Training (Read 153 times)

Linda

My husband is training for a 5K in a couple of months.  He doesn't do speedwork at all, but he would like to start.  There happens to be a 5K near our house this wekend.  Should he run the race or do some work on the track?  He wants to start doing some speedwaork once a week.  I could probabaly find him several races between now and his goal race.  Should he stick to the track or race on the weekend when a race is available?

Thanks,

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

#artbydmcbride

both?  

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

I believe in the validity of the saying "the best training for racing, is racing".  So I vote he should do the race, with a very slow easy warm-up before, and then if he feels up to it do some very easy miles afterwards. Has he run a 5k before? This race would be a good gauge of his current fitness level.

Retired &  Loving It

Sultan of slug

+1 to both. Racing is great, and I don't do enough of it. It's fun and it's tough mentally.

The good thing about speed work, though, is that you can spend more time at race pace or faster than you would in a race. A staple of my current training has been 5 x 1200m at 3k-5k race pace, with 3-4 minute recovery jogs between intervals. So I get in 6000m at faster-than-5k pace and feel better the next day than if I had raced.

run the race, so he knows what his current fitness is. First, it's a starting point; second it's a fitness benchmark.  He can use the race to determine what his correct training paces should be for all training, be it speed work, tempo, long runs, easy days.

Linda

Thanks.  The race didn't have race day registration, so the question ended up being irrelevant. I'm going to sign him up for two in April.  His goal race is in May.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

hog4life

I would also start some informal speed work. 400 repeats are a good one to start with. Or maybe do fartleks, use the ole telephone pole to telephone pole distance. Run faster from one pole to the next, then recover to the next pole(or mailbox).

If you rely on races for speed work, you're missing out, unless you race every week.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

run the race, so he knows what his current fitness is. First, it's a starting point; second it's a fitness benchmark.  He can use the race to determine what his correct training paces should be for all training, be it speed work, tempo, long runs, easy days.

+1

I find it takes about 6 weeks to get any benefit from speed work. I can count  on one hand the number of times I have done speed work in 25 years.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

bap

Example

Week 1 - 4 to 6 x 400m repeats @ 5 seconds faster than target pace, 200m walked recoveries

Week 2 - 3 to  4 x 800m repeats @ target 5K pace with 90 second rest

Week 3 - 2 x 1 mile tempo @ target pace + 10-15 seconds, 60 seconds active recoveries

Week 4 - 6 - 8 x 400m repeats @ 10 seconds faster than target pace, 200m walked recoveries

Week 5 - fartlek - random 30s to 2 minute pickups

Week 6 - 5 or 6 x 800m repeats @ target 5K pace with 90 second rest

Week 7 - 8 to 10 45s uphill repeats, jog downhill to recover

Week 8- 3 x  1 mile tempo repeats @ target pace + 10 seconds, 60 seconds active recoveries

3 or 4 days before the race do 5 or 6 400m repeats at target pace

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013