Children biking on the track? (Read 503 times)

Feeling the growl again

I believe everyone has the same rights to use public facilities as everyone else, even if they get in your way. Smile

This is not true, and school tracks are typically not open public facilities.  As for doing it even if you get in the way of others, frankly that is a terrible attitude.  I always try to be considerate of others, even if I am within my rights to do what I am doing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

This is not true, and school tracks are typically not open public facilities.  As for doing it even if you get in the way of others, frankly that is a terrible attitude.  

+1 Tracks are designed so that people can run (or jog or walk) in circles within lanes. If you want to do something else, go somewhere else. There are other places such as empty parking lots you can go to if you want to ride around on a bike but it you do that on a track, you interfere with people using the track as it was intended. Be considerate.

Reminds me of the time a friend and I went to the local park to play tennis.  Two courts.  Four guys (together) occupying both of them, two per court.  Playing "tennis" ... with soccer balls and their feet.  With FOUR totally empty soccer pitches adjacent the courts.

They argued they had as much right to use the courts as we did, and they weren't vacating.  And they didn't. 

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Somewhat OT, but not by much.

This happened on a bike path right near my house:

http://arlingtonheights.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/recent-death-after-lake-arlington-pathway-accident-reminds-users-to-beware

On June 18, 74-year-old Barbara Pagano of Arlington Heights was involved in an accident where she was struck by a bicycle while walking on the pathway at Lake Arlington, 1400 E. Valley Lane.

The bike was being driven by an 11 year old boy.. the speed limit on this path is only 8 MPH, but it's usually the adults that are zooming around it, but not very often. Most serious bikers avoid this path because it's too crowded, and only 1.8 miles around. 

Chris Hancock I presume?

I'll be coaching at this track later today.  I make a point of nicely asking people to walk in the outside lanes while we're doing our workout, and so far I haven't had anyone tell us no.

Kids on bikes are another issue entirely, they are completely unpredictable.  If they stayed in lanes 7 and 8 it wouldn't be a problem, you just never know what they're going to do, I'm waiting for the first runner to get injured.  The crazy thing is not 100 yards from this track is a nice wooded area with paved roads and no cars that kids could ride around in.  I think it is bizarre they'd rather walk ride in a circle when they can go in the woods, I don't get it.

I'd like to see people try what they do on a track on another athletic field.  During soccer practice, they could do their Boot camp workout, during a Basketball game how about some power walking from end line to end line.

Seven of them tonight. Coming at you from every direction. Forget hurdles. Here's dynamic slalom.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I coach track at a Catholic high school, so our track is private property.  I've been there long enough that I occasionally call the track "mine".  That said, it doesn't bother me when local people use it (even if it's locked, it's a three foot fence, but it's rarely locked) as long as they follow the posted rules, which are the ones already mentioned in this thread.  We've had problems from time to time but for the most part, it isn't an issue.

What DOES cheese me off is when other teams from our school come down to the track during our practice and get in our way.  Even this doesn't happen often but in my weakest moments, I have been tempted to send my kids over to the softball or lacrosse field to practice - hurdles, starting blocks, the pistol, everything.  How sweet would that be!  Then I remember I'm an adult.  Angry

I use a private high school track that is not open to the public, but also never locked up. No one's ever kicked me off, so it's nice to hear from someone in that position. I wait until all of the practices are done to go, and when I'm there I usually walk a lap at the end of my workout and pick up trash and throw it in the cans. It's kind of my way of giving back for using it, ha ha. My friend is a junior high coach at this school though so maybe they'd honor the fact that she gave me permission (or runs with me much of the time). I'd be furious if someone was on it on wheels, though.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

joescott

I take my children to a track to ride bikes. It's the black top kind not the rubbery one which is closer to our house. But living in a rural community it's the only safe place to ride a bike. We don't have a park nearby or sidewalks, so track walking, running, biking or strolling is the safest option. I believe everyone has the same rights to use public facilities as everyone else, even if they get in your way. Smile

Well, part of the problem, too, is that bikes, especially with kids skidding tires and such, are pretty hard on the track surface, unless you have some old school hard asphalt track.  I'd rather see the track surface hold up longer and not have to spend more tax $$ to keep it in good repair.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

xhristopher

Chris Hancock I presume?

That's my alter ego.

Unfortunately I think the track works for parents as a way to watch and not watch your kids at the same time.

The day I took that pic I was somewhat frustrated. Nothing like trying to do a hard workout and have to nearly run over kids...

kcam

I use a private high school track that is not open to the public, but also never locked up. No one's ever kicked me off, so it's nice to hear from someone in that position. I wait until all of the practices are done to go, and when I'm there I usually walk a lap at the end of my workout and pick up trash and throw it in the cans. It's kind of my way of giving back for using it, ha ha. My friend is a junior high coach at this school though so maybe they'd honor the fact that she gave me permission (or runs with me much of the time). I'd be furious if someone was on it on wheels, though.

Thank you for doing this.

Yeah France

If it is not crowded and no damage is being done...