Children biking on the track? (Read 503 times)

Our track is open to the public but bans wheeled people/ things.  Theres only one gate that's open except during practice and that is only maybe a couple feet wide, plus it's like angled so you cant get a bike in unless you toss it over the fence.  It works pretty well, I've only seen one or two people manage to get wheeled devices onto the track in my few years of running.

I would be fine with it if it was on one of the rarer blacktop tracks. On any other rubber track like the one pictured though, I give a resounding "No way!" That will just destroy it faster, especially if they do any hard braking. Tracks are expensive.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

This track as brand new. Bigger issue is that kids on bikes are very, very erratic. Almost hit a couple running round mile pace. The red kid is on a motorized scooter.

Adults on bikes aren't much better.  My family and I pulled up to the local track to do some laps together last Saturday, and there's another family pulling up unloading a whole slew of bikes.  Yup, the mother, father, a grand parent, and several very small children then proceeded to circle the track very slowly and erratically, for the next 20 minutes, across ALL lanes, until they packed up and left.  I like to think my angry stares and outbursts every time one of them crossed my path (which was confined to lane 1) played a part in that.  I couldn't believe how rude they were, and there are PLENTY of very wide, very nice bike paths all around our neighborhood.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

It's definitely a safety issue, and I've had some troubles the last few times I've been to the track.  The "worst" is this elderly gentleman that brings his wife, who I'm guessing has Alzheimer's, to walk on the track.  She pushes a baby stroller, although there is no baby in it.  She also reads aloud from a children's book, while walking/occasionally standing.  He doesn't walk with her, but allows her to do this in lane one.  While it's incredibly sad, it's also very dangerous.  I don't mind going around her, but I worry that going around her at 5:30 pace, even moving out to lane 2 or 3, will be enough to throw her balance and make her fall.  I really don't want to have to feel like I knocked over an 80 year old!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's definitely a safety issue, and I've had some troubles the last few times I've been to the track.  The "worst" is this elderly gentleman that brings his wife, who I'm guessing has Alzheimer's, to walk on the track.  She pushes a baby stroller, although there is no baby in it.  She also reads aloud from a children's book, while walking/occasionally standing.  He doesn't walk with her, but allows her to do this in lane one.  While it's incredibly sad, it's also very dangerous.  I don't mind going around her, but I worry that going around her at 5:30 pace, even moving out to lane 2 or 3, will be enough to throw her balance and make her fall.  I really don't want to have to feel like I knocked over an 80 year old!

That is sad.  I think I would just cede the track to them during her walks (and hope others do likewise).

I coach track at a Catholic high school, so our track is private property.  I've been there long enough that I occasionally call the track "mine".  That said, it doesn't bother me when local people use it (even if it's locked, it's a three foot fence, but it's rarely locked) as long as they follow the posted rules, which are the ones already mentioned in this thread.  We've had problems from time to time but for the most part, it isn't an issue.

What DOES cheese me off is when other teams from our school come down to the track during our practice and get in our way.  Even this doesn't happen often but in my weakest moments, I have been tempted to send my kids over to the softball or lacrosse field to practice - hurdles, starting blocks, the pistol, everything.  How sweet would that be!  Then I remember I'm an adult.  Angry

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Ric-G

+1

Bad parenting and bad for the track.

marathon pr - 3:16

Arimathea

Tessa

Our track is open to the public but bans wheeled people/ things.  Theres only one gate that's open except during practice and that is only maybe a couple feet wide, plus it's like angled so you cant get a bike in unless you toss it over the fence.  It works pretty well, I've only seen one or two people manage to get wheeled devices onto the track in my few years of running.

Wait until someone files an accessibility lawsuit. You can ban bikes and scooters and the like, but banning wheelchairs is not legal.

And on a different post, did I actually read middle school stadiums? Seventh/eighth grade football is big enough to warrant a stadium at the middle school? I certainly hope they have also fully funded the science labs, computer labs, and library at the same middle school.

And on a different post, did I actually read middle school stadiums? Seventh/eighth grade football is big enough to warrant a stadium at the middle school? I certainly hope they have also fully funded the science labs, computer labs, and library at the same middle school.

I have two middle schools within 5mi of me, each with its own track.  Neither is in a purpose-built stadium, though -- just spectator-friendly hillsides on each long side of the football fields.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

It might have been my earlier post.

Yes, the middle school football stadium seats probably 500 to 1,000 people.  Maybe 7 to 10 rows of seats from the 25 to 25 yard line.  Also has an inside room for the announcers at the top.

MTA:  If you care to see some pictures of the track / football stadium, check it out.  The track is only 4 lanes, asphalt, and unaccessible by the 6 foot chain link fence.

Yes, there's funded science labs computer lans, and libraries, etc.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Arimathea

Tessa

When I was in middle school the "track" was the grassy border around the soccer fields. No track.

My kids' middle school had (has) a cinder path around the playing fields, but no track. The high school isn't that far away, though, and it has a track.

Definitely no stadium or bleachers at the middle school.

xhristopher

It only gets worse. Who does this guy think he is?

Julia1971

You know, we're living in a society!!!

It only gets worse. Who does this guy think he is?

I take my children to a track to ride bikes. It's the black top kind not the rubbery one which is closer to our house. But living in a rural community it's the only safe place to ride a bike. We don't have a park nearby or sidewalks, so track walking, running, biking or strolling is the safest option. I believe everyone has the same rights to use public facilities as everyone else, even if they get in your way. Smile

Menace to Sobriety

I believe everyone has the same rights to use public facilities as everyone else, even if they get in your way. Smile

Yes, but only as it was intended. Once we get outside the bounds of intended use, where do you draw the line? Tracks were made for running. I don't think anyone would tolerate it if I brought my dirt bike down to knock out a few laps. That being said, I don't really have a problem if you're the only ones there, but if others are running, common sense should prevail and get off the track.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.