experience I think the two things converged.  An enlarged left ventricle and cardiac muscle, muscles, and muscle capillary density take a long time to build but also degrade slowly once training them has stopped.  Some things, like mitochondrial density, are more intermediate in duration.  Finally others, like enzyme levels, are relatively short in duration.  Lists not all-inclusive Wink

However, there is overlap in what type of running activity trains what, so you can't come remotely close to isolating one thing.

A good base builds cardiac conditioning and output, muscular strength, musculoskeletal resilience, and capillary density.  These things are not going to suddenly go away when you switch emphasis to something else because a) they are relatively long-lasting, and b) whatever else you are doing is likely still training them to some degree.  Then hills build muscular strength and tempo/aerobic work builds mitochondrial density.  Finally, hard intervals put the cherry on top by priming enzyme levels, something that you can acheive quickly (hence the quick payback in fitness from intervals) but will go away about as quickly once you stop working them.  Obviously this picture is greatly simplified but I think it really helps illustrate how a periodized program is supposed to work....and why a lot of us don't think strict periodization is necessary.

Not to mention that we are all an experiment of one, and I tried it.  It did not work so well for me.

Seanv2

This is some informative shit right here.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Ahh by bored I mean I am so tired of the stinking cold it is wearing me out.  You guys are right.  I know I can do the mileage thing and I am already ahead of the schedule I made for myself distnace wise.  I need to keep to the schedule I made and add in that speed work.  I have a half in late Feb and I should be working towards that goal.  I just know I tried to take it easy for one week and that was the worst I have felt in a long time.  So it pissed me off and two 70 mile weeks followed that we supposed to be in the 50's.  I think that is out of my system now. 

Any suggested treadmill speedwork? 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                L Train

Any suggested treadmill speedwork? 

I don't know if it's ideal, but yesterday I did 8 x .5 miles with 90 seconds rest.  It's simple, which is important for me on a TM because otrherwise I can't keep track of my intervals (no Garmin).

What a great thread. Thanks!---quite affirming.

Purdey

Self anointed title

True, but my question is why jump to the marathon in your second year of training and racing? Everyone recommends folks to wait all the time, to develop speed first. Maybe that's what these other advisers have in mind. 

Why not train for the 5k for 2 or 3 years, then take on the marathon?

Maybe they don't like running shorter distances? After all - we run because we like it right? Why start with the 5k Jeff? Wouldn't it be better to start with some 800m/1500m work - then move up to the 5k, that would make a better 5k runner. Only then should they move up to the 10k right? And then to the 1/2M right? Yawn.

Scout7

Maybe they don't like running shorter distances? After all - we run because we like it right? Why start with the 5k Jeff? Wouldn't it be better to start with some 800m/1500m work - then move up to the 5k, that would make a better 5k runner. Only then should they move up to the 10k right? And then to the 1/2M right? Yawn.

One of the primary reasons not to jump into the marathon right away is that your body takes time to develop.  Your bones and muscles and ligaments take far longer to strengthen than your cardiovascular system does.  Jumping into marathon training can lead to injury far quicker than anything else, for the simple reason that the body is being subjected to too much load at a time.  I agree with Jeff that taking things in a stepped approach is probably safer and leads to better improvement later on.  I think there's a reason why great runners started out in HS running the 5k and don't move on to longer distances until after college.

I agree that it's about goals.  And for most people, they have accepted that they will never be "fast", so they go longer in an eternal quest to be "good" at something.  I've seen it many times.  "I'm not that fast, but I can run forever, so I'll do marathons."  For some people, that's fine.  But that ends up limiting you.  You get comfortable with distance, and never learn how to push the effort.  This is a similar trap as the "go faster all the time" one.  Neither are correct.

Like Mikey and spaniel said, it's one big system, with lots of sub-systems that work together.  The hardest part is to find the points of leverage within your own system to see what gives you the biggest bang for the buck.  When you are new, it's easy; everything provides improvement.  Initially, you have to separate things up more.  Develop more miles, build up the body.  Then bring in the hard stuff later.  But as you develop, the system adapts to what you're doing, and you have to re-evaluate your training, look for new leverage to get better.  It ends up being a combination of stuff, keeping those harder workouts for longer periods.

And I'm sure Nobby will chime in at some point, but I want to point out that even in the Lydiard training, he kept harder workouts even in the base phase.  If you look at the effort levels, he has 3/4 effort runs once or twice a week.  So he had a more integrated approach than most people give him credit for.

I've heard Purdey's argument recently from another person who I have run with (who only likes the marathon distance and relays), but I think the 5K through Half marathons all fall in a single category for me, and the shorter races 800-mile in another and Marathon a category by itself and Ultras yet a different animal.  

The reason being the training required for each of my categories is different in my mind.  Sure most could race better at the shorter races off of training for a marathon, but they don't really need to, and surely I can't run a marathon training for the 5K-HM stuff.  The shorter races and Ultras I think require a different mind set.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Personally I find training for a 5k more taxing on my body than training for an ultra. Just goes to show that we are all an experiment of one... blah blah blah and that asking for personalised training advice on the internets is dumb.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Scout - I kind of see what you are saying. For me it is not about going longer to be "good" at something. It is about going longer because that is what I enjoy. And as for "never learning how to push the effort"? Come and see the effort on my face at the end of a 12hr track ultra.

mikeymike

Yes, I find training for marathons much easier on the body than training for 5k's and such.  It's racing marathons that's the real bitch.

Runners run