2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

Julia1971

Oh... Thanks for the link - I saw it but for some reason just ignored it Sad Getting old Sad

Smile No worries...  There are quite a few people doing both races.  I think most of us registered for Boston without a clue that this championship thing was an option.  Since then, it's occurred to me that this would be a good opportunity for one of the running-science people to study the effects of running back-to-back marathons using a large group of well-trained runners.  I'd be willing to test some recovery strategies in the 6 days between.

Julia1971

B.A.A. to Offer Refunds for First Time.

Late posting this news...  Is anyone going to take the refund?  I think I'm going to run it.  (I'm trying to get into the 10 consecutive year club.)

Also of note for those looking ahead to the 2021 race, "The September 14 race will serve as a qualifier for the 2021 Boston Marathon. Registration for the 2021 Boston Marathon will take place after Monday, September 14, 2020."

Late posting this news...  Is anyone going to take the refund?  I think I'm going to run it.  (I'm trying to get into the 10 consecutive year club.)

I think you mean you are going to remain registered. My prediction is that no one is going run it, as it will be cancelled. Maybe they would then let anyone still registered to defer to 2021. Who the hell knows.

Dave

delicate flower

I am still planning on running it, assuming it does not get cancelled.  With so many marathons cancelled, it'll be interesting to see what that does to the 2021 BQ times.  I'm thinking I am in pretty good shape with my -1:07 from November.

<3

delicate flower

I think you mean you are going to remain registered. My prediction is that no one is going run it, as it will be cancelled. Maybe they would then let anyone still registered to defer to 2021. Who the hell knows.

BAA knows this is a possibility.  This is included in the e-mail we got:

It is, of course, possible that the September 14 date will not be possible due to COVID-19.  While we are optimistic that the event will be held on September 14 and we are working hard to make that happen, we will continue to monitor the situation and communicate regularly with city and state authorities to assess whether a cancellation will be necessary.  In the event of a cancellation, we will communicate with all then-registered participants on next steps.  

<3

Julia1971

Yes.  Good point.  That's probably the terminology I should have been using along.  I'm registered vs. I'm running.

Julia1971

I am still planning on running it, assuming it does not get cancelled.  With so many marathons cancelled, it'll be interesting to see what that does to the 2021 BQ times.  I'm thinking I am in pretty good shape with my -1:07 from November.

I was wondering this myself because I have not run a BQ since the qualifying window opened.  I'm guessing many runners are in the same boat since so many re-qualify at Boston.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Taking the refund. Even if the race is run, the idea of running in the 2nd weekend in September is not appealing, including your most intense training occurring in July and August. The average temperature is 15 degrees warmer race day too. No thanks.

If Boston 2021 is run, I'm not really sure how they have a field to fill at current BQ times. No idea what they would do to rectify that.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If Boston 2021 is run, I'm not really sure how they have a field to fill at current BQ times. No idea what they would do to rectify that.

Additional charity entries.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Taking the refund. Even if the race is run, the idea of running in the 2nd weekend in September is not appealing, including your most intense training occurring in July and August. The average temperature is 15 degrees warmer race day too. No thanks.

Extend registration period to include marathons run up to the day of the 124th Boston marathon. I already thought about this. 
                      why would they need to rectify anything? They didn’t release COVID-19 or cancel all the marathons across the country. They rescheduled their race while others canceled. What did they do wrong that needs to be set right? Tell all those races across the country to cancel? Cancel 2021?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I agree on charity.

Brew - not rectify in the sense that they did something wrong, but rather rectify in the sense that they've tightened standards but now they won't have enough runners to qualify because nobody in the USA at least ran a spring marathon after mid March, which is prime marathoning time. There is of course all the people who qualified the previous fall after the September date, which probably is over half the field anyway.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I agree on charity.

Brew - not rectify in the sense that they did something wrong, but rather rectify in the sense that they've tightened standards but now they won't have enough runners to qualify because nobody in the USA at least ran a spring marathon after mid March, which is prime marathoning time. There is of course all the people who qualified the previous fall after the September date, which probably is over half the field anyway.

I strongly disagree. I have confidence the application field will be as big, or bigger, than usual.

Big assumptions coming in:

IF COVID 19 stops shutting down marathons scheduled between July and September, or even through CIM, there are races available for runners to participate in and get their times to qualify. NOW...staying in marathon shape to qualify might be harder for some than others. I'm pretty sure you could personally BQ with ease on just a half marathon training plan.

I actually expect the 125th Boston Marathon to have a cutoff similar to 2020 and shock the running world when a BQ still isn't good enough for getting into the race. People probably think COVID-19 is going to kill the application pool so a BQ-1 will get them in. I'm expecting a BQ-3 honestly. Simply because it's the 125th and multiples of 5 strike some kind of magical feeling in people like anniversaries. The 9th isn't much of a big deal and neither is the 11th. 10th anniversary? here is a chip. Thanks for working here all these years...what's your name again?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

delicate flower

PATRIOT'S DAY WEATHER:

Chance of morning rain, cloudy, high of 55, wind out of the west 15-18 mph

rofl

<3

Resident Historian

PATRIOT'S DAY WEATHER:

Chance of morning rain, cloudy, high of 55, wind out of the west 15-18 mph

rofl

Of course!

Anyone care to predict the weather for Sept 14? 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson