Tight and Sore (Read 1315 times)

Jason Smith

I just started running about three weeks ago. Bought a good pair of shoes from a running store. My best pace is 3 miles in 33 minutes. My usual route is a little hilly. After running 'my best pace,' I feel real tightness and soreness in my calf muscle on my left leg. Tried a cool down walk last night. Didn't help much. The next day, today, the soreness and tightness was rough. I hobbled around a bit. Is this normal? Do I need to cut back? I get tight/sore during my run too. I enjoy running a bunch. I don't want to kick back now. I am really getting into it.
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How often are you running? Are you running 11 minute miles all the time? How winded are you during your runs; are you running at conversational pace? Going too fast too soon isn't good; you may need to slow down. It takes your joints and connective tissue some time to adjust to the running. Without seeing your training log, it's hard to say.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Sometimes people think you use calf muscles to "kick" but the actual fact is that they are used more as braking. If you land hard, or if you run tip-toe; then your calves would take a lot of abuse. If you continue when your calf muscles are tight, you may end up some Achilles problem or muslce pull in your calves. So if your calves are tight and sore, you shouldn't be doing too much running. Simple massaging, using a product like The Stick, would help. I actually found brisk walking, wearing one of those casual street shoes like Puma H-Street (I don't know if they still sell these but for a while "minimalists" always talked about these) or ASICS Mexico...stuff like that. One of my runners had a calf problem last week and she said she walked in Sketcher shoes. I've noticed some of Sketcher shoes look like they have very thin heel but their heel inside is actually quite a bit built-up (secretly) so they are not as thin as they look. But walking around in any form would still help. Walking is not as demanding as running (doesn't take as much weight bearing action); yet, your Achilles/calf would take quite a bit of range of motion and stretching. I've found walking to be one of the best rehabilitation exercises for Achilles/calf problem. I wear several layers of clothing (even with long-sleeves T-shirt and windbreaker jacket) in the middle of the summer. The other day, I did just that in my black wind-breaker jacket and pants in 88F temperature. This is so my heart would do extra work and I sweat more and I'd feel like I actually worked out! ;o) My wife thinks I do that just to show off! And I hold a fist-size rock to work on my arm-swing as well (which I do not do when I run). I know there are hand-grip weight but rocks are free! ;o) Be careful with stretching, including brisk walking, though. I prefer a form of exercise like walking than simple massaging because you're actually sending some oxygen to the area as well to remove waste products in the area. But, naturally, you could do too much and, while muscles are tight, more damage can be done more easily. Just feel your way and, if they're so tight and painful to do anything, you need to back off. Either way, you'll need to find some form of exercise that massage and stretch your calves gently Not doing anything, as far as I'm concerned, is not a good solution. Moving forward, if the calf problem pursists, you should consider wearing shoes with thick heel (which I usually do NOT recommend to anybody...). I had a pair of ASICS DS Racer, the last year's model, the flashy red ones. They made those with thicker than usual heel and I could actually feel it. But I liked them and, even today, I wear them whenever I have tight calves; just to aleviate extra strech in my calves. Whenever I hear ladies compalin about sore calves or tight calves, I'd ask them if they wear high heel shoes during the day. If you leave your calves in tightened state all the time, like walking around in high heel shoes, invariably your calves would take further stretching from running. You need to gradually get used to stretching your calves. Usually it takes longer than 3 weeks so be patient and try to figure out what's causing it. Running lots of hills when starting out would put a lot of stress in your calves as well becuase, even if you're wearing thick-soled shoes, you ARE stretching your calves further than natural. Great way to work on your calves but could be too much when starting out. Stay on the flat course if you can. I run "tip-toe" and I used to have lots of Achilles/calves problem when I was running in conventioanl "training" flats with thick heels. Since I switched to minimalist shoes and now I run in VERY low profile racing flats, I in fact have even less problems. I don't know how to insert images but this is my favorite shoe and I go up to 2-hours in: http://www.asie-shop.com/asics-marathon-sortie-japan-pi-83.html CanadianMeg: I see you quite often now. Which part of Canada you're from?

Dave

Here is the shoe Nobby was referring to:

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

WOW - what an explaination by Nobby......You must be a running coach (I guarantee you know more then I do) Cool When ever i have sore muscles (calves or any other) i check my logs to make sure that I'm not running too much and too far.....you stated that you just started and are running 3 miles in 33 minutes - which is prettygood right out of the shoot.... You may want to consider running a little less and building you mileage a little slower to allow you body to get used to running -----It would really help if you publish your running log so we can have an idea of your mileage and other such stuff....... my experience is most running injuries/pains (especially early on) are due to over excitement and over doing it..... Slow down and run a little less....build slowly to more mileage........and let us see your log......GOOD LUCK

Champions are made when no one is watching

Giant Flaming Dork

Without seeing your log, I would say that you are running too fast and running too fast up those hills. Try to run slower and on flatter surfaces. If that's not possible where you live, at least run on flat surfaces 1-2x/week. Try to find a high school track.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Krisruns

I'd also suggest you go back to the running store with the shoes and ask for their advice. I had problems with my right knee a while back, and it turned out that I didn't have the best shoe for the running I was actually doing (compared to what I described when I bought the shoe). They may be able to help.

Think Whirled Peas

WOW - what an explaination by Nobby......You must be a running coach (I guarantee you know more then I do) Cool
                  Uh, yeah. He's a coach. And then some!!!! Check out this interview w/Nobby on Flotrack: http://www.flotrack.org/articles/view/503-nobuya-nobby-hashizume-on-the-legend-and-legacy-of-arthur-lydiard Smile

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Jason Smith

Thanks everyone. I just got on the RunningAHEAD site, and I didn't have any idea about publishing my training log. I will try to do that ASAP. (There's not much on it right now, though. Just joined.) I am planning on scaling back. Flatter surfaces. Walk a little more. Slowly build mileage and time. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good training program just to go from no-running to running a 5 or 10K? Thanks!

Think Whirled Peas

The Couch to 5K plan is pretty popular.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The Couch to 5K plan is pretty popular.
                        And we do have a C25K group here on RA. Just click the link in my signature if you want to see what it's about. It's designed to keep new runners from doing too much too soon and structures for 3 runs per week, starting with run/walk intervals up to straight runs.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Imminent Catastrophe

Off topic but, "Tight and Sore" is the subject line of some spam I got recently.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

oxbowgbr

Sorry to 'hijack' the thread, but this seemed like the most appropriate one considering the topic! Been running for a few years now, bit have recently been looking into improving my 'technique'. traditional teachings as I remember were that sprinters ran on their toes, and distance runners ran on there flats/heels. Having had a scoot round Google, it would appear that I am supposed to be running on the balls of my feet, in a cycling type motion, with the footfall directly under my centre of gravity. Considering the posts in this thread, I'm now confused as to if this is 'correct' or if it's a case of doing whatever you find comfortable?????? Nobby, you seem like the person who can end my confusion Smile Smile Help!!!!!
                              Nobby will Certainly Chime in, but I would just add that You will find your " Natural Gait" the more your running improves and your form finds it's own. One thing I have certainly learned in the last year is that One person's normal is not every persons normal. Foot strike and gait are definitely not a one size fits all....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Imminent Catastrophe

... Been running for a few years now, bit have recently been looking into improving my 'technique'. traditional teachings as I remember were that sprinters ran on their toes, and distance runners ran on there flats/heels. Having had a scoot round Google, it would appear that I am supposed to be running on the balls of my feet, in a cycling type motion, with the footfall directly under my centre of gravity. Considering the posts in this thread, I'm now confused as to if this is 'correct' or if it's a case of doing whatever you find comfortable??????
                                I think you will find your form naturally. Some (I would say most) endurance runners are heel strikers and some, especially those who run barefoot or in sandals, are forefoot strikers. It's whatever you feel comfortable with.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016