2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

mikeymike

Why does everyone think the Boston jacket is the most bought jacket out of all races? If you haven't figured out that it's because people want to show off, you're not very observant. I mean look at the cheating that goes on to get into this race, or that Boston medals are sold online! It may not be that YOU are showing off, and you can certainly wear it wherever you please.

This is like people who buy a hummer and get offended when people say they're buying a mid-life crisis car. Sure, maybe you aren't having a mid-life crisis, but sure as hell a lot of the people buying that car are, so don't be so shocked when other people are laughing at you for it.

Look man I realize this isn't really your area but the people on here who are mocking the Sweet Jacket for the level of importance that some place on it, while simultaneously admitting that they own one as a souvenir of an accomplishment that has some personal importance to them--and don't feel weird wearing running, or it to the grocery store, or to race expos--are actually demonstrating a admirable level of self-awareness.

Also, Lank is never going to come back if we keep explaining the jokes.

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

Why does everyone think the Boston jacket is the most bought jacket out of all races? If you haven't figured out that it's because people want to show off, you're not very observant. I mean look at the cheating that goes on to get into this race, or that Boston medals are sold online! It may not be that YOU are showing off, and you can certainly wear it wherever you please.

This is like people who buy a hummer and get offended when people say they're buying a mid-life crisis car. Sure, maybe you aren't having a mid-life crisis, but sure as hell a lot of the people buying that car are, so don't be so shocked when other people are laughing at you for it.

So you're going to laugh at me when I buy my Boston jacket?  I'll be close to 40 when I buy it so I'm definitely going to be holding on to my youth. I should get my qualifying time stitched into it as well. Maybe below the logo on the front like someone getting their first tattoo in their 40s. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Not to add insult to injury but were you perchance running in an area where you could have been mistaken for a Belle Meade housewife?

Well sure, when I drove off in my Hummer.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The true meta is the folks who buy their Sweet Jacket two sizes larger -- so they can still wear it long after they retire from this stoopid sport.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Andres1045

The only remedy is to blend in with another nationality that shares those colors.  I suggest you go three-C's French: coffee, cigarettes and cynicism. That should tide you over until an extraction team arrives.  Hold tight.

I found this to be incredibly funny. Best entertainment on here so far, and there's been a lot of good stuff.

But then I read on. And now I see that it hasn't yet been explained. So that got me thinking. Am I missing some part of it? Or was it accidentally written in a way that wasn't sufficiently inside to keep outsiders from understanding? If it is explained, will I find it even funnier? Do I have to pay someone for answers, or just participate here for a sufficiently long enough time before I'm allowed behind the magic curtain?

Upcoming races: Boston

Joann Y

I found this to be incredibly funny. Best entertainment on here so far, and there's been a lot of good stuff.

But then I read on. And now I see that it hasn't yet been explained. So that got me thinking. Am I missing some part of it? Or was it accidentally written in a way that wasn't sufficiently inside to keep outsiders from understanding? If it is explained, will I find it even funnier? Do I have to pay someone for answers, or just participate here for a sufficiently long enough time before I'm allowed behind the magic curtain?

You're not missing anything as far as I know!

Joann Y

The true meta is the folks who buy their Sweet Jacket two sizes larger -- so they can still wear it long after they retire from this stoopid sport.

Dammit.

paul2432

LOL, I would very much doubt that.....and forgive for saying this, but you’ve never struck me as the sort of person who is into jokes or understands them.

Interesting.  I wasn’t really serious about people wearing the jacket ironically.  That post was meant to be amusing.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

So you're going to laugh at me when I buy my Boston jacket?  I'll be close to 40 when I buy it so I'm definitely going to be holding on to my youth. I should get my qualifying time stitched into it as well. Maybe below the logo on the front like someone getting their first tattoo in their 40s. 

That's brilliant!  I need to get that done ASAP.  It's important strangers know I actually qualified for Boston, and am not some inferior charity hobby-jogger!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I’ve been riding motorbikes since my early teens and I’m now paranoid that people will think my Virago 535 is a mid-life crisis purchase!

Nah motorcycles are cool, even if some people buy them for mid-life crises. Hummers have never been cool and never will be. I wouldn't be surprised if half the people who wear the Boston Marathon jacket to expos drive hummers to get there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

This thread is the perfect gift to the non-runner in your life who already thinks runners are crazy

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Rorschach? You and your pretentious fancy words.

I thought Rorschach was that weird student on Welcome Back Kotter.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And it's great that this thread is bringing out fun new people I haven't seen around here.

MTA: Not saying this ironically, I think.

Running Problem

Problem Child

They don't come in XXXL. No marathon has ever had a Triple Extra Large anything. I have a large father in law.

Should I protest them? Blow up their social media for fat shaming people or not including all runner body types? They're obviously doing the same thing Peloton did with their rich white woman on the expensive bike. Maybe I'll make a video asking and post it online so I can go viral and get free admission, or they'll not release an official statement. 

I plan to grow into mine for a few years. Currently a Medium. Maybe I'll hit a growth spurt.

Steve I self identify as a jogger and not a runner. how dare you assume my exercise preference.

Runner It will 1-up all those around you when they wear their prehistoric blue and yellow jackets. "I was there when it was hard. Back then it was soft and they gave you an extra 59 seconds. Also times were slower. You didn't even have an official beer." 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

delicate flower

100 days to go!!

<3