2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

From the Internet.

o geez. BAA WHAT HAVE YOU DONEEEEE

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I'm curious what the difference is between an American and 'american'?

only my lack of typing skill!

Cyberic

As far as pretentiousness goes, we have threads of hundreds of pages that involve people posting their easy run paces each week.  So there's that.

The Cinnamon post put it in quotes.  I'm not sure what that meant.

only my lack of typing skill!

You think that's bad, you should see the club nats t-shirts this year...red, white AND blue!

How dare they!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            kcam

I dislike in-your-face shows of stuff like this but what I do like about it are the colors.  Red stripes on the arms.  Looks like a throwback AAU type jacket.  The unicorn could be smaller but F Yeah I'd consider buying one if I were going to Boston.

My $66 jacket arrived today.  It sure is pretty.  Now, into the closet for four months.

From the Internet.

You think that's bad, you should see the club nats t-shirts this year...red, white AND blue!

How dare they!

Um, don't be embarrassed or anything, but your shirt also says USA on it 

(fr though, anyone who knows me irl will attest that I am downright annoying about my political stances at times... and just, buying a jacket that I earned and caring that the colors might associate me with the place that I live, where there happens to be a raging trash fire in charge, is SO FAR DOWN THE LIST of my ethical consumer concerns... I'm still a little baffled.)

MTA I doooo kind of wish they'd picked a different color scheme last year and chosen the good ol' BAA blue and yellow for a big year like 125, but alas, I will go on.

Oh unicorn! Oh neon piping!

Yes indeed! It's time for the yearly appearance of.......

I think that I shall never see

Such douchery as the GSP.

Nerds who rail with fear and loathing

About a fucking piece of clothing

A frock that screams, "I QUALIFIED!"

And reeks of hobbyjogger pride.

The passersby will glance at it

And calmly think, "Who gives a shit?"

Oh unicorn! Oh neon piping!

I'm brought to tears as I'm typing.

This and more The Jacket uncorks

For wretched giant flaming dorks.

First posted in the swamp circa 2012 but this is the first instance of it I could find in the GSP. Still funny, however many years later.

Runners run

Julia1971

Um, don't be embarrassed or anything, but your shirt also says USA on it 

(fr though, anyone who knows me irl will attest that I am downright annoying about my political stances at times... and just, buying a jacket that I earned and caring that the colors might associate me with the place that I live, where there happens to be a raging trash fire in charge, is SO FAR DOWN THE LIST of my ethical consumer concerns... I'm still a little baffled.)

MTA I doooo kind of wish they'd picked a different color scheme last year and chosen the good ol' BAA blue and yellow for a big year like 125, but alas, I will go on.

I mean, it's not like the race is run on a day that celebrates the American revolution or anything.  If that were the case, one could argue it should be red, white, and blue every year.  But, that would be stupid.  

Edited to add: if I were good with photoshop, I would drop a version with and Eagles with arrows in its talons, a musket, and the Statute of Liberty on the back.  Now, THAT would be pretentious.

FSBD

Resistance is Patriotic.  So if one opposes the dumpster fire in the White House they should sport the Red, White, & Blue.  Also I think the jacket looks great and will buy one after the race.  (As long as my race isn't a total dumpster fire.)

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I don't care what it looks like, what anyone else thinks about it, or what nutty associations someone might make because of the colors or the enormous unicorn horn...if I finish Boston, which would be my first Boston, I'm buying one and wearing it, at least once, proudly!

the enormous unicorn horn...

VERY offended!!!

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I stand with Cinnamon, The jacket sucks not just the color but the fit too. Honestly I have more than one but a few years ago I stopped getting a jacket.  I get my jackets one of 2 ways either I bought them from Marshalls $29.99. Or my GF usually gifts me the jacket and last year I told her save her money.  It cost me $380 to run Boston last year. No way I was giving BAA more money.

LOL even my son rejected the Adidas products I bought him an Adidas hydroflask and Tiro pants and top. He was like can you switch it for Nike preferably something with Kaepernick . Speaking of Pretentious, I have so many Adidas $50 GC from BAA races. Even free I reject it. Now the London and Berlin jacket.... Well that's my cup of tea in 2020.  Race jackets are played out you only ever need one.  If its your 1st, I get it. But if its your 20th you're a pretentious douche just like your Coward in chief'. Does his tie need to be that long?? Does the horn need to be that big???  Jackets I think one is enough, I will take my first and get it embroidered like the old GOATs. I will donate my others to a homeless shelter.

When I'm out to dinner in Boston and I see some old fart with a 1993 Jacket that's their 1st with the year and times embroidered.

Now those are some cool ass justifiably pretentious jackets. I am often moved to buy the person a drink and have them tell me a story about their first race. If you want to support the sport save your money and buy a GOAT a drink. Their stories are often worth hearing. One of my best Boston moments was running into Bill Rodgers and sharing a run and chat.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You know what the most pretentious thing is? People who wear their Boston Marathon jackets to other race's expos. I cringe at those people. It's the most "look at me" thing you can wear.

Buy the jacket if you like to remember the race, just don't wear out to try to impress people, which is exactly what you're doing when you're wearing it to an expo (or at some small charity 5K, that might even be worse).

I agree the colors of the jacket are awesome this year though. The past few years have been horrific beyond belief.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What an ugly personality you must have.

From the self confessed “delicate flower”. 😂

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)