2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

Prince of Fatness

As a comparison...

https://www.nsc.org/road-safety/safety-topics/fatality-estimates

38,000 people died from car crashes in 2019 and we haven't closed roads or transportation. Funny how this COVID 19 thingy is devistating enough to close down a marathon yet Boston is experiencing DOUBLE the number of fatal car crashes and no one cares. How many people need to die before we stop using cars? Treat them the same right?  When can we get some protection from unnecessary deaths in vehicles (ignore those who had mitigating circumstances like they were drunk, or hadn't slept in 30 hours, etc

Cars are not contagious.

Not at it at all. 

CalBears

mikeymike has given up on competitive running at the age of 50....bless him.👍

I guess he is totally not interested in AG results - just pure absolute numbers... He is lucky he didn't train hard and compete in his mid 20s - he would then give up competitive running much earlier? 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

Cars are not contagious.

It doesn't eliminate the fact that we are not doing anything about it...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We do lots for cars.

But BR's primary point is that because a lot of people die from car crashes it does not matter that people die from COVID.

OK, then.

#artbydmcbride

If people can really get back to work in droves, then schools have to be in session as well.  Keeping the healthcare system from being overwhelmed, we also need the school systems up and running.  We shouldn't take the chance of jeopardizing that by running a huge marathon in the early Fall.

Runners run

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I guess he is totally not interested in AG results - just pure absolute numbers... He is lucky he didn't train hard and compete in his mid 20s - he would then give up competitive running much earlier? 

He should take up golf now.....start with a 24 handicap and work his way down to maybe single handicap?  Maybe not.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Prince of Fatness

But it does point out a key difference that renders the analogy useless.

Not at it at all. 

CalBears

We do lots for cars.

But BR's primary point is that because a lot of people die from car crashes it does not matter that people die from COVID.

OK, then.

I still don't completely understand all the talk about having a vaccine for COVID - like it saves us all - we already have a vaccine(s) for flu (well... kind of) and we still have flu seasons with millions and millions of people sick every year actually, like twice a year on almost regular basis, but at least - once a year. And we all recognize that antibiotic does not cure the flu - it just helps to decrease the sick period by 2-3 days - so, basically we have to "get through" the sickness by ourselves. So, let's say we have a vaccine (and another kind of antibiotic) for covid - so, how many dead people from covid will be enough for our life to get back to normal? I guess the same numbers as flu ones would be fine with us?

I also think the percentage from covid is not 6 and is not 2 and probably is not even 1%. No proof - just a hunch. My daughter had a very very high temps in February, she had a dry cough also, we went to hospital, they didn't make any tests - gave her antibiotic without doing a test even for a flu. The doctor said - I am long enough in this field - I see it's a flu. Oh, really? Why you didn't do a flu test then, I wonder? We were with similar symptoms with my little son too - before Feb - in December and in January - he had absolutely awfull cough for two months and from time to time he had a fever during those two months - they gave antibiotic second time, they gave some breathing medication during first visit, they did no testing for anything - which looked absolutely strange - I am not saying we had some form of a covid back then - but the behavior of the medical personnel, looking back now, seems really unusual to me, different from what we experienced before. And I know many people at my work who had similar things happening to. them and their families in January and December - no tests were done for anything. Just for info - we have a health plan from Kaiser.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Flu =/= COVID, and the same is true with a vaccine.

A COVID vaccine is likely to be far more effective than a vaccine against influenza. Not 100% because no vaccine is, but if it reduces circulation enough then it will help. If it reduces disease severity, it will help. And even in years that it is a bad match influenza vaccination helps nonetheless.

I totally agree that we will likely find that COVID kills not 6%, not 1%, probably not 0.5%. But even 0.1% or 0.01% are still HUGE numbers of Americans. And again, and as others have said, it is NOT all about surviving this disease. People who survive are nonetheless very often left with long-term debilitating illness AND can lead to overburdening the health system in a way that puts non-COVID cases at risk as well.

I still don't completely understand all the talk about having a vaccine for COVID - like it saves us all - we already have a vaccine(s) for flu (well... kind of) and we still have flu seasons with millions and millions of people sick every year actually, like twice a year on almost regular basis, but at least - once a year. And we all recognize that antibiotic does not cure the flu - it just helps to decrease the sick period by 2-3 days - so, basically we have to "get through" the sickness by ourselves. So, let's say we have a vaccine (and another kind of antibiotic) for covid - so, how many dead people from covid will be enough for our life to get back to normal? I guess the same numbers as flu ones would be fine with us?

I also think the percentage from covid is not 6 and is not 2 and probably is not even 1%. No proof - just a hunch. My daughter had a very very high temps in February, she had a dry cough also, we went to hospital, they didn't make any tests - gave her antibiotic without doing a test even for a flu. The doctor said - I am long enough in this field - I see it's a flu. Oh, really? Why you didn't do a flu test then, I wonder? We were with similar symptoms with my little son too - before Feb - in December and in January - he had absolutely awfull cough for two months and from time to time he had a fever during those two months - they gave antibiotic second time, they gave some breathing medication during first visit, they did no testing for anything - which looked absolutely strange - I am not saying we had some form of a covid back then - but the behavior of the medical personnel, looking back now, seems really unusual to me, different from what we experienced before. And I know many people at my work who had similar things happening to. them and their families in January and December - no tests were done for anything. Just for info - we have a health plan from Kaiser.

an amazing likeness

Established DOT with Safety as a primary objective

Federal Highway Safety Act 1968

laminated windshields

lighting standards

fail-resistant braking

seat belts

crumple zones and crash performance standards

side impact

pedestrian impact performance

anti-lock braking

airbags

traction control

..etc

So yeah, nothing about it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

Who exactly is most of us?

mikeymike has given up on competitive running at the age of 50....bless him.👍

It was probably more like age 46 but it just took a while to realize it ... bless you too.  👍

Runners run

CalBears

laminated windshields

lighting standards

fail-resistant braking

seat belts

side impact

anti-lock braking

airbags

traction control

..etc

Still - 38,000 a year... Guaranteed... Means - didn't try hard enough...

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey you missed your boy runnerswhirled earlier.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

laminated windshields

lighting standards

fail-resistant braking

seat belts

side impact

anti-lock braking

airbags

traction control

..etc

38,000 people died after all those were implemented. Yeah. Nothing. Didn’t you read the part about those deaths being from 2019, or did I miss the part where air bags, like the recalled Toyota ones, were mandated in 2019? 
                              Didn’t seat belts get invented before the 1960s?

all those safety features and still 38,000 people died last year that we don’t care enough about to make changes. Their deaths are just a speed bump in the freeway of life’s important decisions. Nothing to see here folks. Move along. Just don’t cough on someone or spread COVID 19 with its 99% recovery rate and three weeks of illness. Run them over when they’re in a crosswalk with the right of way. Much less devastating.

oh and cars may not be contagious but they sure do kill a lot of people and have been killing people since they were invented. 

Also, it is good to know what my point was when I never said so. This is my favorite part about running. Being wrong about so many things. I could swear my point was more people have died from car crashes and we don’t ban cars or outlaw makes/models known for killing people (Ford Mustang) or evening massive car gatherings. If I want to avoid a dum bass on the road I don’t drive. Why doesn’t society stop using cars like we’ve stopped using parks, salons and barbers, daycares, and airplanes?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

undue monkey

This is a brilliant idea. Organizing civilization in such a way that requires humans to individually and manually operate hulking chunks of metal glass and rubber is incredibly inefficient, and exposes society to unnecessary risk (accidents, environmental damage, etc.)

Why doesn’t society stop using cars...?