National Marathon & Half - March 26th in DC. Anyone else going. (Read 1815 times)

I'm running the half and had plans all set until today's announcement that the Metro is going to open at 6am instead of 5am.

I'm coming in from the West (Northern VA) and the Metro from West Falls Church leaving at 5:15 would have got me in at 6am, an hour before the race starts.

Now, I don't see that I have much of an option other than to get up at the crack of sparrow farts and drive on in early enough to beet the traffic.

Anyone familar with the race who can offer alternatives? What's parking like?

Any other RAers going to be there?

Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Best Present Ever

Two and three years ago, it was super duper easy -- tons of parking, took me no time at all to drive in from Falls Church (I was coming from my mom's house near the Whole Foods on Route 7).  Last year, they did something funky and closed many of the parking lots at RFK -- no idea why. It created HUGE traffic tie ups.  Thank goodness my friend who was not  running the race was driving.  She eventually let me and a third friend out and we walked to the start.  She ended up finding street parking blocks away.  There was no traffic at all coming in from Virginia and going through DC, so if you leave plenty early, you should be fine.  I hope they will have learned from last years screw up and not do whatever they did. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes, they made a big mess out of the parking last year.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

ymmv

Yes, they made a big mess out of the parking last year.

I think that one of the big lots on the south side of the stadium was all torn up with construction and storage of stuff last year when I ran it. I took the metro from New Carrollton. Easy.

I'm thinking about  going this year to accompany a friend who is running the marathon, I would meet her near the stadium (half way point) and just run the second half with her. That second half is a lonely 13 miles.

That kind of sucks; I was planning on metro-ing in this year, partly because of how bad it was last year (though the two years before that were no problem).  I guess I will just drive in early again.  Does anyone know an approximate number of people they expect this year?

Julia1971

I'll be interested to see if additional information comes out about this "joint decision".  From past snafus (I'm looking at you Stewart /Colbert for making getting to and from the Marine Corps expo a nightmare last year), I was under the impression that Metro will open early/run extra trains so long as the event organizers pay for it.  And, that they will sometimes run extra trains even if the event organizers are cheap skates.  (Still looking at you Stewart/Colbert).

I may bet on them running extra trains and plan on arriving 15-30 mins before the start.  But, I may see if they're opening up the Armory again this year and take a cab so that I arrive around that time.

Julia1971

Does anyone know an approximate number of people they expect this year?

I don't but I'm guessing they're behind on registrations based on the fact that the half still hasn't filled up.  I feel like I usually hear some would be marathoner griping about how they wanted to switch to the half but couldn't because it was full.  Not this year.

ETA: Their virtual roster shows 11,213 registered for the half and 3,841 for the full as of 3/7.  I'm not even going to look at that relay thing.

I'll be there... was planning on taking Metro, but now will have to drive..

I'm coming from Frederick

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm coming.  Looks like my metro leaves at 6:15 and arrives at RFK at 6:43 for a 7:00 start.  Yikes!  Sure hope they change their minds about not opening the Metro at 5a.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Tramps

Two and three years ago, it was super duper easy -- tons of parking, took me no time at all to drive in from Falls Church (I was coming from my mom's house near the Whole Foods on Route 7).  Last year, they did something funky and closed many of the parking lots at RFK -- no idea why. It created HUGE traffic tie ups.  Thank goodness my friend who was not  running the race was driving.  She eventually let me and a third friend out and we walked to the start. 

+1

Last year, because of an injury, my wife drove and dropped me off amidst the chaos.  This year we're both doing the full, so we'll have to get there good and early.  Driving in from Central Virginia.

I can't seem to find the parking maps on the site this year.  Confused

ETA:  I just looked at the final map and realized they've tweaked the course again, especially in the first few miles.  Oddly, the half marathoners won't be getting what I think is the best view of the course:  running west on E. Capitol straight towards the Capitol.  Now, that stretch is used only on the second loop through the area for the full.  On the first pass, the route now goes up past Union Station, instead of the Capitol.  I'm happy to have a different route but I imagine folks in the 1/2 who care about the scenery might be a little disappointed. 

Be safe. Be kind.

+1

Last year, because of an injury, my wife drove and dropped me off amidst the chaos.  This year we're both doing the full, so we'll have to get there good and early.  Driving in from Central Virginia.

I can't seem to find the parking maps on the site this year.  Confused

ETA:  I just looked at the final map and realized they've tweaked the course again, especially in the first few miles.  Oddly, the half marathoners won't be getting what I think is the best view of the course:  running west on E. Capitol straight towards the Capitol.  Now, that stretch is used only on the second loop through the area for the full.  On the first pass, the route now goes up past Union Station, instead of the Capitol.  I'm happy to have a different route but I imagine folks in the 1/2 who care about the scenery might be a little disappointed. 

Where did you see that map?  The one I see on the official website looks like it is the same as last year, and does go out east capital st. the first few miles.  Is there a different map somewhere?

Where did you see that map?  The one I see on the official website looks like it is the same as last year, and does go out east capital st. the first few miles.  Is there a different map somewhere?

On their Facebook page

2017 Goals

On their Facebook page

Thanks.  I see it on the official site now too, but only if you click the link on the front page.  If you go through the top menu, it still shows the one from last year.

Julia1971

If there are awards for cartography, whoever did this map should win one.

I just hope I don't run out of money after Mile 7.

I just hope I don't run out of money after Mile 7.

LOL!

2017 Goals