3:00-3:19:59 Marathon Runners are people too (Read 114 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

There’s a 3:00 and 3:20 and beyond (imho claiming everything beyond for your forum is audacious)

just feel sad these tweens don’t have a place on RA.  Not that I’m anywhere near that M time (I’m in the beyond)

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

kcam

Heh ... I thought I was in the 'beyond' at sub-3:20?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Hound, the "and beyond" is an old holdover - many people (such as myself) joined that little community back on RWOL while initially training to hit 3:20 or faster, then stuck around despite eventually running 2:4x or better, or moving on to ultras and doing 200 milers (yes, these are real people in the thread). Thus the "and beyond". There are also a number of people there currently who are coming back from injuries or other time off and aren't at all in 3:20 shape (such as myself) who just hang around for the community while building back.

Drop by, we're a rather welcoming bunch. Or you can always start your own thread, if you like. 

Are you familiar with the Ten Junk Miles podcast? You'd probably enjoy it based on the races you have planned, since that whole crew is likely local to you.

KCam - I think you fit in with the group quite well!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Wayyy back in the days of RWOL, there was a 3:20 thread, and a 3:00 thread, and a 2:40/competitive jerks thread, and a 3:40/women's BQ thread (back when 3:40 was the younger women's BQ).  And also a 3:10 thread that made several attempts at life, but could never quite make it off the ground.  Each thread had its own specific flavor, and people gravitated to threads as much for the tone of the thread as for the official pace title.

(I have to admit, I'm still not quite sure what qualifies one for official participation in a thread  - are you only allowed to participate as long as that time is your goal (i.e. you get kicked out once you hit it) or must you beat that time to be an official member?)

Anyhoo, when RWOL came crashing down, many of the refugees migrated over here and re-opened the threads, much like ethnic enclaves in the US.  3:20 and 3:00 made it over; others did not.   But...there's no reason someone couldn't create another thread for any time they wanted - be it 3:10 or 3:12 or sub-4.

For the record, I always wanted to be a member of the competitive jerks thread, but there was no way I'd ever be in that pace range.  I honestly wouldn't mind if we co-opted that title for the sub-3 thread.  So I could finally officially be a competitive jerk(ette).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

The 3:10 thread was pretty strong at one point.  I considered joining that one instead of 3:20 after my return to marathons but decided 3:35 to 3:10 was too much of a jump.  It really took a hit after one of the format changes at RW and was never the same either way.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Wayyy back in the days of RWOL, there was a 3:20 thread, and a 3:00 thread, and a 2:40/competitive jerks thread, and a 3:40/women's BQ thread (back when 3:40 was the younger women's BQ).  And also a 3:10 thread that made several attempts at life, but could never quite make it off the ground.  Each thread had its own specific flavor, and people gravitated to threads as much for the tone of the thread as for the official pace title.

Anyhoo, when RWOL came crashing down, many of the refugees migrated over here and re-opened the threads, much like ethnic enclaves in the US.  3:20 and 3:00 made it over; others did not.   But...there's no reason someone couldn't create another thread for any time they wanted - be it 3:10 or 3:12 or sub-4.

RWOL also had a thread for the 4:30 +/- runners called the Turtle Room.  That now exists on RA as a group rather than a thread.  We back-of-the-pack folks are, also, people too.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

T Hound

Slower but happier

Thanks for the history lesson. Good to know there is a place for everyone here at RA.  Endless possibilitie

CommandeKeen Yes have enjoyed many runs listening to TJM.  Always entertaining.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

mikeymike

(I have to admit, I'm still not quite sure what qualifies one for official participation in a thread  - are you only allowed to participate as long as that time is your goal (i.e. you get kicked out once you hit it) or must you beat that time to be an official member?)

I'm pretty sure the qualifications are  access to the internet since there's no way to kick someone out of a thread.

btw, in the parallel universe to RWOL that was the early days of RA, "elitist pricks" was our "competitive jerks" thread. The moniker was always meant to be ironic but, alas, the internet ... so lots of people didn't take it that way.

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

Aren’t these threads supposed to start with an introduction, goal, past race results and maybe a discussion about current weather? It’s a great thread title and I’m in the 3-3:19 crowd with my PR and BQ attempt so it might be a good place to hang out.

Let’s give this a shot...

Im a 3:13 PR runner aiming for a BQ. I live in the cold part of Nevada. I’m all over Strava with cool titles and I’m aiming for a downhill marathon. How about you?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22