2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

paul2432

You know what the most pretentious thing is? People who wear their Boston Marathon jackets to other race's expos. I cringe at those people. It's the most "look at me" thing you can wear.

Perhaps they are doing it ironically and you just aren't in on the joke.  I can't see any other reason someone would do it.

Runners sure have a lot of rules.  I wear my Boston Marathon jacket after every race if it's cold.  I don't think anyone is impressed or am I wearing for that purpose.  It is simply part of a track suit for warmth.

You know what the most pretentious thing is? People who wear their Boston Marathon jackets to other race's expos. I cringe at those people. It's the most "look at me" thing you can wear.

Buy the jacket if you like to remember the race, just don't wear out to try to impress people, which is exactly what you're doing when you're wearing it to an expo (or at some small charity 5K, that might even be worse).

I agree the colors of the jacket are awesome this year though. The past few years have been horrific beyond belief.

kcam

The Sweet Jacket has a lot of power and says a lot about you, friend.  Be very careful about how and when you choose to wield that power.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Perhaps they are doing it ironically and you just aren't in on the joke.  I can't see any other reason someone would do it.

LOL, I would very much doubt that.....and forgive for saying this, but you’ve never struck me as the sort of person who is into jokes or understands them.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Maybe they're a bit chilly, and put on a jacket for extra warmth?  I hear that's quite common these days.

The Sweet Jacket is the ultimate Rorschach Test for runners.

Runners run

Julia1971

Rorschach? You and your pretentious fancy words.

The Sweet Jacket is the ultimate Rorschach Test for runners.

From the Internet.

In the Boston area we also have plenty of local non-qualifiers running the race and wearing the jacket so this is all an extra layer of wild to me... Lol gonna have to make a mental note not to wear it while traveling, lest I be judged! Or maybe I'll really lean into it - pair it with designer jeans or Lululemon yoga gear or some shit, really keep people guessing!

Quick question. I took a brief run in my 2008 Sweet Jacket today. The color scheme of that year was white and blue. When I got home, to my abject horror, I realized I had worn a red hair tie! What will people think of me? Will I be judged as being an 'american'?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Quick question. I took a brief run in my 2008 Sweet Jacket today. The color scheme of that year was white and blue. When I got home, to my abject horror, I realized I had worn a red hair tie! What will people think of me? Will I be judged as being an 'american'?

The only remedy is to blend in with another nationality that shares those colors.  I suggest you go three-C's French: coffee, cigarettes and cynicism. That should tide you over until an extraction team arrives.  Hold tight.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Not to add insult to injury but were you perchance running in an area where you could have been mistaken for a Belle Meade housewife?

Runners run

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Why does everyone think the Boston jacket is the most bought jacket out of all races? If you haven't figured out that it's because people want to show off, you're not very observant. I mean look at the cheating that goes on to get into this race, or that Boston medals are sold online! It may not be that YOU are showing off, and you can certainly wear it wherever you please.

This is like people who buy a hummer and get offended when people say they're buying a mid-life crisis car. Sure, maybe you aren't having a mid-life crisis, but sure as hell a lot of the people buying that car are, so don't be so shocked when other people are laughing at you for it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Joann Y

This is all VERY entertaining.

Prince of Fatness

Why does everyone think the Boston jacket is the most bought jacket out of all races? If you haven't figured out that it's because people want to show off, you're not very observant. I mean look at the cheating that goes on to get into this race, or that Boston medals are sold online! It may not be that YOU are showing off, and you can certainly wear it wherever you please.

This is like people who buy a hummer and get offended when people say they're buying a mid-life crisis car. Sure, maybe you aren't having a mid-life crisis, but sure as hell a lot of the people buying that car are, so don't be so shocked when other people are laughing at you for it.

We’re you always able to know what people think and what motivates them without ever interacting with them, or did you have to work at it?

Not at it at all. 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve been riding motorbikes since my early teens and I’m now paranoid that people will think my Virago 535 is a mid-life crisis purchase!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)