Sun Protective Wide Brimmed Hats? (Read 1148 times)

Why is it sideways?

Maybe we should wear hats like these guys.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, is the recommendation that we slather on a thick, visible layer of 100 SPF sunscreen before we go for a 90 minute run?

No thanks.

A dermatologist would answer that question in the affirmative. Without hesitation.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You do not have to get sunburns to get skin cancer.

Why is it sideways?

A dermatologist would answer that question in the affirmative. Without hesitation.

A dermatologist told my wife that she should wear sunscreen in the winter in Nashville even if the only time she is in the sun is walking from her car to her work place, a distance of 100m, at 7am in the morning.

Recommendations like this seem to me to undermine the credibility of dermatologists.

Why is it sideways?

You do not have to get sunburns to get skin cancer.

I imagine that it is also possible to get skin cancer while wearing sun screen.

Neither of these statements move us toward reasonable recommendations.

Feeling the growl again

I never get burned. Is this dangerous?

Burning is more severe damage than what results in a tan, but yes, it increases your risk of skin cancer.

More than just the cancer risk, I look at the skin (especially faces) of people who deliberately spend too much time "sunbathing".  Leathery, overly wrinkled...aging happens fast enough so I choose to take reasonable steps to still get carded from time to time.  Though I think Ilene's vision of me may be a bit flattering. Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Seriously.  There's a Mexican food chain on the West Coast (Chevy's that gives you a sombrero on your birthday along with a sundae.  Between the people in my family we have 3 or 4 of these things in the house.  Every time I see them I think to myself that I should start wearing one for my lunch-time runs.  Better than any sunscreen but, dayum, I'd look the fool!  I'm just about old enough that I don't care anymore.  Maybe another 6months and I'll be out there in that thing.  Luckily, my lunch-time runs are on a pretty much deserted stretch of bike path.

Feeling the growl again

Actually I do when I mow the lawn.  Cool

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Burning is more severe damage than what results in a tan, but yes, it increases your risk of skin cancer.

More than just the cancer risk, I look at the skin (especially faces) of people who deliberately spend too much time "sunbathing".  Leathery, overly wrinkled...aging happens fast enough so I choose to take reasonable steps to still get carded from time to time.  Though I think Ilene's vision of me may be a bit flattering. Wink

Who the hell wants a baby-face at 70? Wink

Clint Eastwood - a man

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ilp

Most white people don't burn in under 15min of direct sunlight.  But even if 15min were the marker SPF-15 would make it 4hrs until sunburn.  Even if you went skimpy and applied half the recommended amount, you're still safely within 1hr 45mins.  Plenty for all but your Long run -- and who the heck does that in the bright of mid-day?

Just run before the sun comes up -- problem solved . Wink

Actually, sqrt(15) is ~3.9, that's just under an hour. Dramatically less than 4 hrs. And, like another poster mentioned, consider the sweating.

I've got a couple similar to this:

Reni

Those with a "Sun?!? Burn me?!?  Are you Mad?! Pfft!!" outlook should ponder this:

Ay! Carumba!

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Why is it sideways?

Gaunt is beautiful!

p.s. We're all gonna get old and wrinkled. I hope by the time I'm 70, I'm done with giving a flying donut about how I look.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Run in the dark. I'm semi-serious. Anyway, during dawn & dusk runs, Earth's atmosphere is great sunscreen.
                              LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

...and make sure you are wearing "broad spectrum" (UVA+UVB) sunscreen.

Sunscreen also expires.  While many medications/substances are pretty much fine after expiration***, I dunno whether sunscreen is or not, so I've always been cautious.

And I have tropical genes and very brown skin.

*** This past weekend, while running in Dallas, I fell on the pavement and scraped my arm really badly.  My father, being my father, trotted out some mercurochrome. I know, I know.  Half of you are saying "wtf is that".  The other half of you are chuckling.

The expiration date on the bottle?  1983.  29 years ago.  SWEEET.

What happened to mercurochrome?

Chuckle here. I bet that mercury has retained its effectiveness for 29 years and more. Again dating myself, my junior high science teacher educated us about that fun liquid metal by pouring a generous tsp. into our hands to play with. Kids these days are so deprived.