What are the most beautiful running routes in New York City? (Read 84 times)

ekelly89

What are your favorite, most scenic runs in New York Ctiy? Trying to think outside the box here, like not JUST Central Park. Thanks for any recommendations!

jfa

I assume you mean Manhattan.

Along the West Side Hudson River path. From W40th down and around to the Brooklyn Bridge is my favorite part. Although the path now circles almost the entire island.

an amazing likeness

The Run Spots feature here on RunningAhead (under the Resources link) is a great way to find routes other runners are using and can often give some fresh ideas.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Joann Y

Seanv2 has put this together. You'd have to read through it to figure out if anything attracts and is doable. I thought it was a neat idea.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I assume you mean Manhattan.

Along the West Side Hudson River path. From W40th down and around to the Brooklyn Bridge is my favorite part. Although the path now circles almost the entire island.

I also put in a lot of long miles on the West Side Highway, but I preferred to go north (from 14th street), through Ft. Washington Park and past the little red lighthouse. It always liked the way it felt more "country" up there.

I don't think the path extended to the Brooklyn Bridge when I lived there, but maybe I just never bothered to go past Battery Park.

Honestly, my favorite thing to do was to pick a neighborhood we hadn't explored before, especially out in Brooklyn and just run there. Often the end point was some ethnic restaurant or a bar. We always found cool new things and we threw Metrocards in our pockets to get back home. I really miss that about NYC, that you could run 20 miles and still be in the city.

I like to run down on Coney Island, it's really pretty down there. A route I've done 3-5 times, is I park down by MCU park, run down Surf Ave. a few blocks and hang a right on 23rd or 24th, up to Neptune, over and back down. Then go to the beach and chill for awhile

Forest Park in Queens is nice, though small. Not sure this qualifies, but I recently started working in Jersey City (10 minute ride on the path train) and Liberty State park is great for views of downtown and NY harbor.

MTA: Also my pic is from a race on the Staten Island greenbelt trail.