2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

Anonymous Guest

So for anyone doing the Virtual Boston, what do you have planned for your run?  I'm planning on Sept 12, with a Sept 13 backup if the weather looks better.  I've got a 4.3 mile loop that I will do 6+ times.  My wife is going to man an aid station, and I'll have stuff stashed halfway through the loop as well.  I'll have a few other friends out there, either running, biking, or just hanging out.  I'm shooting for a 7:38 pace, just to say I BQ'd even though it doesn't count, but saying I BQ'd what is essentially a training run sounds like a decent goal.

I'm running mine on Labor Day, which I think is the first day you can do it. I found a small marathon in the middle of nowhere Nebraska on September 26 that looks like may actually happen, so virtual Boston will be my last long run for that. My plan is 26 times around the neighborhood loop - neighbors have agreed to come out and cheer, set up sprinklers, etc. and a few running friends are planning to come by and maybe run a lap or two with me. It will be slow going because Houston weather, and also since it's a too-long long run. There will probably even be some walking.

I saw the virtual Boston app is supposed to be available tomorrow, and comes with printable mile markers and signs for entering various towns along the original route. My DH has agreed to be my aid station in the driveway - I told him after reading that he was going to be really busy with signs and mile markers. He may be recruiting some neighbors.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Julia1971

I'm running mine on Labor Day, which I think is the first day you can do it.

I read on FB this morning that they're giving people 2 extra days.  So, the window will start Saturday, September 5th.

There's a good chance I won't do the virtual after all.  I haven't run over 20 miles since I did my virtual Boston back in April.  Heck, I'm not sure I've done more than 12 miles in a stretch since then.  I think I could probably jog/walk it, but it would not be fun.  I was thinking I could do a 26.2-mile hike somewhere as my virtual "run".  (I also read this morning that they are removing the 6-hour window.)

delicate flower

I could do a 26.2-mile hike somewhere as my virtual "run".  (I also read this morning that they are removing the 6-hour window.)

It'd be like an Ironman "run!"  If you've ever spectated at one of those things, there are about as many walkers as runners.  Big grin  Yes, I have done both.

<3

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm running mine on Labor Day, which I think is the first day you can do it. I found a small marathon in the middle of nowhere Nebraska on September 26 that looks like may actually happen, so virtual Boston will be my last long run for that.

I know the race you're talking about.  I'll be interested in your report.  (I have not done it, but might someday.)

Julia1971

It'd be like an Ironman "run!"  If you've ever spectated at one of those things, there are about as many walkers as runners.  Big grin  Yes, I have done both.

I did the math in my head during my run this morning and 6-hours is about 12 minute pace...  That seems run-walkable on very little training.  But, I can't say it sounds fun.

Anonymous Guest

But, I can't say it sounds fun.

That's never stopped me before. For example, 26 laps around my neighborhood in Houston heat and humidity doesn't sound "fun" but I'm weirdly looking forward to it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

That's never stopped me before. For example, 26 laps around my neighborhood in Houston heat and humidity doesn't sound "fun" but I'm weirdly looking forward to it.

If this doesn't show how "different" runners are from most people I'm not sure what will.

Friend: "Whatcha doin this weekend."

Runner: "Running around the neighborhood. Literally. 26 times. So I can finish my marathon."

Friend: *blank stares* "I wouldn't even drive around my neighborhood 26 times. You're going to run it."

Runner: "You can come by and cheer me on if you want. I'll have a table at the house. Should be there about every 8 minutes."

Friend: *blank stares*

Runner: "or not. It's cool. I'm kind of looking forward to it. Maybe the neighbors will come out and count the number of times I pass their house."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

delicate flower

The virtual race window starts tomorrow.  Good luck to everyone who is running it at some point in the next 10 days.

<3

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Do those people who run virtual marathons stop their watch at EXACTLY 26.2 miles?

Or 26.4/5 to make it look a bit more authentic?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I found it sweet and a bit sad.  Here, 1500 miles from Boston someone had put signs along our local railtrail...a little Citgo sign, followed by a "Right on Hereford" and "Left on Boylston" arrows, the proper distances from the trailhead.  I'm sure there were many more placed along the trail, but I'm not running 26.2 today.

Do those people who run virtual marathons stop their watch at EXACTLY 26.2 miles?

Or 26.4/5 to make it look a bit more authentic?

I haven’t done one, but I would absolutely stop at 26.2. Well maybe 26.22, I think that’s slightly more official.

Dave

Anonymous Guest

Getting ready to run mine tomorrow. When my Garmin says 26.22 miles, I will quit. I may have to do some sort of weird maneuvering at the end to make that happen in front of my house where the next-door neighbor kids will have the finish line tape, but since this is just a long run for a real marathon in 3 weeks (please happen, please happen, please happen), I'm not going for an "authentic" 26.4.

delicate flower

I haven’t done one, but I would absolutely stop at 26.2. Well maybe 26.22, I think that’s slightly more official.

BAA requires you submit a 26.2 mile run, so that is what I will submit.  You don't get an extra medal for running any longer than that.

<3

Julia1971

Getting ready to run mine tomorrow. When my Garmin says 26.22 miles, I will quit. I may have to do some sort of weird maneuvering at the end to make that happen in front of my house where the next-door neighbor kids will have the finish line tape, but since this is just a long run for a real marathon in 3 weeks (please happen, please happen, please happen), I'm not going for an "authentic" 26.4.

Have a great run tomorrow!  You have such a fun and giving spirit that I know your neighbors will be cheering you on the entire way.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If I’d stopped my watch at 26.22 during my last race (track marathon) it would’ve been a 2min PR!  Unfortunately it would also have been a DQ for failing to complete the final 7 or so laps.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)